Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
One of my groups has pretty much all the Dungeon Saga stuff (from the KS campaign) and is interested in trying to perhaps get the game to the table at long last. I was hoping some kind souls who have experience with the game might be able to offer some advice. First, if you have any "general advice" about easily flubbed rules or bad scenarios or the like that would be appreciated. Next, if you are feeling up to answering a few questions that would be most appreciated.

1) My understanding is the Adventurer's Companion isn't so hot, and the game is not improved by using it. Are all the expansions (orcs, infernal, etc) all playable without the AC material?

2) Do the campaigns need to played in any sort of order?

3) Some people in the group have been burned by timed missions like in Descent 2 and Imperial Assault. My understanding is most missions in DS use something similar. Are there any adjustments recommended to make it feel more satisfying?

4) How many sessions does it take to do most of the campaigns?

5) Is the game satisfying if played cooperatively? Or does the game just play better with a GM versus players?

Thank you for any advice and/or ideas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
1) & 2) All the "as written" campaigns are open the box and play. The retail version of DS is a good game. And no, there's no 'correct' order to play them.

3) In particular, the base game Necromancer campaign is very timed. There's unfortunately no time for the Heroes to do normal dungeon crawl type things.
In the Green Menace, not all the scenarios are timed, so this campaign feels a lot better to me, especially since the greenskin units are a lot tougher than the undead.

4) How long are your sessions?

5) I have not tried the Invisible Overlord myself, so I can't speak to this issue.

If you do decide to create custom characters, know that you'll start out considerably weaker than the pre-built characters at level 1, then you'll surpass the pre-built characters in power by level 5, if not before, especially due to the purchasing of items during downtime.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave K
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Love 'em even if a few games get scuttled from time to time.
badge
Meow.
mbmbmbmbmb
ampoliros wrote:
1) & 2) All the "as written" campaigns are open the box and play. The retail version of DS is a good game. And no, there's no 'correct' order to play them.

3) In particular, the base game Necromancer campaign is very timed. There's unfortunately no time for the Heroes to do normal dungeon crawl type things.
In the Green Menace, not all the scenarios are timed, so this campaign feels a lot better to me, especially since the greenskin units are a lot tougher than the undead.

4) How long are your sessions?

5) I have not tried the Invisible Overlord myself, so I can't speak to this issue.

If you do decide to create custom characters, know that you'll start out considerably weaker than the pre-built characters at level 1, then you'll surpass the pre-built characters in power by level 5, if not before, especially due to the purchasing of items during downtime.

1) Glad to hear the campaigns are good.

3) I'll try to warn everyone about the Necromancer missions so they don't get taken by surprised by the timer.

4) We haven't played the game yet so I can't say. If you're asking for how many hours we tend to game in one sitting, it's 4-6, but we usually do not play the same game multiple times in the same night.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Happymrdave wrote:
One of my groups has pretty much all the Dungeon Saga stuff (from the KS campaign) and is interested in trying to perhaps get the game to the table at long last. I was hoping some kind souls who have experience with the game might be able to offer some advice. First, if you have any "general advice" about easily flubbed rules or bad scenarios or the like that would be appreciated. Next, if you are feeling up to answering a few questions that would be most appreciated.

1) My understanding is the Adventurer's Companion isn't so hot, and the game is not improved by using it. Are all the expansions (orcs, infernal, etc) all playable without the AC material?

2) Do the campaigns need to played in any sort of order?

3) Some people in the group have been burned by timed missions like in Descent 2 and Imperial Assault. My understanding is most missions in DS use something similar. Are there any adjustments recommended to make it feel more satisfying?

4) How many sessions does it take to do most of the campaigns?

5) Is the game satisfying if played cooperatively? Or does the game just play better with a GM versus players?

Thank you for any advice and/or ideas.

The non AC related rule with the most issues is the shooting/line of sight rule. Line of Sight is supposed to be easy to get. I have a FAQ and special line of sight guide here:

http://twilight40k.blogspot.com/p/sons-of-twilight-dungeon-s...

1.) Campaigns do not need AC as each mission has who is playing what abilities and gear they have listed.

2.) Only 2 campaign link: Core first then Return of Valandor. The rest Crypts, Warlord, Tyrant all use different characters from each other and the base game (models and stats are often reused but different name.)

3.) Many timed missions. One option is after the timer has finished you give the Overlord additional things to force a quick end (instead of full stop and replay). Extra commands and the ability to place PIB generally bring heroes down if they take to long.

4.) Each mission is generally 30-60 minutes but sometimes they get replayed if lost.

5.) It is better with human overlord as opposed to Invisible Overlord rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thorsten Schröder
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
Loser at the 'Pursuit of Happiness Contest'
mbmbmbmbmb
About the timed missions:
When I heard about them I was not so keen on it. So were my players. But we gave it a go and found it very enjoyable. It adds to the tension and forces the heroes to take risks. Like leaving a pile of bones behind to push forward and so risking getting flanked.
After the tutorial missions (which have no timer) my players were not aware enough of the timer... they don't make that mistake again.
I suggest just try it out.

The campaign structure is a point where people complain frequently. If the heroes loose a mission they have to play it again. One of my player particularly gets the urge to try a failed mission again. They try to figure out how to improve. I like that a lot. Of course they have only a limited number of tries for the whole campaign - although they are doing quite well, we have an agreement that we play every scenario regardless if the miss the limit. We just make a note of it that they would have lost.
We love the basegame as it is and can't wait to go ahead in the campaign.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad P
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
The campaign structure really comes down to if you are there to see who is better or there for the story. The timers make the missions different from just kill everything in a slow and methodical way (where the heroes would just dominate) but the replay because you went slow seems weird in the narrative context. There are many options. If the heroes lose the mission from time you can just keep playing it out and charge them the extra hour from the campaign limit without doing a replay. This keeps the narrative going better. If the Hero gets crippled them they have to fall back and try the assault again.

If I can get the Uncharted working I better I hope to add a rule that allows on the A to B type missions to do an uncharted one instead of replaying the one they just did as they have to find another path through the dungeon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.