Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb

You know, I don't need any more of these things (I have about 40 for WWI already) but I get the feeling the Bristol F.2B won't be printed again for years and they're getting hard to find. So I picked up two of them. I also got the Sachsenberg D.VII for the same reason. The local guys can't get them (or any other plane) through Alliance now, so I ordered online.

I can always sell them for the original price in a couple of years if I don't want them. They don't seem to go down in value. As best I can tell all the hard-core players buy one of each regardless of interest, because they know they will sell out in six months. If you "want-them" you gotta "got-them" when they're available.

They're just getting around to reprinting the earliest models released in 2006.

S.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
Sagrilarus wrote:
You know, I don't need any more of these things (I have about 40 for WWI already)
Gosh, I must have that many, too. Heh, heh.
Though I haven't purchased any of the latest wave, your thread has me now eyeing them.
They look as awesome as ever.

Sagrilarus wrote:
I can always sell them for the original price in a couple of years if I don't want them. They don't seem to go down in value.

I would agree with you even if I have thrown away the original packaging, I'm sure someone would purchase them if it came down to me parting with my collection. But I can't imagine I would sell them off, They're just too cool-looking.

Sagrilarus wrote:
As best I can tell all the hard-core players buy one of each regardless of interest, because they know they will sell out in six months. If you "want-them" you gotta "got-them" when they're available.
I was buying one of each for the first four waves and have played a few solitaire dogfights with the same three planes. As for the later waves, I have picked up the three of the German planes because of the paint schemes and lozenge patterning.
Did I mention how amazing they look?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
The world is what we make of it. So why not make it a better place?
mbmbmbmbmb
I started with only a dozen or so and quickly realized how limited that was. I'm right around 40-50 right now but will stop around 60ish. I think I have enough for a lot of variety right now.

Even so some are terribly hard to find and quite expensive on eBay. For me I'd love a pair of Pfalz D.IIIa and a pair of RAF S.E. 5a. But I know that isn't likely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost count at 125 planes.
All the bombers and balloons.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For me I'd love a pair of Pfalz D.IIIa and a pair of RAF S.E. 5a. But I know that isn't likely.

I'm with you on that. Even though I have two of each from the original series, I would love more of them, and would wager that these would sell better than the more obscure Austrian planes and seaplanes that we have seen as new releases. Both of your picks are "wave 4" from the WoW days and they have not even done Wave 3 yet. As much as I am glad to see more Alb. D-III and N-17s, the Re8 is probably the jewel of Wave 3 coming up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
♫ As the masters rot on walls ♫ And the angels eat their grapes ♫ I watched Picasso Visit The Planet Of The Apes ♫
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hopless. Just ordered the latest planes today on Miniature Market:

Wings of Glory: WWI - Phonix D.I (Urban)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Phonix D.I (Gruber)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Phonix D.I (Lang)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Nieuport 11 (De Turenne)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Nieuport 11 (Chaput)

Wings of Glory: WWI - Albatros C.III (Bohme/Ladermacher)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Albatros C.III (Luftstreitkrafte)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter Comic (78 Squadron)
Wings of Glory: WWI - Sopwith 1 1/2 Strutter (Costes/Astor)

Pack of Heroes (Clearance) to round out for free shipping.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I just got into Wings of Glory two months ago (I had a chance to play the game at the Ares booth at Essen). Since then I've gone nuts buying, to the point where I now have 34 aircraft. I'd like to get a dozen more, but all of the planes I want are either Wings of Glory aircraft that are out of stock, or Wings of War planes that are really pricey.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
'When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning' - Dr. Reiner Knizia
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Common affliction. When I started all I wanted was less than a dozen planes. I quickly realized that that was far too few for any variety. So I added a few for variety. Then foolishly I started reading the old scenarios so I thought a few more just to match the planes in the scenarios.

It's like an unguarded open jar of candy. Either that or a plastic crack addiction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Man thinks, the river flows.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Speaking as someone who's been in this since 2005 one thing becomes apparent -- some of these models are not coming back in the next ten years. A lot of the hardcore guys buy two of each plane that comes out and sells the second copy after a year or two. Buy at discount then sell at retail means you get double discount on the one plane you keep.

I'm not that concerned about missing a plane. But at $10 to $20 apiece they're impulse buys. You end up with a pile of them without trying.

The new WWII planes are coming out without ID markings. They come in one paint job with decals to customize each model. Fits the actual paint from the war, and makes mixing and matching easier. I'm on the fence about which and how many to buy.

S.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I tell myself I'm going to stop.
But then Andrea comes out with a new Nieuport with rockets!
Rockets!
How can I say no to that!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
I tell myself I'm going to stop.
But then Andrea comes out with a new Nieuport with rockets!
Rockets!
How can I say no to that!

Planes with Rockets, even if they weren't popular, and balloons was something that I excitedly sought. Finally I found some kind fellow that wasn't requiring me to get a mortgage and I was able to pick up both of the originals. Just a month later the Ni. 11 with Rockets came out. As it happened the Ni 11 Bebe was far more common than the Ni 16 that had just gotten. Well...

And that's how you become hooked.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Last night I was watching an episode of Star Trek: Voyager, and one of the characters quoted the Ferengi Five Stages of Acquisition: Infatuation, Justification, Appropriation, Obsession and Resale. It seemed oddly appropriate to this discussion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You do not need to go through all five. You can stop earlier...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lemick
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Andrea,

Right now I think I'm in "Obsession". I am having a great time with the game. And I've owned any number of WWI air games over the years. I've even designed one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Angiolino
Italy
Rome
European Union
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your design, then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just finished unpacking and storing the newest planes. I love the inclusion of pilot and special rules cards!

