Popular Tags: [View All]
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First, a question regarding the actual rule. When it says that a player spends the Badal tokens I assume it's a one time use only (you discard it after use), is that correct?

For those who have played with this variant, what has been your experience? It looks like a gentle catchup mechanism and deterrent, how do you feel it impacts the speed of the game, balance among players, and playstyle? Cole, if you happen to chime in, as the designer do you prefer to play with this variant or without? Was it to improve gameplay or for variety only? Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cole Wehrle
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
Badal tokens are discarded after use.

As for the development. The badal tokens came late, mostly for thematic reasons. So much of politics in the period was powered by the idea of retribution and I thought the badal tokens were a nice way of getting that. That they provided a helping hand to players who were getting smacked around was icing on the cake.

Ultimately they stayed an optional rule because they came so late in the development process and playtesting groups were split on the rules. Some liked it and some felt like it didn't add much.

As for myself, I like the rules. I tend to use them mostly in 2 and 3 player games which can be extraordinarily mean. I haven't actually tried them with Khyber Knives--mostly because the rules for augmentation provide a similar kind of boosting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luigi C.
United States
Sedro Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you Cole. What attracted me to this variant indeed was the thematic reason. Given that I want to dive into Khyber Knives next I will set it aside for now and go with the more thoroughly playtested approach for the first games of the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Mesa
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
I like badal tokens mechanically; they add strength to weak cards which fixes a complaint I often hear (about the variance in available ranks). This is also fixed with the expansion, but it's nice to be able to play without it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.