BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Medium weight Star Trek game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi

Wonder if anyone could recommend a Star Trek themed game (faithful to the theme, too!) that works really well for 1 player but can be played by up to 3 with around a 3-3.5 weight. Ideally with quality pieces, it's intended for an older lady who doesn't play a lot of games but LOVES Star Trek.

We've looked at Star Trek Frontiers but that one does look a bit heavy.

Thank you!

D

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Expeditions

- It's a multiplayer cooperative game, so it can be played solitaire.

- Has clix miniatures of the Enterpise, a Klingon warship, and the current Star Trek bridge crew (i.e., Kirk, Spock, Uhura, McCoy; the expansion adds Scott, Chekov, and Sulu)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
You practically decribed Star Trek: Expeditions.

EDIT: ninjaed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Go
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
If you're having hull problems I feel bad for you son, I've got 99 problems but a breach ain't one.
badge
TauLeaderGames.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek: Five-Year Mission is on the lighter side, but it is an excellent cooperative game that can play solo.

Star Trek Panic is also great but the co-operative aspect can feel a little forced. The theme is much stronger than Five Year Mission though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many Star Trek games are combat-oriented. You might look at Star Trek: Five-Year Mission or Star Trek: Expeditions which are cooperative games about solving traditional Star Trek problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael F
United States
Albany
OR
flag msg tools
My job is not the day shift or the night shift, it's the always shift!
badge
I will chop your head off!
mbmbmbmbmb
I wasn't a fan of Star Trek: Expeditions. Too much math without much payoff. I think Star Trek: Panic is what you want. It's actually all about TOS, which I'm guessing is what she probably enjoys most. Expeditions covers the JJ Abrams movies, albeit with a TOS-like mission.

Five-Year Mission is good, but doesn't really have the components that Panic does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Trek Deck Building Game: The Original Series and it's siblings from NG are great games and are in the mid-weight you're looking for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gláucio Reis
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Expeditions covers the JJ Abrams movies, albeit with a TOS-like mission.

It really should be emphasized that Expeditions, despite being linked to Jar Jar Abrams' reboot, has nothing to do with it and feels a lot like an episode of the original series. Another concern might be the annoying "Clix" dials, awfully hard to read for those of us with tired eyes. However, a simple solution to both problems is to print one of the available fan-made sets of character cards (and add some paper clips to track values). Mine is here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GSReis wrote:
newkillerstar27 wrote:
Expeditions covers the JJ Abrams movies, albeit with a TOS-like mission.

It really should be emphasized that Expeditions, despite being linked to Jar Jar Abrams' reboot, has nothing to do with it and feels a lot like an episode of the original series. . . .

I agree with Glaucio. I'm not a fan of the rebooted film series, but I do like this game because it's multiple-mission solving in the tradition of some of the episodes in the original series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Walsh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent, thank you all, I'll check these out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.