I also had a chance to count up my plane miniatures:
2 observation balloons
3 play mats
104 planes (including the Balloon Busters Nieuports, 4 bombers and 2 even bigger bombers)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
Just finished unpacking and storing the newest planes. I love the inclusion of pilot and special rules cards!

I also had a chance to count up my plane miniatures:
2 observation balloons
3 play mats
104 planes (including the Balloon Busters Nieuports, 4 bombers and 2 even bigger bombers)

You're a fair bit ahead of me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have the new planes on my game table.
I next have to build cardboard partitions for a new storage box to hold them. I plan to count my entire collection when I rearrange the planes by type. I have every plane sold since the "Wings of War" days starting with the original Deluxe set (that I had to get from Germany).
Also have both sets of Mats, Balloons, All the bombers and all the box sets. And then there is each plane reissue plus its original.
At $10 plus a plane and more for the specials, I figure that I'm into Andrea for a couple of grand over the years. The quality and design plus fun factor of this game is the reason for my obsession. I just need more room now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ken at Sunrise wrote:
You're a fair bit ahead of me.
Give it time, Ken. You'll get there! Since last post, I picked up the two blue Siemens-Schuckert and Ancillotto's Nieuport 11, so I'm at 107 planes!

And I agree with your thread about the BGG entries for each individual release. It's essential every plane, balloon, mat, bomber, whatever! have its own BGG entry.
It would be nice to keep track of one's collection while browsing what other fans own and see what's for trade, to buy, or wishlisted.

Momoshiro wrote:
I have every plane sold since the "Wings of War" days starting with the original Deluxe set (that I had to get from Germany).
Also have both sets of Mats, Balloons, All the bombers and all the box sets. And then there is each plane reissue plus its original.
At $10 plus a plane and more for the specials, I figure that I'm into Andrea for a couple of grand over the years. The quality and design plus fun factor of this game is the reason for my obsession. I just need more room now.
Awesome collection, John.
I was there from the get-go in 2004 and my plan was to purchase everything. The game satisfied two interests for me: gaming with biplanes and building model airplanes (which I wasn't ever very good or patient with in constructing)
But by wave 4, the desire was slipping. I never did get the original mats, but that is okay, the WoG version are just as nice.

Momoshiro wrote:
I next have to build cardboard partitions for a new storage box to hold them.
I did such a thing for the maneuver cards, storing them horizontally with the WoG box, but it's not enough room.
Ideally, I would have liked an FFG-sized box like Eldritch Horror and built new cardboard partitions storing the cards vertically and plaster the cover with WWI plane images.

Instead, and just the other day, I purchased this case as I'm hoping to find the perfect storage solution for all my maneuver decks.

It should arrive next week and I plan to post images if it's the ideal solution I hope it turns out to be!

SE 87322DB 26 Compartment Plastic Storage Box with Adjustable Sections, 18" x 12" x 3"/Large, Black/Yellow/Clear
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Koff
United States
Wilmington
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my "What's Next?" blog.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Aerodrome Accessories hangar trays are a great storage solution (the different sizes go in and out of stock). Here's the link: http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/storage/hangar...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken
United States
West Palm Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spindoc wrote:
The Aerodrome Accessories hangar trays are a great storage solution (the different sizes go in and out of stock). Here's the link: http://www.aerodromeaccessories.com/index.php/storage/hangar...

I started out storing my decks and the plane bases separately. But after a bit I moved to the Aerodrome Accessories hangar trays. I agree they are great. It truly makes easier to get the game going. They do however take up twice as much space since half of the tray is for the plane decks. That's the only down side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I counted my entire collection.
Including 12 doubles (due to these planes being reissued from "Wings of War" to "Wings of Glory") and the two Nieuport 16s from Balloon Busters and the 8 planes from the two Deluxe sets the total came to:
142 planes (and 10 individual Bombers and two Balloons).
So, that's 130 unique one & two seaters (plus 12 reissued doubles).

One thing I noticed while counting is that the machine guns on the top wing of the Nieuports went from incredibly detailed on the Balloon Busters Nieuport 16s with a separate slender tripod piece that was black holding the silver machine gun:
To just a fair gray machine gun with no tripod on the Nieuport 17s:
To a poorly detailed tripod/gun single piece painted silver on the Nieuport 11s:

When you place the Nieuport 16 next to the Nieuport 11 you really notice the difference in detail. I'd pay an extra buck or two per Nieuport for the detail of the separate tripod and gun on the top wing like was done on the 16s. I hear more Nieuports are coming out in the future so...hint, hint.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonan Jello
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Momoshiro wrote:
Last night I counted my entire collection.
Including 12 doubles (due to these planes being reissued from "Wings of War" to "Wings of Glory") and the two Nieuport 16s from Balloon Busters and the 8 planes from the two Deluxe sets the total came to:
142 planes (and 10 individual Bombers and two Balloons).
So, that's 130 unique one & two seaters (plus 12 reissued doubles).
Impressive. I wish I had purchased those deluxe sets.

Momoshiro wrote:
One thing I noticed while counting is that the machine guns on the top wing of the Nieuports went from incredibly detailed on the Balloon Busters Nieuport 16s with a separate slender tripod piece that was black holding the silver machine gun
Indeed. Other stuff:
I miss the rolling wheels and more crucial, the spinning propellers as they seemed less prone to break than the static props. (none of my props are broken, so it's not a big deal).

As well, I don't mind the brown-blob pilots, but wish all planes either had them or not. Very minor things for such beautiful little miniatures!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Labelle
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hex_Enduction_Hour wrote:
I miss the rolling wheels and more crucial, the spinning propellers as they seemed less prone to break than the static props. (none of my props are broken, so it's not a big deal).
At game meets the very first announcement is "The propellers DO NOT SPIN!" Then, the joke of the day is to continually ask me if they do. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.