Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Upgrading Tokens rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: bling [+] [View All]
Chad Phares
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If I want to upgrade the clue and doom tokens with separate tokens is 20 enough of each or should I get 30 of each?
I might be playing this solo or with 2, waiting on a friend to make a decision.
Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Marino
United States
Windsor
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Great Googly Moogly!
badge
That's the sealiest thing I've ever heard!
mbmbmbmbmb

20 of each should be fine...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
As an almost joke, I just tried to see how high I could theoretically get Doom in this game. Clue tokens can't scale, and I just can't see more than 20 ever being needed, so there is nothing fun to do there.

As for Doom: I think in an impossibly perfect scenario that Doom can be at 23 in a 4 player game. You'd need to be in the second scenario at the start of mythos phase and place the 7th doom token on the agenda card (of the 8 to flip it). Then the first player would need to draw a cultist (adding 1 doom). The second player would also draw a cultist (adding another doom). The third and fourth would need to both draw Mysterious Chanting, each adding 2 doom. So now you're at 13 Doom at the start of the player phase. If the first player plays Drawn to the Flame and the encounter card is the final cultist, adding another doom, you'll be at 14. For the other two actions they can play Arcane Initiate twice, each adding 1 doom. So now we're at 16. Off the top of my head there are no other cards in the encounter deck that would add doom, so the other players wouldn't be able to add doom with Drawn to the Flame. You could (if playing with the correct Investigators) have the 2nd player play 2 more Arcane Initiates, bringing the total to 18, and players 3 & 4 could do the same. Now you're at 22. If there was any other card that could be played to add doom, they could use their 3rd action to do it, but off the top of my head there currently isn't. So with 4 Investigators, all using 2 Arcane Initiates, and a single Drawn to the Flame (all on the same turn!), you could get up to 23 when the Mythos Phase comes back around and you add one doom before checking if the limit has been met.

Theoretically this could scale up (probably) 3 more if each other investigator could play a card to add 1 more doom from their hand. Now you could be at 26... And if the total to flip the agenda was 10 instead of 8, it could be at 28. If we had cards that add more than a single doom, this number could be even higher... But remember, in this version the card only needs 10 to flip. If you can some how get it up to 9 to 30 in a single turn, you should probably get some award. And with that I'll just regress to my original statement:

20 of each should be fine...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julius Besser
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We needed a ton of clue tokens for playing through Curse of the Rougarou.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hawk Strike
msg tools
mb
My first upgrade project for the game is tokens. Here's what I've done to customize my tokens:

Custom chaos bag tokens

Custom clue tokens

Here's how they were made:

1. I scanned the cardboard tokens, scaled down to 80%. I also found some pages of books in foreign languages or runes for some of the clue tokens. I printed on regular office paper.

2. I picked up glass beads, which you can get from gaming stores, or much more cheaply from craft or variety stores where they are sold for flower arranging. Also get some decoupage glue (I've been recommended the Modge-Podge brand, but couldn't get it at the store I was at so tried something else that seems to work). You need a glue that dries clear. I had some acrylic paint and matte spray already for minatures. Total cost: under $10.

3. Apply glue to the bottom of the bead, and press firmly onto the spot you want to reflect (token, or section of page). Allow to dry. Once dry, put another coat of the glue on the back of the paper; allow to dry.

4. Carefully cut out the glued token very closely to the bead, being careful not to lift the edge much.

5. Trim the edge of the cut-out bead (I actually used a little sandpaper for the last bit). Apply a third coat of glue to seal the back and edges to the bead.

6. Once all the coats have dried, paint the back of the bead with acrylic or enamel paint to seal and cover the paper.

7. Once the paint is dry, spray the back with a clear seal coat (I used matte spray).

8. Play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.