Subject: smallworld classic and smallworld underground rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
Hi guys, muy first post here

Thing is, I have a smallworld basegame copy + expansions' but i do mot own the Underground version. I was up to buy it more than once, but right now I prefer to spend my savings in games that will bring a whole a different experience than buying the 1.5 version of smallworld.

Few days ago, a friend of a friend of a friend (a person just knew), told me that he had the SWU, and he wanted to trade it in exchange fr the classic.

I have played it once, but i am not sure yet. Should i change my classic for the underground? Should i keep the original one? Should i wait and buy both?i just want some advice from those who master both versions .

Thanks in advanced!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Martin
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
1 Million Shogoths Killed and Counting.
mbmbmbmbmb
The big thing is the expansions work best with the base game.

Personally I would keep the base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Snow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We tried out Small World for the first time recently (2-player) and didn't really like it. We then immediately took a risk and bought Small World Underground because I liked the races more, and we had tons of fun.

Since you already have some expansions, I wouldn't trade the stand-alone versions. It requires some extra work/fiddling to get some of the expansion races to work well in SWU since they weren't made specifically to integrate with the special features of that map. The main thing is you'd be losing a ton of really awesome powers that are fantastic in every game and map. I would buy SWU as a race/powers expansion with alternate maps. Of the 15 new races in SWU, 9 integrate without problems in the regular SW map, and 4 require you to be aware of terrain translation rules. The new river mechanic is cool, (although you could just buy Small World: River World is you like rivers...), and I like the extra things going on in the SWU map in general, so I'd say it's worth playing on with other races. If you have Realms/Tunnels, you can even smash the two maps together for more variety.

Unless Small World is one of your favorite and most-played games, I would weight the "need" to get SWU as an expansion with the rest of the available expansions to your game collection. It's fun, but not necessary.

Edit: mobile phone silliness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
petrolito petrolito
Spain
Alaska
flag msg tools
Thanks for your answers, you people have helped me to make a decission.

I am keeping the base game and leaving Underworld for the future. Right now I have been saving for "Stone Age", light/medium euros work much better in my group than heavy ones.

Anyw6, I had not heard of "riverworld" but it looks great. Have you ever played it? Is worth it to pay the 22€ price it cost? It looks like it shares some common points with Underworld because of the rivers and the ports.

Ps. I hate mobile writting in this web too
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raven Snow
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, I haven't played it. I only happened to see it recently on BGG. I thought it looked cool for people who didn't already have rivers with SWU, but I don't know how fun it actually is to play on.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.