Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played my first game today and was very surprised how much I enjoyed this game. The feel is just spot on and it really sunk its teeth into me.

One thing I'm curious about, as a person who didn't follow this kickstarter, is playing with just the paper map viable long term? Do people see the paper map as more of an intro tool?

I think the expansions had another paper map or two is why I'm asking and since the map does delineate the play area so perfectly, it does seem more than just an intro tool. Not sure though.

What are people planning on doing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson
United States
The Plains
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The KS had options for neoprene mats to replace the paper ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
charlest wrote:
Played my first game today and was very surprised how much I enjoyed this game. The feel is just spot on and it really sunk its teeth into me.

One thing I'm curious about, as a person who didn't follow this kickstarter, is playing with just the paper map viable long term? Do people see the paper map as more of an intro tool?

I think the expansions had another paper map or two is why I'm asking and since the map does delineate the play area so perfectly, it does seem more than just an intro tool. Not sure though.

What are people planning on doing?

I like the paper mat but I worry it will not hold up to a lot of play. You could laminate it at a print store or I actually plan on cutting mine down into 10x10 squares (along the existing fold lines) and mounting them to foamcore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake Rose
United States
Aiken
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After a few games on the paper mat using the plastic barriers and cars and stuff I intend to jump right into using my 3d/wargaming/28mm trailer park, convenience store and other terrain I use for modern miniatures gaming. I'm only using their mat as a quick way of learning the game without incurring set up/tear down time costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"This is a really weird game, and you’ll find that most people will not want to play this."
mb
Because AOW is aimed at boardgamers, Mantic felt the need to include something to delineate the playing space, but nothing that was going to jack the price of starter sets into three-figure territory. If this were just another tabletop gaming ruleset they would have simply made suggestions about table-size (for instance, the rulebook just says 'Define a 20" by 20" playing area on a flat surface') and let you go from there to create your own. The maps themselves don't have a direct impact on the game & in that regard are simply to note boundaries and are otherwise purely decorative. There is a neoprene (mouse pad) mat available at retail that you can buy for $30 but (other than maybe the fold-lines) the paper maps function just fine.

Ronnie has said that the ruler & killzone template are 2 things he would actually like to have available in plastic, as those do get a fair amount of use in a game & will likely chip and wear over time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Ross
msg tools
Saw this on the Facebook group and did it to mine too. Works great!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K J
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
3D terrain of course. Will be making my own terrain boards to play this game on. Just ordered the Terrain Booster pack instead of having those boring cardbaord cars and stuff. So given a bit of time and work...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United Kingdom
Stevenage
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Been looking at this game and wondered if people have made their own scenery yet?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charlie Theel
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just stuck with the paper maps and cardboard counters so far. I've gotten mileage out of the 2d terrain tiles for Sergeants Miniatures Game: Day of Days as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Taylor
United States
Lake Forest
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Mars Attacks: The Miniatures Game terrain works very well naturally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.