Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Everett Hammacher
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In a prior post it was stated that when Soldiers are in a location where hostiles outside that location may not fire at them (such as Hedgerows), hostiles targeting those soldiers will move toward said Soldiers.

Does the same statement hold true for Soldiers in a location covered by Smoke?

Is this handled the same way in Modern WF?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David in Sydney (now in Coffs)
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everett wrote:
In a prior post it was stated that when Soldiers are in a location where hostiles outside that location may not fire at them (such as Hedgerows), hostiles targeting those soldiers will move toward said Soldiers.

Does the same statement hold true for Soldiers in a location covered by Smoke?

Is this handled the same way in Modern WF?

A very good question - the card wording for Smoke Grenades is the same.

W-171 Smoke Grenade RP2 - Equipment
Expend 1 Smoke Grenade:
During the next Hostile
Turn, Soldiers in your
Location cannot be
targeted by Hostile cards
not in your Location.

Note the word "targeted".

For WF WWII:

Key words:
Targeted - When a Hostile draws a Hostile Targeting
counter, that Soldier is the Hostile’s Targeted Soldier.

Rules Page 24:
ASSIGNING HOSTILES
When you draw a Hostile card, draw a Hostile
Targeting counter from the cup to see which
Soldier the Hostile will be Attacking. The Hostiles
on that card will target that Soldier each Turn until the Hostile card (or the Soldier) is Killed.
If the Soldier being targeted by the Hostile card moves out of
the Hostile’s Range, the Hostile card will not Attack until it is
back in Range.

Rules Page 32:
HOSTILES ATTACK
Resolve Attacks for all Hostile cards that are in Range of
their targeted Soldiers.

Rules Page 33:
HOSTILES CLOSE RANGE
If a Hostile card has 1 or more Suppress counters, it cannot
Move.
All Hostile cards that are out of Range move one Location
card closer to their targeted Soldier. If a Hostile card is in
Range of its target, the Hostile card does not move.

Noting:

W-47 Hedge Row - Location Action Card
Attacks from
outside this
Location cannot
target this
Location.

more later...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An easy way to play it - is that smoke just stops Hostiles not in the Location from attacking Soldiers in that location.

I'd go further - I'd remove the targeting counters of any Soldier in the smoke location for Hostiles out side of that location and re-draw targeting counters ignoring any result of soldiers in that smoke location.
In effect - the non local Hostiles lose sight/knowledge of those soldiers and go after other soldiers.

This is different to hedge rows where they just cannot attack the soldiers (effectively) and if not in range will move closer to the targeted soldier.
Eg a Flanethrower team will move into the hedge riws to flame their targeted soldier.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Coffs Harbour
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Who else sees lots of opportunity to mess with the Hostiles plans? whistle

The next location/objective is too strongly defended - your assault soldiers pop smoke and all of the Hostiles redraw targeting counters for Private Fodder who you had left in the mission location to provide covering fire etc. (the etc in this case means a Hostile counter attack coming his way while the rest of the section is hiding in the smoke - to either ambush the Hostiles or to bypass them to get to the objective! devil )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Everett Hammacher
United States
Harrisburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you - I did fail to note that both the Smoke card and the Hedgerows card use the term "target." The Smoke card says Soldiers can't be targeted in the Smoke location, but the Hedgerow card says attacks can't target the location. These two situations were similar in my mind, but I guess the slightly different wording calls for them to be treated differently.

As you are the oracle of things Warfighter , I'll play them as you suggest, absent any other word from DVG. And, yes, this makes Smoke a powerful tool for getting out of a hot spot (as long as the hostiles have someone else to target.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Webster
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Tech & BoardGaming Nerd
mbmbmbmbmb
davidinsydney2 wrote:
An easy way to play it - is that smoke just stops Hostiles not in the Location from attacking Soldiers in that location.

I'd go further - I'd remove the targeting counters of any Soldier in the smoke location for Hostiles out side of that location and re-draw targeting counters ignoring any result of soldiers in that smoke location.
In effect - the non local Hostiles lose sight/knowledge of those soldiers and go after other soldiers.

This is different to hedge rows where they just cannot attack the soldiers (effectively) and if not in range will move closer to the targeted soldier.
Eg a Flanethrower team will move into the hedge riws to flame their targeted soldier.

I agree. I find using smoke for defense is highly overrated in most wargames. It is more Hollywood than reality. I think it would be more realistic to simply add 2 to the cover value for all combat to/from that location for a turn (smoke has no allies).

Hand-held smoke canisters (excluding chemical grenades such as CS) are primarily used for signaling or location designation (LZ/DZ/extraction point/etc). They generally produce a vertical funnel of smoke rather than a ground-hugging cloud and they dissipate quickly. They are somewhat useful for cover and screening in a tightly-enclosed area (eg, an urban street) but not in general. Smoke pots (such as from tanks) are far more effective.

Artillery-based smoke is quite effective, but I can say from personal experience that moving into smoke is disorienting, the smoke gets into your eyes and nostrils, and it doesn't provide any feeling of concealment of cover. It is normally dropped in front of the friendly troops to provide screening for movement (advance or retreat). I can't imagine experienced soldiers moving into smoke without strong reason, knowing that it will quickly dissipate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.