Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been playing LOTR LCG solo for a fair while now casually, usually i play one handed and have had moderate success. Usually i play normal mode as i feel taking cards out of the deck is being a bit soft.

Anyway, lately i have been attempting to play two handed with some netdeck'd decks i came across. I'm finding it a lot harder to keep track of the session and find i'll quit the session most of the time. Perhaps its just me but i think i prefer one handed.

Thanks, it feels better to get that off my chest.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was prepping for a four player campaign through The Hobbit, and was playtesting the decks I had made. Four-handed just about killed me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dundy O
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
"Jesus said to him, “I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only play one-handed. I love it, though you miss out on some of the co-op card play.

That's one of the many great things about the game. It scales beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Murphy
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
Fore!
mbmbmbmbmb
I live for 2-handed. But I'd say you're in good company
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I prefer the simplicity of one-handed for sure, but sometimes it seems like two-handed is a better approach to some quests so I'll go that route. I enjoy the variability. Harder than two-handed, to me, is remembering all the card triggers in play with complex encounter decks. I was thinking recently that I may start taking notes as I play and see if that helps track everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually play one handed but dabble in two handed. I think you lose a lot when not playing two handed, like ranged and sentinel as well as encounter deck combos.

To help me keep track of things I've been using a magic the gathering life counter application called "Mutility".

It's pretty customizable and can be used for things other than magic. I set it up for 3 player counters, use two of them to keep track of threat and one of them to keep track of the round. Once you get used to it you get a rhythm of "tap tap tap" at the end of the round.

The only thing you really need to remember is the "first player token".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Praxus wrote:
I definitely understand where you're coming from. I was prepping for a four player campaign through The Hobbit, and was playtesting the decks I had made. Four-handed just about killed me.

surprise

Multi-handed probably wouldn't be as bad except each hand has three heroes so you're already kind of playing as "multi" to begin with. I wonder if the new Arkham Horror LCG with one hero per hand will be easier to keep track of multi-handed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
To help me keep track of things I've been using a magic the gathering life counter application called "Mutility".

That's a neat idea and I already have that app. I guess your phone could be the first player token, just place it back and forth next to the draw deck of whichever player is the first player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan DeLano
United States
West Valley City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:

Multi-handed probably wouldn't be as bad except each hand has three heroes so you're already kind of playing as "multi" to begin with. I wonder if the new Arkham Horror LCG with one hero per hand will be easier to keep track of multi-handed?

I'm about to find out!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe D
United States
Detroit
Michigan
flag msg tools
One Ring to Rule Them All
badge
I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass.
mbmbmbmbmb
ACGalaga wrote:
I usually play one handed but dabble in two handed. I think you lose a lot when not playing two handed, like ranged and sentinel as well as encounter deck combos.

I admit it's tricky to play two handed, but I totally agree that a lot is lost when playing one handed. It frustrates me that there's no one-handed use for things like the ranged skill.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr Johnson
msg tools
You could always try the 'Fellowship' rules which combine 2 hands into one. There is a thread in the files section, but rather than try to find that, it's easier if I copy my own variant on this system below:

DRJ VARIANT - LORD OF THE RINGS – MODIFIED FELLOWSHIP RULES
ADAPTED FROM "SIMBO SMITH"

These rules are for solo players who want to play with 6 heroes all at once in one group, rather than split across two hands. How to play this variant and the rules changes are shown below:

GAME SETUP
Have one player deck of 50 cards as per normal. Draw 8 cards as your starting hand. You may mulligan.

Choose more than 3 heroes (usually 6) and lay them side by side all in one hand.

When calculating your threat, use 2 threat trackers. When you add up your heroes' starting threat you divide it in half and you put each half on one threat tracker. So if your starting threat is 60, you'd put 30 on each tracker. If it’s 61, you'd put 31 on one and 30 on the other.

RESOURCE PHASE
Draw 2 cards from your deck into your hand. If you want to make the game slightly easier, draw 3 cards from your deck each round.

Each hero gains one resource as per normal.

PLANNING PHASE
There are no changes to this

QUEST PHASE
This is exactly the same as per normal, but play two cards from the encounter deck into the staging area.

TRAVEL PHASE

ENCOUNTER PHASE

COMBAT PHASE

REFRESH PHASE
You add 1 threat to each threat tracker at the end of the round.

CARD EFFECTS
When it comes to any card effect that talks about the number of players, you always use 2 but you play the game as if you were 1 person. There is no 'first' player.

When you have to add threat to your tracker due to a card effect or failed quest resolution, you always add it to the lowest one (if they are both the same then obviously it doesn't matter which one you choose). You are not allowed to split the cost up and put half on each tracker - you always have to add the whole lot to the lowest one.

When you have to work out what your threat is during the game, you always take the highest one. So if your threat trackers were showing 35 and 33, your threat is 35, enemies will engage the entire group at 35.

All the other rules stay the same.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Schipper
Australia
Aberfoyle Park
South Australia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dr. J i'll give this variant a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Nierste
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always had an itch to try four-handed, just to see what it was like. A small part of me which hates myself also wants to one day use three solo decks to attempt epic multiplayer mode in Siege of Annuminas
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly B
Finland
Vantaa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
Praxus wrote:

surprise

As a player who cannot handle two handed LOTR LCG I can confidently say that two handed AH LCG is so much more doable for me. In fact, I find it very smooth and not in the least bit overwhelming. It's fun, very much like multi investigator AH or EH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Broderick
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only ever played one game two-handed and don't feeling like I'm missing out on anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.