Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I realize the mashup of Disney's Frozen and wargaming probably isn't immediately an obvious one, but...I suspect most of us have THAT game in our collection...You know it...the one that doesn't get nearly enough attention because you simply cannot find someone to enjoy it with you.

So ... fess up... what's THAT game for you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Delp
United States
Franklin
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920. Older game, obscure game, obscure topic. A tough sell.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
For Bloody Honor: The Russian Civil War
Not a topic that everyone digs AND I have and prefer the DTP version over the ATO edition...so it ain't purty enuf for more discriminating gamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judd Vance
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
Every Man a (K-State) Wildcat!
badge
"Just get that sucka to the designated place at the designated time and I will gladly designate his ass...for dismemberment!" - Sho Nuff.
mbmbmbmbmb

I won't play the scenarios. I think the magic of the game lies in the Progress of the War, Political Will, and the Chinese & India fronts. If you leave this stuff out, it's not the same game.

However, the campaign long is too long to play face to face. The difficulty level of it scares a lot of players.

The solitaire system just wasn't the same because I always knew what my opponent was holding and what forces he could bring to bear.

As a result, I haven't played this in years (outside of the solitaire system), but those games back then were some of the best games that I ever played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Dauphin
Canada
Belleville
Ontario
flag msg tools

The one?

OK, I'll stick to one.

BattleFleet Mars

I don't know why exactly. Maybe because it's old, not too pretty...?

But it's a great military-political game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Botkin
United States
Morton
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, it would be ANY of the Fleet Series published by Victory Games - but if I had to pick one, it would be 7th Fleet.

There was a period of time in the late 1980's when I lived in Denver and was unemployed at one point. My gaming buddy had recently lost his job as well and our finances allowed us to stay unemployed for several weeks, so we set up and played the campaign game of 7th Fleet. Outstanding memories of those days!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Case Blue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marc lecours
Canada
ottawa
ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rubberchicken wrote:

This is the first game in my collection that came to mind. The others in my group are not interested. They don't feel learning and playing games of that size anymore.

I think this is the first time I have given the classic "Case Blue" answer to a question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tonny Wille
Belgium
9310 Meldert
Oost-Vlaanderen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FAB: The Bulge
First one in this list. I like the FAB series very much but they are a little harder than your average Columbia block game. This makes it hard to get it on the table. Being a block wargame... I'm not able to play it solo.

No Retreat! The Russian Front
Another one with the same problem. Love this game but can't find an opponent. Some would call it an introductory wargame but it is most certainly not. It is a card driven game so once again it is very hard to play this solo. They have made solo rules but I'm not a big fan of those.

Angola
You need 4 players and getting 4 players together is been very problematic. I tried to play this games multiple times but it Always end in the same fashion... I get 4 players but at last minute notice someone can't make it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TigerTrax wrote:
For me, it would be ANY of the Fleet Series published by Victory Games - but if I had to pick one, it would be 7th Fleet.

There was a period of time in the late 1980's when I lived in Denver and was unemployed at one point. My gaming buddy had recently lost his job as well and our finances allowed us to stay unemployed for several weeks, so we set up and played the campaign game of 7th Fleet. Outstanding memories of those days!

Playing 2nd Fleet today! C'mon over!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Axis Empires: Totaler Krieg! and Axis Empires: Dai Senso!. Too big, too long, and too different to get to the table...... Need that time machine too get back to college....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luka Kovač Plavi
Croatia
Našice
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Frozen?

I thought this was a line from the Saw.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Apex
NC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Avtomatik wrote:
Frozen?

I thought this was a line from the Saw.

You've identified that a dad has started this thread..lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger Hobden
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:

Need that time machine to get back to college....

+1

thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps Fighting Formations: Grossdeutschland Motorized Infantry Division - I love Chad Jensen's style but FF is a bit longer and fiddlier than my usual opponents seem interested in, so only Combat Commander gets played (not that there's anything wrong with playing Combat Commander!)

delp1871 wrote:
Red Star/White Eagle: The Russo-Polish War, 1920. Older game, obscure game, obscure topic. A tough sell.

I've not played it, but the topic is interesting to me. Checking it out, I detect recycled art (I do own the C3i edition of Soviet Dawn):

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddy Sterckx
Belgium
Vilvoorde
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The one game I can't get anyone to play is Lancaster

The reason I can't get anyone to play it anymore is because they're sick and tired of me winning at it.

Moral of the story : if you have a game you really, really like, refrain from winning all the time. I know this sounds warped and contrary to how it should be, but that's the way it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Johnston
msg tools
mbmbmb
GDW's Air Superiority.
In fact,ANY air wargame in my collection.Thank heavens for the DVG Leader series,and B-17 / B29 Superfortress.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.