Subject: Ireland rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone still working on a version that adds ireland?

just had a great game with my two older sons and would want to revisit that topic.

Andreas

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
“It's all in the mind.” ― George Harrison
badge
Devoted Follower of the Most Holy Church of the Evil Bob. Possessed and down the road to become chaotic, evil & naughty. All hail the Evil Bob and his Stargate.
mbmbmbmbmb
There was an ireland map overlay and variant in an old General (for the AH version of course).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I believe Lew is still working on his new edition, which will include Ireland on the board and an Epic version that incorporates it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the fast replies. I know the old General insert, always found it lacking as not adding much game to the game. I have toyed around with Jim Lawlers version a bit. I know the Lewis Pulsipher is working on an epic brit, but is doing so for many years. I want to play know. I do have a version that uses 9 areas in Ireland, but am not very talented in creating pieces, maps, etc. Lots of talent is out there on BGG, I wonder if some are working on an Ireland add on to Brit2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One year later, I have had a couple of fun games with my kids and have revisited the ireland variants I used earlier. Some updates were needed to make them more userfriendly and more attractive to my 10-12 year old kids.

With the Wikipedia map as basis I updated the game map and I tried to make the colors similar to the original FFG version. I am still not sure how to make the straits. I have scanned the FFG map and am considering to make a complete new game map. Some more playtesting is needed before I will embark on this.

I also created new counters for a more visual appealing game. I based these on the nice work Dave de Vil did for his Brit variants. Pictures are from Gripping Beasts SAGA line - I find they have a similar dynamic as the FFG pictures.

Some of the colors have changed and I am happy with the new distribution. Caledonians are now yellow, Scots are green - the Ui Niall are yellow and the Dal Cais are blue. Dubliners and Norsemen are now one red faction (essentially the Uí Ímair also some of the more prominent members of that group are part of the Danish countermix)- mainly trying to raid in the north of Ireland, Scotland and England. Danes get points in the south of Ireland.

Angles are split into three factions, a small Jutes-like faction of green East Angles giving the green player some more traction in the German migration, and Northumbrians and Mercians, the latter yellow, allowing the yellow player to join in with the other German tribes.

In our experience, this makes sure, that the Belgae do not survive as long as they do in our vanilla games. It also makes the invasion a bit more easy for the Danish, although in our FFG games this seems to be less of a problem as with my old Gibson Games version.

I still wonder if I should through in Magnus Barelegs as an additional faction who goes last in XVI. He would be an interesting character to have on board. Lewis Pulsipher has him in the line-up for his Britannia3 - not sure where that game currently is in development.

Screenshot from the new counters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Files are on the file section. I would welcome any feedback as well as scores by nation if anyone but me really builds and plays this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would like to try this variant, but it would help to have a overview file explaining exactly how to modify and add to the existing components and special rules.

Here's my understanding of what I need:

Ireland overlay map
Lindsey overlay map

2 files of scoring cards to add to or replace the old ones:
Blue:
Lagin
Del Cais
replace Angles with Mercians
replace Normans? (the file has a card, but it looks unchanged)
old Belgae
old Picts

Green:
East Angles
replace Caledonians with new Scots
replace Danes
replace Welsh? (the file has a card, but it looks unchanged)
replace Jutes? (the file has a card, but it looks unchanged)

Red:
replace Irish with Eoganachta
replace Norsemen
old Brigantes
old Saxons

Yellow:
Ui Niall
Northumbrians
Magnus III Barelags
replace Norwegians
replace Scots with new Caledonians (they are missing from the scoring track excel)
old Romans
old Romano-British

Print the following new pieces and shift some existing pieces to new nations:
Blue:
new Lagin
new Del Cais

Angles for Mercians
old Normans
old Belgae
old Picts

Green:
new East Angles
Caledonians for Scots
old Danes
old Welsh
old Jutes

Red
Irish for Eoganachta
old Norsemen
old Brigantes
old Saxons

Yellow:
new Ui Niall
new Magnus III Barelags

Dubliners for Norwegians (not sure why you switched the Norwegians symbol)
Scots for Caledonians
Norwegians for Northumbrians (not sure why you didn't use Dubliners for Northumbrians)
old Romans
old Romano-British

Can you message me the files for the additional pieces needed (bold above)?

