Subject: Rookie question about the armor kits rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably a stupid question, but without ever having played the game, I have to ask.

I understand the starting survivors. They're naked, they don't have armour. Cool, I understand.

So at what point do you replace the miniatures with the armour kit models? Or do you start with a base model and glue pieces of the armour on as you obtain it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sven Wasberg
msg tools
mbmbmb
The armor kits are new models.
You donĀ“t attach them to your starting-survivors.
You can build / use them whenever you like or when it seems like the right time for you.
If it is important for you, you could magnetize every part of your survivors.
That allows you to always use a miniature that 100 % represents your current survivor and his gear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Patrick
United States
Phoenix
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The armor kits include limbs inside the armor, so it creates entirely new models. You can mix and match as you see fit, so you could make a bunch of matching sets, or if you find a great gear and weapon combo you love in the game, you can make that into a miniature using the armor kits. You don't ever need to use any of the armor kits, though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Trewartha
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Everyone chooses their own way to use or integrate them. Common consensus seems to be magnets (takes a long long time) or build one as you unlock and start to use the armour set in game then have the other 3 to either make cool looking combos or when you do come across favourite builds assemble that way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
IA Seldon
msg tools
mb
The other spectrum of the answer is to have the armor kits as a sort of side-hobby, where you just make fantastic looking people with cool weapons.

The armor kits need never intrude into your game unless you desire them to do so. Indeed, sometimes it is practical not to include the kits and to just play the game with the starting survivors, because those first four minis are quite distinct from one another and easily distinguished at a glance.

All in all, it comes down to a personal preference that you will develop as you play the game.

Best of luck!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Penny
Australia
Greenslopes
Queensland
flag msg tools
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather, who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fair enough, thanks for the answers guys. Seems pretty straight forward.

guess I'll have to wait and see how much assembly everything needs as I've never assembled minis before. Always had the fantasy flight type where it's good to go out of the box.

Be a learning experience for sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve
United States
Manteca
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am debating on not using any of the armor kits and just using the starter heroes, the heroes in the first hero expansion, and the rest of the narrative sculpts. Is there any sort of after market that would make these worth selling or should I just toss them in my garage in case I ever have the free time and the whim to do something with them? I think the idea of them is great, but I am not picky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fubarbox wrote:
I am debating on not using any of the armor kits and just using the starter heroes, the heroes in the first hero expansion, and the rest of the narrative sculpts. Is there any sort of after market that would make these worth selling or should I just toss them in my garage in case I ever have the free time and the whim to do something with them? I think the idea of them is great, but I am not picky.

If you think you will ever want them, it is worth holding onto them.

I'm sure you've had to track down stuff you have sold and wanted back before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess there's two ways to go about armor kits: Either you create them the first times you have a survivor outfitted in that particular armor, and thus get a lasting memory of soon-to-be-dead guys. Or you go the magnetization route and get ever-changing armored guys that always represent their current equipment, at a higher investment of time.

I'm thinking I'll probably do the former.

Edit: Of course you can also pre-assemble, but where's the fun in that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay W
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think using the starting survivors is a common way of doing it, and you will definitely be able to sell on spare or unwanted armour kits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Dripps
msg tools
Does anyone have a good online source for learning how to magnetize? I too have never put together a mini but am looking to go all out in this game, painting included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Merethif
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're going to play with starting survivors through whole campaign you will have to deal with male survivors being represented on board with female minis and vice versa because it's not like you're always hunting with two females and two males. Sure, it's not big issue, but still it's easier IMO if miniature is of the same sex as survivor it represents. So if I were you I would at least build four extra survivors with Armoured Kit to have 4 females and 4 males total.

Also I think it's convenient to build minis corresponding to some kind of "classes" (especially if you're playing solo). During showdowns it's just easier to know at first glance, without the need to checking gear grids all the times, where your heavy-hitter/multi-hitter/range-hitter/monster-controller is. For example amongst my minis I have a guy with heavy axe so whenever a male survivor equipped with any sort of axe/club is going on the hunt, he is represented with this mini.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Welter
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
matthewdripps wrote:
Does anyone have a good online source for learning how to magnetize? I too have never put together a mini but am looking to go all out in this game, painting included.

Check out my magnetizing tutorial here: http://adventuresinminiaturegaming.blogspot.com/2016/06/king...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Magnetizing. WOW! Pretty incredible!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.