Subject: Family Loves Dungeon! What's next? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Bonastia
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My family and I play Dungeon and I would like some suggestions on what would be the next game to play. I was thinking Talisman but I have never played it. Would that be too big of a jump in complexity? Any suggestions?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Under the paving stones, the beach
United Kingdom
Huddersfield
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman (Revised 4th Edition) isn't that big a leap in complexity, at least not if you've been playing Dungeon! using the advanced rules. The main things to be aware of are that a) it can have a very long playtime and b) FFG no longer have the license so I'm not sure how long the expansions will be available. It divides people on here, but I enjoy it and think it would suit your family.

DungeonQuest Revised Edition is another option. It's absoutely deadly, the fun comes from seeing your heroes die a multitude of times before finally managing to scrape a win.

Tales of the Arabian Nights might work, if you consider it age appropriate. (It's not heavily sexualised or anything, but much like the source material there are slaves, marriages etc.)

If you're interested in a coop game, you could do a lot worse than Castle Panic. Work together to defend your castle from maurauding monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ausemus
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Talisman is a very good game. There is another version of Talisman called Relic. My family likes both. Here are some family weight games that my family really enjoys.
1. Black fleet, excellent family game, has pirates
2. Jamaica, pirate ship racing
3. King of Tokyo, dice chucking monsters
4. The wrath of ashardalon, great dungeon crawl
5. Mice and mystics, adventure game take it together
6. Elder sign, dice chucking co-op game
7. Zombies!!!, Dice chucking killing Zombies
8. Indigo, good family game very beautiful game
9. Blocus, great abstract game
10. New York 1901, city building game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Castle Ravenloft is a D&D co-op. Lots of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad McCoy
United States
Vilonia
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DungeonQuest and The Warlock of Firetop Mountain are similar, and you might also try Key to the Kingdom, Treasures & Traps, and Dungeon Raiders.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
Castle Ravenloft is a D&D co-op. Lots of fun.
+1.
I'd recommend any of the D&D Adventure System board games over Talisman (or Relic).

Castle Ravenloft is my personal favorite, but it's also the hardest.
Wrath of Ashardalon is a bit easier but offers less variety.
Legend of Driz'zt is the easiest, but may be the best as an intro, especially if you know the Driz'zt novels.
Temple of Elemental Evil is the only one offering actual campaign play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Hellertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Mice and Mystics is a good step towards more sophisticated games.

Also, on theme alone, since you like dungeon! you might want to take a look at things like Welcome to the dungeon

I'm not sure how old your kids are, but if they're a little older and good at reading comprehension then munchkin can also be a ton of fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.