Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is Sneak Attack considered an "attack" for the purposes of Lita's +1 to damage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mplain
Russia
flag msg tools
mbmb
No. Lita's bonus damage only applies to Fight actions.

Fight Action
- To fight an enemy at his or her location, an investigator resolves an attack against that enemy by making a combat test against the enemy's fight value (see "Skill Tests" on page 18).
- If the test is successful, the attack succeeds and damage is dealt to the attacked enemy. The default damage dealt by an attack is 1. Some weapons, spells, or other special attacks may modify this damage.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Bender
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit: No. I was quoting Backstab not Sneak Attack below, which came up in our game last night. Backstab does not get the +1 damage.

Yes.

Sneak Attack Reads: (edit: this is the text for Backstab not Sneak Attack)
Fight. This attack uses [Agility] instead of [Combat]. This attack deals +2 damage.

Lita's Reaction:
[Reaction] When an investigator in your location successfully attacks a Monster enemy: That investigator deals +1 damage

So the attack is a Fight action.

Lita's +1 to the character's Combat skill does not apply, of course, since the Fight action is using Agility instead of Fight. But her +1 Damage effect does apply.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Kløve
Denmark
Hillerød
flag msg tools
badge
The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed
mbmbmbmbmb
futurescaper wrote:
Yes.

Sneak Attack Reads:
Fight. This attack uses [Agility] instead of [Combat]. This attack deals +2 damage.

Lita's Reaction:
[Reaction] When an investigator in your location successfully attacks a Monster enemy: That investigator deals +1 damage

So the attack is a Fight action.

Lita's +1 to the character's Combat skill does not apply, of course, since the Fight action is using Agility instead of Fight. But her +1 Damage effect does apply.

You are thinking of Backstab, which works as you described. Sneak Attack deals 2 damage to an exhausted enemy, which is not a fight action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Chambers
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mplain wrote:
<snip>
Fight Action
- To fight an enemy at his or her location, an investigator resolves an attack against <snip>

Yeah, I read that too. My problem with it is that it makes an "attack" sound like something separate from "fight" that could apply elsewhere as well. In other words, nothing in that rule denies "attacking" an enemy in the absence of a Fight Action. For instance, if it said something like "the only way to attack an enemy is with the Fight Action", then it would be clear that Sneak Attack is not an "attack". But it doesn't. It just says that when you take a Fight Action, you resolve an attack. That doesn't mean you can't resolve attacks by other means as well.

I looked around the Rules Reference, but couldn't find a definition for what an "attack" is and is not, nor could I find anything that made "attack" the exclusive domain of a Fight Action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chamr wrote:
mplain wrote:
<snip>
Fight Action
- To fight an enemy at his or her location, an investigator resolves an attack against <snip>

Yeah, I read that too. My problem with it is that it makes an "attack" sound like something separate from "fight" that could apply elsewhere as well. In other words, nothing in that rule denies "attacking" an enemy in the absence of a Fight Action. For instance, if it said something like "the only way to attack an enemy is with the Fight Action", then it would be clear that Sneak Attack is not an "attack". But it doesn't. It just says that when you take a Fight Action, you resolve an attack. That doesn't mean you can't resolve attacks by other means as well.

I looked around the Rules Reference, but couldn't find a definition for what an "attack" is and is not, nor could I find anything that made "attack" the exclusive domain of a Fight Action.

It could apply elsewhere, and if any other card or rule says "resolve an attack" and also "this is not a Fight Action", it would become relevant. For now, the only way to resolve an Attack is with a Fight Action, and there is nothing about Sneak Attack to suggest that it is an attack (the name, of course, is flavour text with no impact on the rules).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.