Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Waltisberg
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
Hi,
in our game last weekend, there was the following situation:
The British invaded Norway (Trondheim) in 1942. Since we were almost out of yellow blocks for the Axis Minor Powers, we chose one yellow block for Trondheim, and one German block for Oslo. Should we have taken a brown block instead? Or was it okay to use a German unit?
After the successful landing and the destruction of the Norwegian unit in Trondheim, the Germans reinforced with one ground unit, i.e. two Axis blocks were in Oslo, one Norwegian, one German (but both German blocks). The British subsequently attacked Oslo after the arrival of reinforcements.
Do the rules allow all of this? We were not quite sure.
Thanks and greetings,
Tudeh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pierce
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As the Yellow blocks are specific to countries (Hun, Bul, Rum, Finn), I would have used two brown blocks. Remember too that the Norwegians are now entitled to a free step every production turn. So that the destroyed block would have been placed in Oslo at Cadre level. Enjoy the game.
Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The brown blocks are useable by both sides, and should be used when a neutral Minor Power is brought into the war by either player.

The yellow blocks are for the indicated Axis Minor Powers only (Bulgaria, Rumania, Hungary, and Finland).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waltisberg
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
Thanks for clarifying the use of the brown blocks!
But the rest of my post was alright, I suppose?
Thanks and greetings,
Tudeh
P.S. Before I forget: Great game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the Germans reinforced with one ground unit, i.e. two Axis blocks were in Oslo, one Norwegian, one German (but both German blocks). The British subsequently attacked Oslo after the arrival of reinforcements.
Do the rules allow all of this? We were not quite sure.

So in the German Player turn, they shipped a block to Oslo, and then in the following Allied player-turn, the Allies attacked both Axis blocks in Oslo?

Yes, that is perfectly allowable. The only thing you missed is that the Norwegians should have gotten a step of replacements during the German Production Phase for free. Meaning there should have been three blocks defending Oslo, the German block and 3 steps of Norwegians spread between two brown blocks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marshall Neal
United States
Bakersfield
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Where does it note the Norwegians get a free step of infantry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
9.62 An unconquered Minor Power receives one step of replacements
per turn, but may not exceed its original force pool. This replacement is
free to the controlling player, and this is the only replacement allowed
for that Minor Power. The replacement step may be taken in any friendly
controlled Home area, even if contested, and may also be used to bring
back an eliminated unit at the cadre strength level, if desired.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Waltisberg
Germany
Marburg
flag msg tools
Thanks for all the answers. I found the rule about the use of brown blocks for neutral Minor Powers (in the Glossary).
We totally forgot the free step for the Norwegians, but this was not our only mistake in the game (our third), we also forgot the rule about the hit bonus against mixed Axis Minor Powers. It's hard to remember all the small rules in the beginning, but as I said: Great game.
Tudeh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad that you are enjoying it.

Keep playing, it gets better with age

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pierce
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Rick, cause I'm too lazy to look it up, do Vichy French forces get a step if not destroyed?
Thanks,
Stuart

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Young
United States
Durham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No they don't Stuart.

Is Bill going to try to play the gambit-man?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Pierce
United States
Leesburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yet another anti-axis rule, how can the good guys ever win?

Bill vs. Gambit man is a yes, if we can figure out the logistics. Bill really prefers the FTF planning, any idea where this guy is? But it's probably a wargameroom face off. I'll talk to him tonight, as we finish '42 and move into '43. One last shot at knocking off the Russians, and then it's time to dig in...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.