6 Posts

Betrayal at House on the Hill: Widow's Walk» Forums » General

Subject: How much rp is in the game? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
I just got the base game a short while ago and already love it, so I was looking at getting the expansion as well, since it isn't that pricey.

But I just saw a preview of the game on Youtube where it is mentioned that there is an item that
Spoiler (click to reveal)
requires you to make chainsaw noises

Now, I might be in the minority here, but I really am not a fan of stuff like that, so I was wondering if it is common in the game or if it is unique to that item?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's not role-play, that's party game silliness.

I've only played the game twice with the expansion and I haven't run across one. I'd ignore those rules if I did, though. It won't break the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Persson
Denmark
flag msg tools
I think me calling it rp, was more due to not knowing how to describe it

But that is good to know. Anyone else know if my fears can be put to rest?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that's the only thing of that sort in the game, although certain haunts (there are 100 of them including the expansion) have special events that may, in part, have a couple things like that.

I think you'll be fine.

Although, I'll add that this game on its own, isn't that great. It has the potential to be great, but it comes down to how much you and your friends are willing to put into the game. If you play it to win, you might be bored. If you play it for fun and are willing to get into the atmosphere, have some spooky background music, etc, it's a lot better.

I really like it, but I find my dry, irritable group of friends tend to ruin it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
I heartily agree with Paul - the game and fun with it is what you make of it. Played it last Friday and came across that said item. And came across a second one and both pay homage to
Spoiler (click to reveal)
a certain horror movie series starring Bruce Cambell

The Haunt we played was from the expansion and took elements of another boardgame and flipped them on the head. While at first the traitor was disapointed he didn't get any monster to play around with, we had fun with the whole schlocky theme and we actually started some (in)appropriate roleplaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Lee
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
esqulax wrote:
I think me calling it rp, was more due to not knowing how to describe it

But that is good to know. Anyone else know if my fears can be put to rest?

You can rest easy. I just introduced this game to my wife who isn't that into board games and she really enjoyed it. She actually got the chainsaw and thought it was hysterical.
It can have as much or as little role play as you'd like it to have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.