Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
2 questions came up today about firing through wall squares:
1. Is the cover factor cumulative per square you go through? Ie going through 2 squares of wall gives +2 CF?
2. Does the wall cover the entire square in seeing if this provides cover or do you look at the artwork and only count this as crossing the wall if it actually crosses the wall art (assume not).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions, I'm curious to hear an official answer. This is how I would have played it if it came up:

1. I'd accumulate bonuses, since it says in the chart +1, Id give +1 for each wall section between firerer and target.

2. This is a bit tougher, but I,d go with LoS here. Since the wall is not always pulled all the way to the corner I think Mark had a thought with this when he designed it.
So:
If I fire through a square side with a wall but not through the wall - no cover. Unless target is actually in the square, then I might reconsider.
Tough one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Evil_X wrote:
Great questions, I'm curious to hear an official answer. This is how I would have played it if it came up:

1. I'd accumulate bonuses, since it says in the chart +1, Id give +1 for each wall section between firerer and target.

2. This is a bit tougher, but I,d go with LoS here. Since the wall is not always pulled all the way to the corner I think Mark had a thought with this when he designed it.
So:
If I fire through a square side with a wall but not through the wall - no cover. Unless target is actually in the square, then I might reconsider.
Tough one.

Thanks Max. The section on LOS doesn't describe much and I hope is rewritten to answer some of these sort of questions. One way to play this is that all terrain is considered to fill the whole square (this is how red lined terrain seems to be handled) the other idea is that you trace LOS according to how the terrain is drawn. It just doesn't seem to be described anywhere in the rules how to treat anything other than the red lined terrain. For the moment I will play as you suggested and wait for the rules rewrite or further clarification.

It may also be useful to check '65 as this is the next game in the system and may clarify some of these questions. I will check this out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
'65 rules can be downloaded from the website.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Walker
United States
Henry
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
'65 Squad Level Combat in Vietnam. On Kickstarter!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
1. Is the cover factor cumulative per square you go through? Ie going through 2 squares of wall gives +2 CF?
2. Does the wall cover the entire square in seeing if this provides cover or do you look at the artwork and only count this as crossing the wall if it actually crosses the wall art (assume not).

Hi Craig,

Bit confused. PAC isn't in front of me, but... you only get benefit for the wall if you are adjacent to it.

Yes, we will say the wall goes to the end of the square in 1E6.

Thanks for playing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I totally had this one wrong. I have been playing +1 CF if LoS at any point crosses the wall. Thanks for clarifying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
Mark Holt Walker wrote:
Quote:

Hi Craig,

Bit confused. PAC isn't in front of me, but... you only get benefit for the wall if you are adjacent to it.

Yes, we will say the wall goes to the end of the square in 1E6.

Thanks for playing

Thanks for clarifying Mark. What is PAC?

In terms of the adjacent rule - I can't find reference to this in the rules or charts. The rules seem to be silent on walls and LOS and the terrain effects chart says "CF only against non-arty crossing wall" - which doesnt mention being adjacent.

Love the system and I'm having a blast with it, but the rules are raising a few questions for me. It is good to see '65 looks a lot tighter in describing the systems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jansson
Sweden
Trollhättan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he meant the TEC Terrain Effects Chart.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Nicholls
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
It doesn't mention the adjacent rule on the terrain effects chart - in fact talks about crossing the wall which gives the impression we had that it was about crossing the wall without being adjacent.

I feel like I am being a bit pedantic in some ways but I like this game and want it to be clear for me and others.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.