Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Henrik and I have started a second Campaign game of Last Blitzkrieg. This session is a straight Campaign Scenario with no optional rules in play. We are using the BCS Rules ver 1.1. We have switched sides and I play the Allies while Henrik plays the Germans.

Here is the situation at the start of 16 Dec.

On 16 Dec only 8 Allied formations have a possibility of activating. 2 formations have a first activation with a possible second act. The remaining 6 formations need to pass a reactivation die roll to be able to activate once. Only four Allied formations activate and three of those activations fail the SNAFU DR. In other words only one Allied activation responds to the German attack on 16 December.

On the German side one Pz formation does not activate on 16Dec (LehrPz) and the remaining five Pz formations must pass a reactivation DR to activate on this first day. Two German Pz formations fail to conduct an activation on 16Dec.

The following image shows the situation at the end of play; 16Dec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nolan Hudgens
msg tools
mbmb
How on earth did you manage to let Peiper just sit there? It's damned difficult to roll a 1 for that. Perhaps it's not so bad to let the divisional mainbody lead through the gap so as to block roads along the flanks.

It also looks like you aren't using Unit Traffic. I guess that's included in "no optionals." (with it, the 116 can barely make it across the BR bridge)

Decent start, especially at Losheimergraben.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Nolan,

Henrik is running the Germans but I will give you an answer.

I am sure that Henrik was just as surprised by the 1 he rolled for KGP's 16 Dec react. Since we are now just finishing 17 Dec I can tell you that KGP rolled a Partial SNAFU for 17 Dec and AGAIN rolled 1 for react.

Before anyone feels too bad for Henrik, note that at the end of 17 Dec 106ID, 14 Cav, 112/28, and 110/28 are likely not to survive 18 Dec as on map formations. In addition 4ID is reduced to 1 regt strength. But 26VG, LehrPz, 2Pz, 116Pz, 1SSPz, and 12SSPz are unopposed and ready to roll on 18 Dec.

I think the Germans are glad the weather is mud for 18Dec. I will post 17Dec as soon as I get the file prepared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As promised here is the Situation Map at the end of play on 17Dec.

At this point Malmedy has fallen and the front to the south is completely fragmented.

The weather turned in the Allies favor on 18Dec with Mud. The Allies have had their first 3 Formation activations for 18Dec. Both 101Abn and 30ID have failed to react. 7AD has fallen back to a line that stretches from Trois Ponts through Vielsalm south towards Houfallize. This line can only be considered a string of unconnected road blocks.

LehrPz struggled through muddy roads with a single Pass activation. 12SSPz advanced through Malmedy with 2 Activations both Passing SNAFU.

The only bright spot for the Allies is that Spa is still held (1Bn of 1ID) and all but one bridge crossing the Ambleve west of Malmedy were blown by US engineers.

Only one Allied Formation (82Abn) remains to attempt a reactivation west of the advancing Germans. The Germans have 7 Pz formations to activate with open roads in the Houfallize/Vielsalm gap and west through the valley of the Ambleve.

This has the potential to be a very short campaign.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Situation Map at the end of 18Dec

On 18Dec the Allied situation had deteriorated. The Allied commander made a significant error leaving a track through the Hohes Venn open and 1SSPz completed the encirclement of 2ID and 99ID. 101Abn did not activate and the Germans forged a weak but complete encirclement of 101Abn, CCR/9 and the remnants of 110/28ID in the Bastogne perimeter. On the Northern shoulder 9ID was driven completely off map and cannot try to return until 19Dec. 30ID failed to Activate and remains on the map edge. The Allied front has completely shattered and the following formations have been completely destroyed.
106ID
14Cav
112/28ID

110/28ID, 109/28ID, CCR/9, and CCB/9 are unlikely to survive to the end of 19Dec.

In game terms the German player had 31 Activations of which 61% were Pass and 39% were Partial SNAFU. The Allies had 21 Activations with 10%Pass, 43% Partial, 4%Recover and 43% Fail SNAFU.

A German problem was the slow start for 9SS & 2SS Pz Divs this turn.
The weather for 19Dec is Normal ground and low visibility and the roads to the Meuse are open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Situation Map at the end of 19Dec

The Allied attempt to blunt the German advance toward Liege and the Meuse failed on 19Dec.

6 Allied Formations had a chance to block the advance by 1SS and 12SS; 84ID (one Rgt arriving), 3AD(-), CCB/3AD, 30ID, 9ID and 1ID. With a potential for 12 activations max these 6 formations achieved 7 Partial SNAFU activations total. 3AD(-) advanced from Entry N to block the progress of 1SSPz, but KGP easily smashed them back off the map. Among the 3 strongest Allied Formations (30ID, 9ID, 1ID) they achieved one Partial activation for 1ID with 30ID and 9ID failing to activate or reactivate.

The Germans have a completely open path to entry area N. 9SSP managed two Pass SNAFU activations to reach past Spa but 2SSPz is lagging behind with a single Partial SNAFU Activation.

The remainder of the Allied front is completely fragmented. 101Abn opened the Bastogne pocket briefly only to have it slammed shut again by LehrPz.

At this point the following Allied Formations are completely destroyed.
106ID
14Cav
112/28ID
CCB/9AD
CCR/9AD

110/28ID will not survive the 20Dec turn and there is no possibility of saving 2ID and 99ID.

Henrik has played the Germans very well and has suffered completely average overall German Activation/Reactivation/SNAFU results.

The Allies have averaged a 50% failed SNAFU rate with only 6% Pass SNAFU results. The outstanding Allied error was allowing the 2ID and 99ID to be pocketed.

Henrik and I have agreed play will continue to the bitter end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
Shouldnt there be Divisions of US forces arriving in the North?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynn Brower
United States
Solon
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Kevin,

Yes, 84ID (one regt.), CCB/3A, and 3AD(-) arrive on 19Dec. But the next complete division does not arrive until the 22Dec game turn.

The game turns 20 and 21Dec are "the hole" for the Allies. This is the critical time for the Germans to make ground for a Sudden Death victory because the Allied Avalanche arrives on 22Dec.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.