Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
20 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Character art - how are the female characters portrayed? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I love fantasy games and this one looks like it'll be one of the best! My major problem with these types of games, however, is the oversexualized female characters. I haven't noticed that with Gloomhaven in any of the art I've seen, but for those who own the game, have you noticed an excess of skin in any of the characters or cards?

Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio Caciolli
Italy
Padua
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Character are - how are the female characters portrayed?
no, but the game has not been shipped yet ... so ...

I think you can see on the images on BGG the images

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Finland
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Character are - how are the female characters portrayed?
This blog post should answer to your question, but beware possible image spoilers. There shouldn't be an issue regarding your concern with this game. One quote:
Isaac Childres wrote:
It took quite a while to get my artist (who is amazing) to realize [...] what I wanted in the portraits. There were a lot of emails asking for more clothing or for everyone to not be rail-thin.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Antonio8080 wrote:
no, but the game has not been shipped yet ... so ...

I think you can see on the images on BGG the images



Of course - I knew that. I guess the 300 people on BGG who "own" this game only own it in spirit for now!
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
batanen wrote:
This blog post should answer to your question, but beware possible image spoilers. There shouldn't be an issue regarding your concern with this game. One quote:
Isaac Childres wrote:
It took quite a while to get my artist (who is amazing) to realize [...] what I wanted in the portraits. There were a lot of emails asking for more clothing or for everyone to not be rail-thin.


Thanks!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
infinityoverpi
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:

I guess the 300 people on BGG who "own" this game only own it in spirit for now!


I guess that depends, do you own something in "spirit" if you buy it off of Amazon while waiting for it to arrive at your house?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gillatino wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

I guess the 300 people on BGG who "own" this game only own it in spirit for now!


I guess that depends, do you own something in "spirit" if you buy it off of Amazon while waiting for it to arrive at your house?


I believe that technically you (and at least 300 other people are right). But I never really consider myself owning it until I get it in my hands! But, if I've already paid for it...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
"Owning" games on BGG includes preorders, I assume. The game hasn't been shipped yet.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Heilz wrote:
"Owning" games on BGG includes preorders, I assume.


There's a separate collection category for preorders. Most people would only mark the game as owned once they actually receive it.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
infinityoverpi
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Heilz wrote:
"Owning" games on BGG includes preorders, I assume.


Most people would only mark the game as owned once they actually receive it.


I doubt it. Soon as I hit purchase and money is sent, I own it. Preorder is just a temporary state of existence for the game.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gillatino wrote:
DaviddesJ wrote:
Heilz wrote:
"Owning" games on BGG includes preorders, I assume.


Most people would only mark the game as owned once they actually receive it.


I doubt it. Soon as I hit purchase and money is sent, I own it. Preorder is just a temporary state of existence for the game.


Sometimes I think that I'm living in a temporary state of existence.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
gillatino wrote:
I doubt it. Soon as I hit purchase and money is sent, I own it. Preorder is just a temporary state of existence for the game.


But sometimes it lasts for two years?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Cargill
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
One die to roll them all
badge
One die to roll them all
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Heilz wrote:
"Owning" games on BGG includes preorders, I assume.


There's a separate collection category for preorders. Most people would only mark the game as owned once they actually receive it.

This is what I normally do, will mark as 'preordered' and comment that it has been Kickstarted so I'm able to organise my collection better, just have too many entries as it is

Back to the original question I believe all the female art in this game will be what you're looking for based off of what I've seen.. The art for me is different to your regular fantasy tropes in terms of aesthetics which is what originally appealed to me in the first place!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
infinityoverpi
msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
gillatino wrote:
I doubt it. Soon as I hit purchase and money is sent, I own it. Preorder is just a temporary state of existence for the game.


But sometimes it lasts for two years?


True, that is unfortunate, but then there is the element of investing (Kickstarter) vs preorder. Completely different things, but I still run giggling to my collection to update it after I purchase.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
birchbeer
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
I love fantasy games and this one looks like it'll be one of the best! My major problem with these types of games, however, is the oversexualized female characters. I haven't noticed that with Gloomhaven in any of the art I've seen, but for those who own the game, have you noticed an excess of skin in any of the characters or cards?

Thanks!


I sure hope so! I buy these games so I can show my wife what I want her to wear while we're playing!
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
Check out all my instructional How to Play videos at youtube.com/GamingRulesVideos
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Back on topic.

I own the game and the artwork is fine regarding female characters. There's lots of artwork on cephalofair.com if you want to look. Just don't read much as it may contain spoilers.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PaulGrogan wrote:
Bla bla bla

I own the game bla bla bla


Rub it in, will ya
16 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Karrde
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Continuing to dereail thread, I originally had this marked as "Preordered", but then also added the "Owned" tag recently (along with on a couple other Kickstarted games shipping soon *fingers crossed*) to make it obvious to my Secret Santa that I had already bought it in the off chance that they go crazy and get me something extra.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Vinyard
United States
Las Cruces
NM
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I mark them owned and preordered. At one point I would follow the pattern of marking preordered, then marking owned when it arrived, but I got in a bad habit of not making the switch when they arrived.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jochen Wiesner
Germany
Düsseldorf
Nordrhein-Westfalen
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmb
Isaac made a blog post back in August 2015 specifically calling out his vision of representation of women in fantasy games. So there is nothing to fear here.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.