Subject: POLL TIME!!! Help me decide which games to return rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I went on a massive buying binge recently but decided I bought too much and now want to return some. But I can't decide! So help me - I need to decide by Monday morning.

Wits & Wagers
Why I bought: popular party game
Why I might return: dislike trivia games

Lords of Scotland
Why I bought: cool artwork, decent rating
Why I might return: too many filler card games already

Knit Wit
Why I bought: mother might like it
Why I might return: games like this devolve into arguing

Dixit
Why I bought: for the cards
Why I might return: redundant with Dixit Journey

Small World
Why I bought: kind of like it
Why I might return: no one to play with, have it on ipad

Sheriff of Nottingham
Why I bought: like it
Why I might return: have too many unplayed 3-5 player games already

IOTA
Why I bought: I like gamewright and mensa select games
Why I might return: redundant with Qwirkle

Time to vote!!

Poll
What to do?
  Keep Return Gift/Donate
Wits & Wagers
Lords of Scotland
Knit Wit
Small World
Dixit
Sheriff of Nottingham
Iota
      77 answers
Poll created by snapdragon23
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I voted "return" on everything because you've got a large enough collection that if you're so marginal on even keeping something, then it almost certainly won't see play and you might as well return it.

Alternately, you could send them to me. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anna F.
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like your reasoning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jamie Vantries
United States
Woodbury
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
I voted "return" on everything because you've got a large enough collection that if you're so marginal on even keeping something, then it almost certainly won't see play and you might as well return it.

Agreed. You've got really valid reasons to not keep each of them. Return/gift all of 'em.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Taufeek
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mb
I totally understand how you feel. Even though my collection is not nearly as large as yours, I always have the urge to buy games that I think are amazing.

That being said, I can only really say 3 things.

1. Wit's and Wagers: This is an incredibly fun party game for the the non-gamer/casual gamer crowd. You described it as a trivia game, it's more of a guessing game as the questions are designed so that no one really knows the answers. Add in a little betting and you've got a fun time. It's incredibly fun with the right crowd. So don't get rid of it if you think it's a traditional trivia game. NOTE: I hate party games in general, but I keep them in my collection because I know of people who would never play another board/card game, but they go crazy over party games.

2. Dixit: Another Party game that I own. I bought every expansion so I could have as many cards as possible. I bought an expansion "Dixit 3" which is just the journey cards and avoided the redundancy. I don't think it is worth it to buy 2 stand alone games that are the same.

3. Everything Else: In my opinion, apart from party games and crowdfunding projects. If you have games you haven't played yet don't buy more games before you've played the others, or else you may never play them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't like Trivia games usually, but what I like about W&W is that it can be just as much a gamblers games a trivia game. You aren't ever trying to get the right answer. You are going for the best one that was answered. Making good bets is what makes this game for me.

Small world is awesome. Still one of my favorites.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Holly Springs
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I describe Wits and Wagers as a trivia game where you don't have to know trivia.
My only reason for returning it would be that the scoring in Wits and Wagers Family is a little better.
That said, if you like a gambling component, the original game does that quite well.
But otherwise it's a great game and a great series.
I know it's a "party" game but to me it falls in the Codenames party bucket, not the Apples to Apples bucket.

I'd return Small World - UNLESS you want to use it as a "hey, you like Risk, right?" gateway game (and admittedly I haven't browsed your collection.) My reasoning is that pretty much any decently large group of gamers, someone will have Small World. Same reason I didn't buy any Dominion after the first game.

Dixit's another interesting "hey, you like A2A?" gateway game. Plus the art is just awesome and bizarre in itself. That said, it can be a little tricky for a "party game" so it could go back if you don't need that niche.

I've never played any of the others, so return them ;)
Knit Wit - any game that you know is likely to devolve into arguing, you don't need to keep. I don't need a game to start an argument.
Iota - donate. just because.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
snapdragon23 wrote:
So I went on a massive buying binge recently but decided I bought too much and now want to return some. But I can't decide! So help me - I need to decide by Monday morning.

Wits & Wagers
Why I bought: popular party game
Why I might return: dislike trivia games

Lords of Scotland
Why I bought: cool artwork, decent rating
Why I might return: too many filler card games already

Knit Wit
Why I bought: mother might like it
Why I might return: games like this devolve into arguing

Dixit
Why I bought: for the cards
Why I might return: redundant with Dixit Journey

Small World
Why I bought: kind of like it
Why I might return: no one to play with, have it on ipad

Sheriff of Nottingham
Why I bought: like it
Why I might return: have too many unplayed 3-5 player games already

IOTA
Why I bought: I like gamewright and mensa select games
Why I might return: redundant with Qwirkle

Wits and Wagers - Keep, it's a figure out who knows the answer game and everyone has a good time for a little while.

Lords o' Scotland - Return.

Knit Wit - Gift to your Mother.

Dixit - Trust me, new cards are never bad. Have you seen Dixit: Memories? It has gold foil Also if you play it with anyone under 10 there is a good chance a card or two will suffer mortal wounds, and be retired.

Small World - Return, I play occasionally on my iPad too, if you don't think you'll play IRL, pack it back.

Sheriff of Nottingham - Keep! Where's that adventuring spirit? Besides, you like it! You'll play it eventually, what about meeting someone else who likes it too, you'd give that up?

IOTA - Gift it, great stocking stuffer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
15 Keys
United States
Living in the Delco
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:

Agreed. If seven games are too much for you to buy, then reducing it to six games won't make it much better. Return them all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.