Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

Pyramid Arcade» Forums » General

Subject: European copy received! Also: other games one can play with the 'mids?! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Woooohoooo! Today I received my very own copy of the Arcade, all complete and in perfect shape! Thank you so much to the Loonies for creating this awesome game-system! Even my wife loved the Arcade and played a round of old-fashioned Caldera with me rightaway -- and she wants to try all of the games in the Arcade (with the possible exception of Homeworlds )

Also, I recently did some home-made cards for Onitama and I also discovered King's Valley. Both of which I can now play with the 'mids. Is there a list of ordinarily non-pyramid games that one can use the 'mids for instead (I know about this list)? -- To be clear, I'd certainly buy the other games. But some of them are hard to get. And then, my shelf is aching under the influx of new games. So anything that goes with the same physical pieces and only requires a set of rules (and maybe very few easily stored extra components) is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spencer C
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember seeing a couple of these lists. Here's one: Games you can play with an Icehouse set, that weren't designed as Icehouse games

But you're probably well off playing games designed for the pyramids for now, because there are so many other great games.

One game you could pretty easily play with the pyramid arcade is Coloretto, but I would (very biasedly) prefer if you triedmy take on a Pyramid twist of it instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where did you get the (files for the) Onitama cards?
That is one I would like to try, too.

I would like to try Tak -- admittedly it's not ideal with having to lay down the pyramids, but I got the Tak e-book (getting the game was way too expensive with shipping to Europe) and really want to put my pyramids to good use for this.

Edit: Last year's abstract hit Santorini (I know it's really an older game, but had a very successful, less abstract Kickstarter last year) should be adaptable with pyramids on a Volcano board very well, especially if you leave out the "gods" or special player powers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Where did you get the (files for the) Onitama cards?
That is one I would like to try, too.

Actually, I didn't use any files. I just looked over on the Onitama section. There are some pictures of all the cards. So I basically hand-copied those. They're not great, but they're useable. We laminated the cards. I must admit I've since thought about making some files with a slightly nicer design than what I've got now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
UanarchyK wrote:
I remember seeing a couple of these lists. Here's one: Games you can play with an Icehouse set, that weren't designed as Icehouse games

But you're probably well off playing games designed for the pyramids for now, because there are so many other great games.

One game you could pretty easily play with the pyramid arcade is Coloretto, but I would (very biasedly) prefer if you triedmy take on a Pyramid twist of it instead.

Thanks for pointing me to these! I'll try your Coloretto variant one of these days.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
I would like to try Tak -- admittedly it's not ideal with having to lay down the pyramids, but I got the Tak e-book (getting the game was way too expensive with shipping to Europe) and really want to put my pyramids to good use for this.

Tak is certainly worth trying, but not at all suited to playing with pyramids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
russ wrote:
Gswp wrote:

Tak is certainly worth trying, but not at all suited to playing with pyramids.

The biggest pickle is how to stand a stone on top of lying-down ones -- I was thinking that standing pyramids could be lying down stones, and the standing up stones would be represented by pyramids of a different colour.
One would play with medium-sized pyramids as regular pieces, and the capstone is a big pyramid. Or vice versa... Something like that. Clunky, yeah, but it would work, I think.

I agree it's not great, but I wasn't willing to pay the shipping price for an actual set from the Kickstarter (it would have been about as expensive as the set itself), and Pyramid Arcade comes with such a nice 5x5 board.
I guess I could just try to get square wooden pieces that fit on the volcano board, though I am not sure where one would buy such things.

Anyway, back to pyramid games...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
The biggest pickle is how to stand a stone on top of lying-down ones -- I was thinking that standing pyramids could be lying down stones, and the standing up stones would be represented by pyramids of a different colour.
One would play with medium-sized pyramids as regular pieces, and the capstone is a big pyramid. Or vice versa... Something like that. Clunky, yeah, but it would work, I think.

I agree it's not great, but I wasn't willing to pay the shipping price for an actual set from the Kickstarter (it would have been about as expensive as the set itself), and Pyramid Arcade comes with such a nice 5x5 board.
I guess I could just try to get square wooden pieces that fit on the volcano board, though I am not sure where one would buy such things.

There are some more ideas in this image thread:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/3260689/tak

The problem with the 5x5 volcano board, however, is there is no room in the cells to lay down a pyramid, or "tap" one by turning it sideways.

Let us know if you happen onto a good solution!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.