8 Posts

Star Wars: Imperial Assault» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Do you ever use Traps as the Empire? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tomer Mlynarsky
Israel
flag msg tools
By Traps, I mean the Influence cards that are one time use and then discarded or shuffled back into the deck.

Do you actually use them in regular missions? Or do you just load them all up to the final mission?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next Total Solar Eclipse holiday in 2024 in USA? See you there!
mbmbmbmbmb
I use agenda cards when they help me in a mission which I have a chance to win.

I also have a house rule to allow only 4 agenda cards in play at the same time.

But the more I play, I also use the agenda cards more and more to make missions varied and replayable (and thematic) rather than to win at all costs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one campaign I played as Imperial, I used them when the opportunity arose and shuffled them back into the deck. When my son plays Imperial, he saves them all for the final mission.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Steski
United States
Olympia
WA
flag msg tools
Thou art I... Thou hast acquired a new vow.
badge
With the birth of the BOARD GAMES Persona, you have obtained the winds of blessing that shall lead to freedom and new power.
mbmbmbmbmb
I tend to prefer the cards that are usable once per mission, but I use the one shots now and again. I don't intentionally save them all for the last mission, but I try to hang on to them until I'm sure that they'll actually have a significant impact.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rico P
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those 1-shot "keep secret" agenda cards? Yeah

I use them as I see fit during normal play, and I don't keep them all for the finale: it's unfair for the Rebels since they'll be overwhelmed by those nasty surprises + there's really nothing they can do to prepare for/counter it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played imperial but in our campaign it was rarely used. If I was the imperial, I would hate to hoard them all for the last mission even if it seems like the strongest play to win. I'd try to win each mission and use them appropriately. Some of the "traps" are more useful than others.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I generally plop them down when I think the Rebels are either doing to well in a mission or are in danger of winning two in a row.

I try to keep things as even as possible, I want the final score to be as close to 5-5 as we can get it heading into the finale.

I generally save one card for the finale but that is it, I don't intend to win the final mission but make it extremely challenging. After months and months of time invested I don't want my Rebels to lose and then not want to play again
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean L
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
GreenLantern2814 wrote:
I generally plop them down when I think the Rebels are either doing to well in a mission or are in danger of winning two in a row.

I try to keep things as even as possible, I want the final score to be as close to 5-5 as we can get it heading into the finale.

I generally save one card for the finale but that is it, I don't intend to win the final mission but make it extremely challenging. After months and months of time invested I don't want my Rebels to lose and then not want to play again

They're probably thinking the same and have been taking it easy on you all campaign!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.