Popular Tags: [View All]
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I was ordering some boards on Print and Play and discovered the games. I'm glad I bought this one. It's interesting how many games were spawned by that one movie (Aliens). I grew up with "Aliens" by Leading Edge Games, "Space Hulk" by Games Workshop, and the recent AVP by Prodos. Haven't played Intruder or the newer version.

The odd thing is that Burke in the movie probably chose this particular Marine unit for it's lack of prowess -- he wanted the Aliens alive after all-, not dead. Gorman was easily manipulated and indecisive and I expect some of the others weren't exactly top of their game either. Also there is some indication that the Colonial Marines were more extensions of corporate security than checks on the corporations.

Both in this game and in the movie (and in the Aliens game by Leading Edge) the Marines have no idea what they're walking into. In Space Hulk and AVP they both know what to expect (or seem to). It's probably no accident that the Aliens are a lot more disadvantaged in those games. AVP's marines can slaughter the aliens so fast it will make your head spin.

It makes me wonder if THESE marines in this game would do better if they were for-warned. In Space Hulk/Warhammer 40K there is a lot of experience fighting the genestealers. If that was true here, would they develop special anti-alien tech? Maybe the aliens are sensitive to light or sound? Throwing in a screaming strobe grenade or a flash bang might disorient them without killing the humans. Assault robots might keep the aliens occupied while the marines shot them, etc. How would that scenario differ from the games we almost always see -- hordes of aliens showing up out of nowhere with diamond hard razor sharp claws that can (apparently) cut through armored steel etc. That is even more implausible in Space Hulk since that isn't merely kevlar and steel plate but actually power armor. I doubt it's actually possible to bioengineer any animal with claws that can penetrate powered armor. I'm not sure a person in Terminator 40K armor would even notice the Aliens were there much less be endangered by them. It's possible the acid blood would be an issue.

Anyway the game looks GREAT and I'm looking forward to puzzling through the rules. The game itself stands up component wise to modern games, maybe they should consider updating the rules to modern standards? Even if you are page limited you can always do multiple books if you need more space.

These forums will be excellent for answering most of my questions I'm sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Bechard
United States
Memphis
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome! It's a damn fine game that always produces some very cinematic narratives, which is what I love about it. I don't care if I win or lose, I just want to see what happens to these poor hapless souls!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:
Welcome! It's a damn fine game that always produces some very cinematic narratives, which is what I love about it. I don't care if I win or lose, I just want to see what happens to these poor hapless souls!

I love that attitude. It's one I aspire to. Too often I have trouble feeling that way when I lose but I'm working on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Pattison
United States
Odenton
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've finished 80+ games. Everyone of them has been different. At first, it was fun coming up with the plan that works. Then, you stay for the crazy random stuff that comes at you.

On the rules, the designers expected that you would fill in some of the holes with your RPG experience. My opinion is that the first edition rules are better, but the second editions are prettier.

As far as robots go, if you find any, you'll find that they are a liability. The computer is batcrap crazy and likes to hack them and make them go berserk at inappropriate times. I am not sure bringing your own would make you any safer. But I will say, you haven't lived until you've been attacked by reconbot. There's something embarrassing about having one of your Marines knocked unconscious by something the size of a rumba behaving as viciously as a toy poodle.

I was also attracted to this game, because Aliens was my favorite movie. It's not really the Aliens scenario. That would be Raid on St. Nazaire which is more of a closing trap where the situation gets worse and worse until you can no longer move.

As far as Aliens is concerned, I wouldn't really say that that unit had a reputation for a lack of prowess that would have attracted Burke. If you read the Colonial Marines Technical manual, they are actually at half strength. The CO and half the unit bought it on the last drop. Considering that the Company probably misrepresented the situation to avoid scrutiny, the USCM thought it was sending an under strength unit on a milk run. The lack of prowess is Gorman's fault alone. His order that he never changes for a straight V deployment and his order to collect magazines left the Marines with their heavy wpns and motion trackers crowded together in the front of the formation with their asses hanging out in the rear which made them easy pickings. Other than that, I agree with you.

Anyway, welcome. I think you should be fine. If you have any trouble integrating all the nuances of the rules together, there is a flow chart that Lines put together in the files section that will guide you through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gogmagog wrote:

This game has been on my radar for so long....

The same company do Hidden Intruder , I have the original from way back and that was a fun little game this looks like a serious , fun big game.

I decided to take the plunge and go for the classic +Ferryman scenario at $30 its great and now the postage is under(just) the price of the game I have pulled the trigger.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dancing Frog wrote:
I've finished 80+ games. Everyone of them has been different. At first, it was fun coming up with the plan that works. Then, you stay for the crazy random stuff that comes at you.

On the rules, the designers expected that you would fill in some of the holes with your RPG experience. My opinion is that the first edition rules are better, but the second editions are prettier.

As far as robots go, if you find any, you'll find that they are a liability. The computer is batcrap crazy and likes to hack them and make them go berserk at inappropriate times. I am not sure bringing your own would make you any safer. But I will say, you haven't lived until you've been attacked by reconbot. There's something embarrassing about having one of your Marines knocked unconscious by something the size of a rumba behaving as viciously as a toy poodle.

I was also attracted to this game, because Aliens was my favorite movie. It's not really the Aliens scenario. That would be Raid on St. Nazaire which is more of a closing trap where the situation gets worse and worse until you can no longer move.

As far as Aliens is concerned, I wouldn't really say that that unit had a reputation for a lack of prowess that would have attracted Burke. If you read the Colonial Marines Technical manual, they are actually at half strength. The CO and half the unit bought it on the last drop. Considering that the Company probably misrepresented the situation to avoid scrutiny, the USCM thought it was sending an under strength unit on a milk run. The lack of prowess is Gorman's fault alone. His order that he never changes for a straight V deployment and his order to collect magazines left the Marines with their heavy wpns and motion trackers crowded together in the front of the formation with their asses hanging out in the rear which made them easy pickings. Other than that, I agree with you.

Anyway, welcome. I think you should be fine. If you have any trouble integrating all the nuances of the rules together, there is a flow chart that Lines put together in the files section that will guide you through.

I've read though the strategy and rules forums and I was very impressed by your strategy. I did read the technical manual. I think the corps leave them unsupported so they are easier to manage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Truesdell
United States
Uniontown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I was ordering some boards on Print and Play and discovered the games

Never heard of this and just found this game. What is it exactly? I have seen this game on Ebay but I am not really sure what I am getting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Griffin
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
ctcharger wrote:
Quote:
I was ordering some boards on Print and Play and discovered the games

Never heard of this and just found this game. What is it exactly? I have seen this game on Ebay but I am not really sure what I am getting.

It's kind of like the old Intruder game. You have a bunch of Marines who arrive by shuttle and explore a spaceship to try to see what happened and rescue the crew. The ship was invaded by aliens who have murdered most of the crew but not all. Some of the ship's robots are still around, either deactivated or insane. The ship's computer is less than helpful. Some crew are also insane and hostile. Aliens are not unlike Giger Aliens.

It's a cross between an Aliens movie and a puzzle. The print and play has nice components (depending on the version you buy). Decent game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.