5 Posts

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: A couple of questions about Escape from Dul Guldar? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Syrilian B
msg tools
mbmbmb

1)When setting up the "guards" for Dul Guldar, if one of the guards has doomed 1 and surge, do you apply those effects? If one of the guards is a treachery card that is the web that causes a hero to remain exhausted unless you pay 2 resources, can I put it on the "captured" hero?

2)Does playing a card that allows you to "put into play" an ally then put it back into your hand override the one ally rule? Or any other effect other than paying the resources to play it?

3)Are the "guards"(i.e. your own cards) discarded after being defeated in the 3rd stage?

4)How the heck do you beat this quest with just the core set? Holy hell it seems very much luck based(mostly joking since I realize this is the rule forum)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic B
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Yes, keywords like Doomed and Surge have to be applied even during setup.

No, if Caught in a Web is revealed as a guard during the setup you can not choose the captured hero for it, simply because there is no captured hero yet. The choosing of the captured hero happens after setup when you flip the quest card and reveal quest stage 1B. So you would choose any hero for Caught in a Web and it may turn out later that it is the same hero that you randomly determined as the prisoner later.

Besides that timing issue it seems that nothing forbids the prisoner to have attachments.

2) Yes, "put into play" is not the same as "play". See the FAQ:

Quote:
(1.16) The phrase “put into play”
If a card effect uses the phrase “put into play,” it means
that the card enters play through a card effect instead
of through the normal process of paying resources and
playing the card from hand. “Put into play” effects
are not considered to be playing the card, and will not
trigger any effects that refer to a card being played.
“Put into play” will, however, trigger any effects that
occur when a card “enters play”.

Example: The quest Through the Caverns (CORE 124)
has the text, “The players, as a group, cannot play
more than one ally card each round.” While this quest
is active, a player can put an ally into play with Stand
and Fight (CORE 51), even if an ally has already been
played this round.

3) Yes, they are discarded and the cards are placed in the corresponding player's discard pile.

4) You don't sauron
Unfortunately this quest is and counts as being almost unbeatable with just one core set. I'd say almost because it might be possible with the right deck and a lot of luck but it will be more than a bumpy and frustrating ride with countless defeats.

I wish you lots of fun playing! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale Stephenson
United States
Buford
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
syrilian wrote:
4)How the heck do you beat this quest with just the core set? Holy hell it seems very much luck based(mostly joking since I realize this is the rule forum)

Two-handed. This quest is much, much, much easier with two decks instead of one. It'll still be tough with just the core set, but it won't be nearly impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Syrilian B
msg tools
mbmbmb
I have been playing with two decks. I have managed to beat it once, kinda sorta, but other than that one, kinda sorta, time no luck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robin Moss
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Don't be afraid to try Easy Mode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.