Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I have five people who want to play. Would it break the game in any way if I play with 4 people for a few quests, then switch have one player switch out (Say at level 3), and have a new player switch in with a level 1 character for a few quests.

Would we be able to do this with no real problems (other than missing bits of the story, etc), since we can always scale the quests depending on team level at the time. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T Sua
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wickershamb wrote:
I have five people who want to play. Would it break the game in any way if I play with 4 people for a few quests, then switch have one player switch out (Say at level 3), and have a new player switch in with a level 1 character for a few quests.

Would we be able to do this with no real problems (other than missing bits of the story, etc), since we can always scale the quests depending on team level at the time. Thoughts?

It would be perfectly fine to do that, that's how Isaac designed the game to be played. Once you start playing even with the same 4 players all the time you will be leveling up at different times. If you retire a character and start a new one the rest of the party might be level 5 and you will be starting over at 1 or whatever your current town level is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Wickersham
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
I was guessing it might have issues with items and the Party Achievements Notepad or whatever. I'd basically have a party of 5, with the 4th being switched every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your party can change between missions, and items shouldn't be a problem so long as as each player is using a different character. Since there are six starting characters that shouldn't be a problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Laurin
Australia
Perth
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wickershamb wrote:
I was guessing it might have issues with items and the Party Achievements Notepad or whatever. I'd basically have a party of 5, with the 4th being switched every game.

I was actually wondering about this with items.

As I understand it, there's a limited number of each of the items. Say all of the copies of the minor stamina potion are in use by my main gaming group, and I separately play with my wife... should there be any minor stamina potions available for sale in the city, or does my wife miss out because my gaming group already has them all?

I guess if I let her have an "extra" potion then I've created a problem for myself if my wife ever came to a gaming night and we played Gloomhaven... but the logic of the universe has already folded in on itself by that point so drawing up a fill-in card is probably the least weird thing that happened that day surprise

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael R

Heidelberg
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rulebook, page 43 wrote:
Within any one party, the number of items available for purchase is limited by how many copies of the item’s card there are. No character may own duplicates of the same item. If a different party plays the game with different characters, items possessed by unused characters are considered to be in the city’s available supply and can be purchased. Players should always keep track of what items they own on their character sheets in case the cards get moved around by other groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.