Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IN WHICH...
...Trade Flourishes
...a crew needs courage
...force of arms are brought against the darkness
...and a perilous climb is attempted

Welcome back to another session report! This game went much better than the previous, thanks in large part to a suggestion that we have the player to the right of the active player read Captain's Booke entries (while the active player makes choices and collects rewards without having to fumble around with the Booke). Also, we played at my house, so I had the whole thing set up before anyone arrived, saving even more time at the table. We got done in 2.5 hours instead of around 3.5 for the previous game, and everyone had more fun.

As before, I won't be marking SPOILERS so be warned!

The game begins with the Pirate King once again demanding gold. This was no worry for Princess Dot, as the Province of Arrakis was holding a much larger stockpile of gold. She immediately hired Welman (The Renowned Builder) to upgrade the Saucy Mare (Enduring) and ordered her ships forth, spending most of the treasury.

The Restless Bones of a sunken ship rose from beneath the waves! Thankfully, the province of Leicester would take the brunt of their assault (as they returned home this turn to sell 4 goods and claim a milestone). Dot hired on Nick Fury (The Soldier's Patron) to raid the dock at Stygios to secure the Fearless upgrade for the SS Doyle.

At this point, Turbulent Waters threatened to make dangerous waters even deadlier. This did not stop the province of R'lyeh from recovering a Shroud of the Ancients from the Tomb on Satellite Island. We brought in Salvador (The Renowned Explorer) and sailed on to Bermuda to explore one of its easier sites. There, Salvador had his first taste of Spice. While enjoying its effects, he was approached by a man named Hardboot (The Grizzled Veteran), who agreed to sail with us.

Finally, the Seas were Smooth and we sailed back to Satellite, with Hardboot leading an expedition into the Tomb. While he made a valiant effort to go forward (recovering 15 gold from the site!), both Mouse (The Master Thief) and Salvador did not return.

As Whispers Began to circle among the advisors at home, Dot once more hired the CRIMSON BINOME (The Renowned Soldier) to lead a second foray into the Tomb, this time emerging with a map and an Ancient Tablet. The Tomb itself was now fully explored; we will need to find another in the future.

At this point, the Pirate King demanded a tribute of goods, but none of the provinces had any! Dot ordered her ships to sail as far into the ocean as they could reach, taking advantage of a current they discovered along the way, to explore for a new island - Lost Angles! Due to a curse on the Saucy Mare, her upgrade would be dismissed, leaving us 1 glory short of victory.

After the harvest and a brief winter, an open Market came to the province. The province of Prenderthale discovered a giant silver statue on one of the islands, and their advisor foolishly (but gloriously!) attempted to climb it. Dot hired Megabyte (The Convict) simply to ensure she could carry an advisor to future games, and asked Welman to build a Museum for her tablet. The resulting glory sealed another victory for Mainframe, and we chose to improve our fields.

And then, another box is unlocked! Colonies! More milestones, advisors, buildings, and upgrades!

As I mentioned above, this game went more smoothly for everyone, and we are all looking forward to the next session. I'm particularly happy that it looks like we might actually stabilize the rules for a game or two, and not unlock another chest for a bit. (We have already found the Strange Chart, but I'm doubtful that we'll have four colonies built for at least two games. Also, there might be some fighting over the chart itself.)

Also, with no open tombs and milestones that look harder to accomplish, the next game is likelier to go another round or two, which might be nice.

Thanks for reading!
-Lactamaeon
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathanaƫl Dufour
France
Lille
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Yes, that moment when you can enjoy the mechanics of an "almost full game", with the colonies, tombs but not too much new stuff or milestones is a sweet spot. You may find your future sessions go faster as players figure out how to optimize their turns and are not as unsure about their choices any more.

Back in game 4 my gf and I played in 3 hours some nights.... Now we often reach 24 glory in 1h !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Osuniev wrote:
You may find your future sessions go faster as players figure out how to optimize their turns and are not as unsure about their choices any more.

Yeah, that's happening some as well. I've been asked to give them a strategy session to help them improve their games, as I'm now many points ahead and have won 3 of 4 games.

Osuniev wrote:
Back in game 4 my gf and I played in 3 hours some nights.... Now we often reach 24 glory in 1h !

Neat :) We're playing with 5 players, so the games aren't likely to ever get that short I think. It's been nice to trim it down a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.