Conflict of Heroes: Eastern Front – Solo Expansion» Forums » General

Subject: print the v55 rules or not ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Myles Carey

Seattle
Washington
msg tools
I haven't got the solo game to the table yet - backlog of games/too little time. When I do will it make sense to get the v55 rules and the other documents printed?

Is there enough changes that it would be pain/confusing to have use the original rules that game in the box?

Thanks,
Myles

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quite a few tweaks to clarify certain aspects have been made; I'd certainly recommend it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 to Rom's recommendation

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Berg Asklev Hansen
Denmark
Vejle
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have the summary tables been changed?
I mostly just use these when playing.

I find it hard to see what has changed in the rules apart from the AI not firing into CC (which I never experienced anyway)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rom Brown
New Zealand
Gisborne
flag msg tools
Live Fast. Love Hard. Die With Your Mask On.
badge
True-Man's come home! ...and he IS the storm!
mbmbmbmbmb
brian asklev aursen wrote:
Have the summary tables been changed?
I mostly just use these when playing.

The latest summary and order flow have both been updated with new info.

brian asklev aursen wrote:
I find it hard to see what has changed in the rules apart from the AI not firing into CC (which I never experienced anyway)

There is more than just updated AI firing into CC.
Check 5.4 (among other things)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is more about clarifying some stuff than changing things.

The 3 most important things to remember that changed/were clarified.

1. A Blue Command card for the AI ALWAYS means now group attack(fire), so adding +1's to the attack of the AI.
Logical since the Blue Command card means these units are never spend after such a card.

2. The extra movement rules for wheeled and tracked vehicules were better explained. Like you can move easier into smoke/uphill. These rules were not changed from the included book but were simply better worded.

3. The priority of which hexes are entered for the AI regarding to cover/attack were equally better worded and explained.

I might also point to the fact that some scenarios had a better explanation regarding the use of the AI and advancing the scenario script.

------

As such I didn't print the new on line rule books since once you know the basic clarifications, you know them by heart.

BTW : It is also nice to have the latest rule/scenario set on your tablet, for any game really. It saves on paper and searching on key words is easier with the tablet.

----

General remark: in view of the fact this AI is leaps and bounds above other solo "agents" in a boardgame, it was only natural you had some clarifications over the system used after publication.

There really is nothing comparable on the market as the AI agent can take actions in relation to an ever changing battefield situation. Unlike games like Gears of War where the agent is fixed for certain units or like the DDay series or Labyrinth where the bot is acting to what a fixed card draw says to do, you have here an evaluation of the board itself by the agent.

Since the CoH system uses a step by step movement/combat system no 2 games or strategy will play out the same by using this agent as the overall board situation changes with every move or combat.

I am very curious how the AI will turn out in a digital way with the Steam/tablet version of CoH Guadalcanal coming in 2017.

It is very clear this solo agent is the best I encountered in 40+ years of solo gaming. Ambush with its advanced paragraph system was equally impressive in the 80's but its replayability was practically zero for each scenario.

As to the additional Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear – Firefight Generator, that still needs a better development I think. I used it 6/7 times and only 2 times a challenging and balanced firefight came out of it in SOLO mode. It can be great in 2 player mode, but I think the end goal was almost set up too high.

But I can not praise enough the CoH AtB solo expansion and what it did to solo wargaming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
the last update was in April. before that, they were pumping out revisions once every month or two. I'd say it's relatively "final"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt R
United States
Philadelphia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
All life is only a set of pictures in the brain, among which there is no difference betwixt those born of real things and those born of inward dreamings, and no cause to value the one above the other.
mbmbmbmbmb
Moe45673 wrote:
the last update was in April. before that, they were pumping out revisions once every month or two. I'd say it's relatively "final"

FWIW, I feel confident enough in this version that I'm considering doing a video. I've wanted to see that the rules were stable for a while first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Karl
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chemkid wrote:
Ben_Bos wrote:

[...]
As such I didn't print the new on line rule books since once you know the basic clarifications, you know them by heart.

BTW : It is also nice to have the latest rule/scenario set on your tablet, for any game really. It saves on paper and searching on key words is easier with the tablet.[...]
totally agree!

...BUT, i'd really love to hear from AG that the rules are final as of v55 and they will produce a 'rules upgrade pack' for everyone who wishes to have the printed rules with their game - because it looks so much nicer!

cheers!

That's not going to happen. Well, anything is possible I suppose.

Time is better spent on new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Bosmans
Belgium
Mechelen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enzo622 wrote:
Moe45673 wrote:

FWIW, I feel confident enough in this version that I'm considering doing a video. I've wanted to see that the rules were stable for a while first.

Kurt, if possible, take the 3rd scenario of the German Campaign. I believe it is number 7.

That one was simply AWESOME when I played it.

Massive Russian AI assault on your defensive Germans and I have seen things happen there that were so surprising they will be burned on my HD forever.

Aie planning made a huge appearing there for the AI, along with other surprising assaults.

The first 2 scenarios are just introductions really. The real meat is in the bigger firefights. Of course the bigger the meat, the more difficult it will be to avoid small consumer mistakes, but like the old ASL rules book already stated, a small interpretation error should not be reversed.

Play along and just see how this game truely unfolds with this Agent in massive firefights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.