Popular Tags: [View All]
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I like chocolate ice cream and give it a 9.

She hates chocolate ice cream and gives it a 1.

Does it say more about us or the ice cream?

Just saying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you reviewing the reviews or critiquing the reviewers? Or do you just have "issues" with ice cream? whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Goldberg
United States
Bonnots Mill
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Boy the way Glenn Miller played // Songs that made the Hit Parade // Guys like us we had it made // Those were the days.
mbmbmbmbmb
Albatross!

(I have no idea why I posted that)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
martimer wrote:
Are you reviewing the reviews or critiquing the reviewers? Or do you just have "issues" with ice cream? :whistle:

Neither. I spent most of my life in the food business and have been exposed to reviews for a long time. If the same food is tasted by two different people and both have different opinions, it can't be the food, but the reviewers taste in foods.

Same should apply to movies and any products that remain constant. Just an observation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, are you saying that if I like chocolate ice cream, I'll like this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
martimer wrote:
Are you reviewing the reviews or critiquing the reviewers? Or do you just have "issues" with ice cream? whistle

Neither. I spent most of my life in the food business and have been exposed to reviews for a long time. If the same food is tasted by two different people and both have different opinions, it can't be the food, but the reviewers taste in foods.

Same should apply to movies and any products that remain constant. Just an observation.
And that is a large part of why the BGG ratings system is such a statistically questionable medium for judging a game. The rest of it has to do with how the results are seeded and then parts of it are ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Schaller
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Someone (or a bot) has been rating a bunch of games 1 lately. Don't know if this is the same guy, but anyone rating a game 1 without detailed commentary as to why can be safely ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brett Schaller wrote:
Someone (or a bot) has been rating a bunch of games 1 lately. Don't know if this is the same guy, but anyone rating a game 1 without detailed commentary as to why can be safely ignored.
Except that that is not accounted for in the actual rating. Reading the comments is very much a part of the process of accurately learning the popularity of a game. Playing it is the other (just as time consuming) method.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duncan Idaho
United States
NYC
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Except that that is not accounted for in the actual rating.

I don't think you can definitively say that, since BGG doesn't talk about how it calculates the averages. It's entirely possible that 1s and 10s with comments are factored in differently than silent 1s and 10s.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I know:

Quote:
What is the Difference Between BGG Rating and User Rating?

If you look at a list of games within BGG you may see a BGG Rating number between 1 and 10. If you then click on that game and go to the game's main page you will see a User Rating and an Average Rating. Most of the time, the BGG Rating number will be different from the User and Average Ratings. Why is this?
The User Rating of a game is the Average Rating rounded down to 1 decimal point. The Average Rating for a game is the average of all ratings from registered BGG users that the game has received, calculated by adding up all individual ratings and dividing by the number of ratings.
The BGG Rating is based on the Average Rating, but the number is altered. BoardGameGeek's ranking charts are ordered using the BGG Rating. To prevent games with relatively few votes climbing to the top of the BGG Ranks, artificial "dummy" votes are added to the User Ratings. These votes are currently thought to be 100 votes equal to the mid range of the voting scale: 5.5, but the actual algorithm is kept secret to avoid manipulation. The effect of adding these dummy votes is to pull BGG Ratings toward the mid range. Games with a large number of votes see their BGG Rating alter very little from their Average Rating, but games with relatively few user ratings will see their BGG Rating move considerably toward 5.5. This is known as "Bayesian averaging" and a quick search of both BGG and/or the Web will reveal much discussion on the topic.
In effect, usually the games with many votes will Rank higher than those games with the same Average Rating but fewer votes.
I do not know if comments are accounted for. Nothing is stated about comments, just ratings.

I know I enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Teixeira
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Matt Boehland wrote:
So, are you saying that if I like chocolate ice cream, I'll like this game?

Nope, I'm saying if you like chocolate ice cream you could like at least a third of Neapolitan.

Unless you're an albatross. In which case I could only speculate.

Life's too short to worry and I try not to overthink things.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bubba P
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:
I like chocolate ice cream and give it a 9.

She hates chocolate ice cream and gives it a 1.

Does it say more about us or the ice cream?

Just saying.

That's true. But, if out of a thousand reviews 999 rate it a 9 and one person rates it a 1, that is much more likely to mean something to me, personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Brady
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
az_sunsets73 wrote:

Unless you're an albatross. In which case I could only speculate.

Laden or unladen?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.