Subject: Bit of a dirty glass rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever been over to someone's house-- someone who you thought that you knew-- and been offered a dirty glass for your drink?
Not a recently-used glass, but one that has obviously been in a dishwasher and now has crusted "bits" in the bottom or on the side?

One that you don't know how to politely say to them, "I'd rather have a clean glass, thanks."?

One that makes you wonder what kind of secret life that they lead; that they could first of all allow such an occurrence to happen but most of all that they could be so unobservant about it? Are they blissfully ignorant or does this thing happen all the time, as you are convinced that it must, and they find it acceptable because they obviously can't afford to replace the dishwasher so they can abide the odd crumb floating in their milk, juice, or beer, and-- even when you are alone in the kitchen and attempt to swap it out you discover that none of their glasses match each other so it is going to be obvious that you swapped glasses and, yet, you check another glass and it, too, has some sort of filthy stain on the bottom and you realize that this is normality for them so the best you can do is attempt to rinse it out without asking them where they keep the scouring pads, which, you know in your heart of hearts, they must not even own, because otherwise the dishes that they use would obviouosly be cleaner than they are and, besides, it's crusted on so well that even a welding torch wouldn't remove it so why are you making such a big deal about a bit of old food which has been sanitized in a (admittedly inferior quality) dishwasher anyway so it's not like it's poisonous or anything so why does your stomach still turn, your bile still rise, your gag reflex still refuse to engage, and your mind refuse to shut off and ignore the attrocity that is your drinking vessel and-- god damn it! you've been in the kitchen by yourself for so long now that they probably think that you're pissing in their sink or masturbating, or something, so you'd better come up with a good excuse or, or, or maybe they're all talking and you can slip back into the room and no one is going to quiz you, because hey! why would they??

Er...
No. Me neither. blush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
Life lesson: Hamsters are NOT diswasher safe.
badge
There are 10 types of people-- those who understand binary, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was a sales manager for a pharmaceutical company and had to visually inspect my reps storage of samples once/year - unannounced. I'd meet them in the morning and say "let's go to your house."

The sheer panic was incredible. So many of them pleaded with me to not look at the mess the house was in and I assured them I was only there to count the samples.

But.....I never could figure out how some of these folks lived. The mess in some homes was astounding, stuff everywhere. I wouldn't have let my dog drink out of a bowl in some of those places.

However, the samples were well-kept.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
We don't have a dishwasher. I typically fill the sink up with hot soapy water and dump everything in. My approach is to grab a plate, or a handful of spoons, forks, and butter knives out of the soap, give them a quick scrubbing with a sponge/scourer, drop them in the 'clean' sink, and rinse them off at the end. Sometimes I miss a bit, or something was more stuck on and I didn't feel it when I was scrubbing or rinsing, and it makes it off of the drying rack and into the cupboard.

If I notice it when I'm setting the table, and it's egregious, I'll do something about it. But most of the time, my attitude is that those were washed, and if it bothers you, go and wash it yourself.

Important caveat: my wife does not, in any way, endorse what you have just read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Andersen
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
We don't have a dishwasher.

Um, er, uh, yes you do have a dishwasher. cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
We don't have a dishwasher. I typically fill the sink up with hot soapy water and dump everything in.

This is your first mistake.

I have never owned a dishwasher, and have always followed this formula that Mum taught me when doing the dishes.

1. Fill the sink with hot soapy water, taking care not to dump everything in at once.

2. Wash glassware first, in water that has not had everything dumped in it. Glass is the most unforgiving thing to clean. Better to do it with the cleanest water.

3. Do plates and crockery next, in water that has not had everything dumped in it.

4. Do eating utensils and cooking pot/pans last. If you do these first, the water will be well and truly garked up for the glassware and other things. If they are really dirty and unrinsed it will be like you are trying to do the rest of your dishes in soup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Takeaway pizza - arrives in a box and you eat with your fingers

Sandwich - eat slice of meat then stuff one slice of bread in mouth

Water - buy bottled water. Refill from tap as many times as you like

This is the 21st century people. Crockery, cutlery and glassware are a thing of the past.

If someone is in your house and asks for a glass of water, demand they provide their own glass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Ackroyd
United Kingdom
Brighton
E Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of friends with glasswear like this.
But, like Banichi I'm a washing-up subject matter expert.
I find it quite difficult. Surreptitious washing up is my usual approach.

A close relative is the worst. No apparent realisation that washed items should be rinsed with clean water and left to drain in a way that water does not gather in them.

Or ability to load their dishwasher in a sane manner.

Yet, when they come to my house they feel the need to wash-up for me. Very badly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Gloomhaven is a great niche game
mbmbmbmbmb
Banichi wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
We don't have a dishwasher. I typically fill the sink up with hot soapy water and dump everything in.

(proceeds to explain to a grown-ass man how to wash dishes)

Umm, thanks. You seem like a fun person to have around. Here, let me describe how I wipe, and you tell me how I've got it wrong...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Hathorn
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Banichi wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Umm, thanks. You seem like a fun person to have around. Here, let me describe how I wipe, and you tell me how I've got it wrong...

Right to left. Right to left.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Jennings
United States
San Diego
CA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
JohnnyOffice wrote:
slowcorner wrote:
Banichi wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Right to left. Right to left.

Thanks for that. Now all I can think of is what a buttocks would look like with a horizontal crack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Jorgensen
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
slowcorner wrote:
Banichi wrote:
slowcorner wrote:

Nope. You can keep getting that wrong all by yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see any reason not to discuss theories of dishwashing. The only reason I could see for you to be so defensive is that you're doing it wrong and are too proud to admit it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Knight
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love it when two non-game related threads overlap. Like this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.