What appears to be missing are:
Round-by-round invasion chart overlay
Nation turn order overlay
Special rules:
New starting set-up
Any changes to the unit counts for existing pieces
What is the difference between the yellow/brown/green areas in Ireland/Man?
Are any of the Irish/Man areas highlands?
What is the difference between yellow and green water crossings?
Any other special rules?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Some more questions from looking more carefully at the score cards:
Which nations are considered Irish?
Which nations are considered Vikings?
Where's the line between Irish Sea and Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland?
Looks like Dal Cais have special rules for round 14, scoring control points and a special King vote like Cnut?
Eoganachta also get points round 14?
Scots have the old rule that they must land north of Cumbria, but not clear how that applies to Ireland/Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas Brueckner
Germany
Loerrach
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Ryan,
Normans, Welsh and Jutes cards have minor changes. Normans a note on the Settled Nations rule, Welsh and Jutes new leader references.

Yes Caledonians are missing on the scoring track sheet. will upload change.

I have not prepared a "Round-by-round invasion chart overlay" yet. Time permitting I will do that sometimes this year. I use the one given in the rule so far.
I have made a Nation turn order overlay and will upload it. All copy/Cut & paste - do not expect graphical excellence.

New starting set-up - is described in the rules.
Any changes to the unit counts for existing pieces is described in the rules
What is the difference between the yellow/brown/green areas in Ireland/Man? Green, i.e. Connaught is a holding zone. Brown are difficult terrain. Color was dictated by the way I created the map as a shaded version of the WIKIPDEIA IRLAND map (with transparent powerpoint overlays).

Are any of the Irish/Man areas highlands? All with the exception of Dublin and Wexford.

What is the difference between yellow and green water crossings?
Irish Map Long Straits:
Straits arrows connecting Ireland with Britain and the Isle of Mann are handled the same as regular strait except they can carry a maximum of two armies at one time. The exceptions to this are the Mann / Galloway and the Ulster / Dalradia straits which are treated as standard straits.

Refer to the rules for which nations are considered Irish and Vikings Vikings:

British, Irish and Viking Nations:
The term Irish is used, to represent the five Irish Nations in the game, Lagin, Scots, Ui’Niall, Eoganachta and Dal Cais. The British Nations consist of the original inhabitants of Britain, Welsh, Belgae, Brigantes, Picts and Caldedonians. The term Vikings is used, to represent all the Norse Nations in the game, Danes, Normans, Norsemen and Norwegians as well as their Hibernian counterparts. Finally the German Nations consist of Mercians, Northumbrians and East Angles (all formerly known as Angles), Jutes and Saxons.

Where's the line between Irish Sea and Atlantic Ocean west of Ireland?
Argh - not there yet. Might make sense to put it bordering Connaught.
(Edit: map changed, border is now there)

Looks like Dal Cais have special rules for round 14, scoring control points and a special King vote like Cnut? yes

Eoganachta also get points round 14? No. Typo.

Scots have the old rule that they must land north of Cumbria, but not clear how that applies to Ireland/Man. No restrictions in Ireland, as this is their place of origin. New armies from Irish Nations start of in the Connaught holding box.

Re: Dubliners for Norwegians (not sure why you switched the Norwegians symbol)

I wanted all the Viking Nations to have the Dragon Boat Symbol. All the Germanic Nations have the Axe (with the exception of the East Angles who got the appropriate Helmet)

Iconography is not always clear (cf. Spear for Caledonians - whereas all the other British Nations have a round shield), but I did not want to touch that as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Keane
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmb
Great, thanks! I'll go through the rules and start putting this together.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.