Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: duplicate [+] [View All]
Jon Cormier
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A few weeks ago I decided it was time to try and save money by not going to a pub to meet friends on that week between paycheques and invited them over for a bit of gaming. It was a long weekend so no work on Monday meant we could all get together on Sunday night. I wasn't expecting everyone invited to come but they were all up for it and I had to quickly find a game that could sit seven players.

Thankfully there is game shop directly across from my office. So that Friday, I picked up Bang! for ten bucks and when I actually saw a miniature tumble-weed on my way home I knew it was the right choice. Okay, I'm in Ottawa, so it wasn't real tumble-weed but it was this dried up mossy bit being blown down the road so that qualifies for me.

Sunday rolls around and after I suffer through Ms. Butinski interupt me everytime I try to explain the rules I put on some Johnny Cash, we grasp our beers, load the six shooters and try to figure out what the heck happens next.

This was a game that looks like it should be a lot easier to understand. It's not rocket science but it is a bit wonky the first time you play. I managed to get the Sheriff card and a character that made me one extra space distant from everyone else. I was also lucky to have a mustang in my first hand and, unknown to me, two deputies on either side.

The bullets started flying, we totally misplayed the Cat Ballou cards each time but at least the consistency kept it fair for everyone. We were all a bit dismayed by the amount of Missed! cards but we were happy to shout out Moncado! or whatever it is in Italian each time. By the time the dynamite hit the table we were in the swing of things and enjoying the bloodshed and general chaos at the table.

We were all a bit lost at first but it didn't take long to get into the swing of things. It does take a game to understand what is happening so if you're giving this a shot, remember that and be prepared for it - I thought it would go smoother.

In the end, we managed to figure out the little tricks and were ready to load up the guns, keep an eye on the saloon and go after each other once again. This is a fun little game once people get into the theme, setting and get the hang of how it plays. Just avoid Cat Ballou and consider removing some of the missed cards and horses for it to go that much faster.

Yes, you will make lots of jokes about banging each other, accept it. By the end of the game, one friend said, "I think Bang! is the word of the week now." I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
V Earles
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a duplicate session report.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.