Marvel Dice Masters: Avengers vs. X-Men» Forums » General

Subject: YG and DnD starters rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Casual player here, already have all the other comicbook starters and a good number of boosters.

Is it worth it to get these two starters?

I am not a competitionist or a tournament player. ... but in don't want to miss out on worthwhile options (such as fun action cards, fun abilities, fun etc.)

+ I kept on hearing about a 'blue eyes' (YG?) in a podcast I recently tried.

Also, what is PSG? Not sure I heard correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig H
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Blue Eyes White Dragon - I think it's the Rare that is popular as it allows you to KO your own character to reduce the cost of a new purchase.

PxG - Professor X Global - the global on the Prof X card that allows you to pay a mask to move two sidekick dice from Used to Prep.

As far as buying the sets... Myself, I'm thinking I may buy some of the individual dice / cards from re-sellers just to try them out. There are some interesting combinations you hear about when listening to podcasts or reading comments. However, I really don't want full sets of D&D / YGO just for aesthetic reasons. I have no issue mixing Marvel and DC but tossing in YGO and D&D characters doesn't appeal to me. Yet, as I said, there are some interesting combinations so picking up a few specific dice might be an idea.

You might want to get BFF for the Polymorph basic action card as it is quite useful. However, if you have an inkjet printer, well, who am I to judge...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Redd
United States
Bremerton
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely get the D&D Battle for Faerun starter. If has THE BEST, most used and abused Basic Actions in the game - Polymorph, Resurrection, and Magic Missile. The other stuff is fairly fun, too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Both the D&D Starters are absolutely solid in terms of Basic Actions, and have a good selection of characters as well (currently the most broken/abused/powerful card in the game is in the FUS Starter).

The YGO Starter you can easily skip - for starters, you only get 8 characters with 1 version each (instead of the usual 3), none of them are that great, and the best Basic Action Cards are also found in other sets.

For individual cards, there are definitely several good ones in YGO, that aren't found in the comic sets. Many of them are Rare cards - Blue-Eyes White Dragon: Monstrous Dragon has one of the best Global Abilities in the game (as mentioned above): Pay BOLT and KO one of your characters to reduce the cost of the next die you buy by 2. For starters, being able to KO one of your characters (and trigger any "when KO'd" effects) on command is very powerful, and it also puts one of your dice into Prep (to roll more next turn), potentially recycling powerful "When fielded" effects, *AND* it reduces costs by 2. There is nothing else in the game that reduces all character costs by that much. The Rare Jinzo: Trap Destroyer is also powerful, making opponents pay 2 life to either use an Action Die or a Global Ability. This is different than damage and can't be reduced or mitigated, aside from a separate life gain effect.

D&D, as a (pair of) set(s), is actually very cohesive and provides a great play experience. Several mechanics only exist in this IP - Experience, Adventurers, Gear, Good/Evil/Neutral Alignments. There are also several individual cards that have a large impact on the overall meta (Red Dragon Global from BFF, Kobold Swarm from BFF, Prismatic Spray from BFF, Elf Thief from FUS, Dwarf Wizard from FUS)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Sten
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Thanks, going to go out and buy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.