Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Design Theory

Subject: Loot and how to distribute it rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
msg tools
Working on a dungeon run game that encourages the party to stick together. Problem is I'm not sure how to split loot evenly. Each trap/monster killed will give the players xp they can trade for items/level up. The problem i've run into is how to give out loot fairly and evenly if the party defeats a room. Any ideas would be welcome
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
guy
Wallis and Futuna
Grand Bois Du Nord
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb

You are overthinking it. The correct way to distribute loot in any group is equal shares. Sure, the weak 1st level thief cowered in the corner while the 80th level mages crushed the dragon, but they all get the same experience points, and they all get an equal share of the loot.

If you are worried about unintended (or anti-intuitive) consequences resulting from this simple and fair scheme, I argue that will be the case for ALL distribution schemes.

Any other distribution scheme can make your ideas of external justice embarrassingly obvious, so be careful playing with psychologists.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Auction, by $$, XP, or anything else. The amount paid goes into the pool, and the last player(s) split the auction proceeds, rounding in favor of the last player in the bidding.

Frex, say you've got three players left over and the kitty is $8 (or 8xp or whatever). The last player gets $3, then the other two players split $5: the (next to) last player gets $3 and the remaining player gets $2.
___

Alternatively: If the loot is heterogeneous (of varying types), one player picks a share he thinks is fair and the other players either take it or pass. If it passes to the initial player, he named his own share.

The next player then names a share.

This is essentially an auction, and so is self balancing.
___

Note that you can put the XP into the pool for auction, using the second method. This may or may not be thematic.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Gunther Herzog
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure that this would necessarily apply to a dungeon setting, but you might want to look at the treasure sharing rules in Tobago for inspiration...

Tobago Rules English.pdf
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Holger Doessing
Denmark
Odense
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
PlowStr8 wrote:
Not sure that this would necessarily apply to a dungeon setting, but you might want to look at the treasure sharing rules in Tobago for inspiration...

Tobago Rules English.pdf

Seconded.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Tall_Walt wrote:
Auction, by $$, XP, or anything else. The amount paid goes into the pool, and the last player(s) split the auction proceeds, rounding in favor of the last player in the bidding.

Frex, say you've got three players left over and the kitty is $8 (or 8xp or whatever). The last player gets $3, then the other two players split $5: the (next to) last player gets $3 and the remaining player gets $2.
___

Alternatively: If the loot is heterogeneous (of varying types), one player picks a share he thinks is fair and the other players either take it or pass. If it passes to the initial player, he named his own share.

The next player then names a share.

This is essentially an auction, and so is self balancing.
___

Note that you can put the XP into the pool for auction, using the second method. This may or may not be thematic.


To see an arful implementation of this method, see the game Mammut. It's basically exactly as Walt described, except when you do the first split, you take the share you want. Then the next person can either take part of the pot that's left OR they can take the share from you but they have to put one piece back. This keeps going until everyone has a share in front of them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B C Z
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time they get loot, they play a side game of Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) to divy up the loot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Gibson
Canada
Powell River
BC
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
byronczimmer wrote:
Every time they get loot, they play a side game of Ca$h 'n Guns (Second Edition) to divy up the loot.


I'm not sure if this was in jest or not, but letting players cajole and threaten each other to try and get a bigger portion of the loot sounds super fun. You probably need some way to limit the amount of time spent on it (bring it down to a single bid/card flip/dice roll) but it might add a cool layer to the experience.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
msg tools
Thanks for all of the ideas, given me a lot to work with!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Vallerand
Canada
St-Basile-Le-Grand
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait, how big a deal is loot sharing supposed to be in the game? If it's just getting currency to spend on upgrades for the actual real game, don't focus on it too much, and make it simple, and based on what you want the players to do. Want to incentivise players sticking together? Give all characters in the room full XP/treasure. Want to incentivise damage dealing? Give characters 1XP per damage they deal. Do you want players to stick to a tank/DPS/healer set-up? Give tanks XP per hits they took, healers XP per HP they healed, and DPSs XP for damage they caused.

If you want loot distribution to be the core of your game, you probably need a special, cool mechanism. Ideas:

Mammut, as stated earlier, is a very mechanicised loot distribution game.
Cash n' Guns is a very social loot distribution game.
Animals on Board, although that would be quite unthematic
Piece o' Cake, or other I-Split-You-Choose games
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tiarnan Murphy
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

To see an arful implementation of this method, see the game Mammut. It's basically exactly as Walt described, except when you do the first split, you take the share you want. Then the next person can either take part of the pot that's left OR they can take the share from you but they have to put one piece back. This keeps going until everyone has a share in front of them.


This is also how Thief's Market divides loot.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Breckenridge
United States
Richmond
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The easy option is that everyone in the room draws a loot card, or takes a loot token, or whatever your mechanism - maybe tougher challenges let them take two or more. Then allow players to trade among themselves if they want to.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.