Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Miser wild flare rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
qq1x
Hungary
flag msg tools
Hello everyone,
I would like to ask your opinion about the Miser's wild flare.

Can you use the Miser wild flare before you draw new 8 cards or someone takes compensation from you, if you have only one card in your hand or you don’t have any?

So, is it optional to take two cards in front of you or could you choose one or even zero?

(Card text: When you draw a new hand or another player takes compensation from you, you may place this card and two others facedown in front of you until afterwards. If compensation is being taken from you, the facedown cards may not be taken. If drawing a new hand, you receive a full hand in addition to the facedown cards)

Thank you again for your help! goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Homer Simpson
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the answer is yes. My interpretation of the card text is "up to two cards"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have to say that technically, as written, you have to protect exactly two other cards. However, I wouldn't claim that was the design intent; it could have been just sloppy writing. So as a practical matter I wouldn't actually dispute Homer's interpretation. However, I will offer a consideration.

Assuming an "up to" does mean that Wild Miser would be highly compensation-proof and hand-refresh-proof, and thus unlikely to leave the hand of whoever first draws it. In general, letting somebody keep a flare forever is not exactly an advisable game design principle, so it's possible that the designer may have intentionally built in a kind of "expiration date": eventually you will likely have to draw a new hand (or face compensation) and not have enough cards to be able to keep your Wild Miser. Or it's possible the designer wanted you to be able to keep the flare (and up to your two other best cards) for potentially the rest of the game. Sometimes it's hard to guess the intent because there's a lot of ambiguous writing in this game.

Of course a Card Zap could kill it, and something that takes cards in a non-compensation context could grab it (Trader, Angler, Pickpocket, etc.), if such a thing is in the game. And, if the player has already used another flare and the Freewheeling variant is not in play, then he wouldn't be able to play Wild Miser and could lose it. (I would try hard not to make that mistake, but trying is not always succeeding.)

All that being said, neither interpretation is game-breaking. You could talk with your group and decide whether you generally think it's cool or cheesy that a player will often be able to keep the flare for the rest of the game, and then rule accordingly.

My gut tells me I probably wouldn't have designed the card to last that long, so I think I would tend to use the literal interpretation. But either way could be "more fun" than the other, depending upon your group's play style.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mil Myman
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
If I had designed that card effect, I probably would have made it so that a player taking compensation is still entitles to the appropriate number of cards, so once he's taken cards from your hand, if you still owe him more cards, then he can take from the set-aside ones.

Thus, if the player has six cards in his hand (Attack 40, Cosmic Zap, Attack 12, Attack 06, Negotiate, and Miser Flare), and owes four cards in compensation, he plays Wild Miser, setting it, the 40 and the CZ aside. The other player takes the 12, the 6, and the N, but is still owed one card, which he then draws randomly from the three set aside.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.