10 Posts

Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: A couple questions on magnetization rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kenton Watson
msg tools
Hi all,

Current owner of the game pursuing the thought of magnetization on an extra set of armor kits. I've been doing my research, but still have a couple questions:

1. I've seen some people talk about putting a magnet in the back of the mini to hold a shield, extra weapon, quiver, etc. I'm very intrigued by this but feel a bit lost on details. For anyone who's done this, do you find it worth it? Does it work on all the armor sets? Some of the ones (Rawhide, Lantern come to mind), seem more complicated.

2. I'm also hoping to either paint or get painted my magnetized miniatures. To anyone who's done this or gotten it done, how do you find it? It seems like it would naturally limit the detail you could apply, since the pieces need to all go together to at least some degree. I've considered the cracked stone look from the Kickstarter, but I really do like the idea of a more traditional paint job.

Thanks so much to anyone who take the time to read and respond!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Fox
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While i have not magnetize my kdm, i have magnetize my warmachine jacks. I have not had a problem with the magnets being painted, they still stuck. Oneword of caution if this your first time magneyizing. Be careful of polarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've done it with a reasonably strong magnet. However, I've only done rawhide kits (using them as generic armor sets with WYSIWYG weapons).

If you use tiny magnets, paint could screw it up, but a strong magnet will allow pretty serious distance- my rawhide backs have maybe 1/8" plastic between them and they hold up to anything short of violent shaking. My wrists are clean, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas D
United States
High Point
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My surfing skills everyone.
mbmbmbmbmb
I ended up just magnetizing the arms. I found this to be very efficient with plenty of variety. Essentially this can give you four survivors with attire within a set and then any weapon you need. To me it's enough, though I have heard of far more magnets. The arms look really good and you can't tell they are magnetized, so I'm happy.

I thought about the back mounted weapons. You could certainly do this and I was planning on it but ran out of magnets. I had planned on doing just a few survivors and then magnetizing the shields and weapons that would fit a the small magnets.

Haven't started the painting process, but I will likely go with a more uniform model like the kickstarter if I every bother too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenton Watson
msg tools
Thanks for the input so far, guys. I've definitely seen the arms only approach and considered it. I am leaning towards full magnetization, though. The time isn't too much of a concern to me, and since it's an extra set, I can always play with the normals if I prefer. Just seems like a neat thing to have around.

Does anyone have some more direct input on the first question? I'd love to even see pictures, if anyone has some (of where you drilled, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I drilled straight into the back, stuck in a big magnet, and put modelling putty over it to preserve the texture when not using an item on the back. Then, on the back items, I just stuck a magnet in. With the polarities stacking, it's not super-stable, but you can actually do stuff like attach a quiver and shield at once.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://adventuresinminiaturegaming.blogspot.com/2016/06/king...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Pierce
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Wow, a lot of great info in that article. Wish I had read it prior to learning a lot of it myself

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
My name is
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:

Nice ressource, thanks!
But if I learned something from it, it is that there's almost no margin for error.
It seems almost impossible to drill so many holes and not screw it once.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Welter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
baylock wrote:
Sam and Max wrote:

Nice ressource, thanks!
But if I learned something from it, it is that there's almost no margin for error.
It seems almost impossible to drill so many holes and not screw it once.

But the armor kits come with more heads and arms then you need. Usually there's at least one extra set of male, and one extra set of female arms. And there's usually two copies of each head. So it's not a problem if you mess up a few times.

I haven't done any magnets on the backs. Maybe I'll try it, but I've already painted several of them and don't want to go back and try to change those. I was thinking I'd just use some of the open hands to attach items or a quiver to, and magnetize them to the wrists as normal.

As for painting, it is a pain to paint the little bits separately, but I attach them to a stand and that helps. The only tricky thing is you have to have a really consistent way to paint the flesh, because you need all the skin on all the different pieces to match.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.