Subject: The Mice of Moria rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
A custom scenario for Mice and Mystics. It is the Moria adventure from the Lord of the Rings, as I imagine it would go if it was in M&M. Please note, this requires both the Heart of Glorm and Downwood Tales expansions to play. I encourage everyone who likes LotR to try it out, I hope you enjoy it.

This is available for download in the Files section, you can also scroll down to kiloforce's post and there is a link there.

Bedtime For Elda,

When Tip had his friend Elda over for a slumber party, old Daz thought he might settle them down with one of his many stories. He sat back in his chair as the two young ones nestled into their beds. “Now, I suppose I ought to start at the beginning, with the tale of Prince Collin and the witch-“

“I know that one already.” Elda interrupted.
“Eh? Do you now?”
“Tip told me at school. Are there any more?”
“Well, I suppose I could tell you about the time that Collin and his friends warmed the Heart of Glorm, a bit scary for bed maybe, but I think you’re old eno-“
“Tip told me that one too. And the one about the Seers of the Downwood and Ditty and Jakobe and all the rest. And one about pirates, but I think he made that one up himself. Aren’t there any more?”
Daz stroked his whiskers thoughtfully. “Well, I suppose I could tell you about the time when Collin and his companions went into a deep dark cave, filled with monsters, a cursed ring and- Oh but you wouldn’t be interested in that.”
Tip’s ear perked up, he hadn’t heard this one before either. “Well I am, I mean, we are.”
“Tell us!” Squealed Elda.
“Allright. Settle down and I’ll tell you the tale of Prince Collin and
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
The Mice of Moria

Chapter Objectives: Escape the Cave
Victory Condition: Escape the Cave by leaving the Deeper Dark tile.
Defeat Condition: If the hourglass reaches the Chapter End marker on the chapter track before the mice have escaped, or if all mice are captured at the same time, the mice are defeated.

Chapter Setup:
Chapter End: Place the Chapter End marker on Page 9 of the chapter track. (Author's note: For a harder game, place it on Page 8 instead)
Party Setup: This chapter uses 6 mice. Select Collin, Nez, Ansel, Lily, Maginos and Filch.
Encounter Deck Setup: The encounter deck is not used in this chapter.

Room Tile Setup:

Tadpool-------Lair
-------------------ll
-------------Tunnel Entrance---- Kitchen Tunnel ----- Deeper Dark

Special Chapter Rules:

All Expansions: You will need Mice and Mystics: Sorrow and Remembrance, The Heart of Glorm, and the Downwood Tales to play this scenario.

The Cursed Ring: Add the Ring of Cat Strength to Filch’s starting equipment (in his pack). If Filch equips the ring, place a Cursed token on Filch. No effect can prevent this token from being placed, and the Cursed effect cannot be removed while Filch has the Ring of Cat Strength equipped. Once the Ring of Cat Strength is back in Filch’s pack, the cursed token may be removed like normal.

A Journey in the Dark: This chapter takes place deep underground. Ignore all flip spaces in this chapter. This entire chapter is treated as Night Fight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Room 1: The Tadpool

Story Moment: High up on the mountain-
“I thought this was a story about being underground” interjected Elda.
“Underground? Yes of course. We’re getting there. Now As I was saying, high up on the mountain-“
Filch was stumbling around, it was cold and his tail felt numb in the snow. He could barely see in the blizzard. He didn’t know how Maginos could bear it, out in front as he was.
“Maginos! We must turn back!” Cried Collin.
“No!”
“If we can nae pass over, we can go under!” suggested Nez. “The mice of Moria will give us a grand welcome!”
Ansel looked sympathetically at Filch, who seemed to be having the worst of it, with that cursed ring that he had picked up. “I think… Filch ought to decide.”
“Me?” Asked Filch. They didn’t usually trust him to make these sorts of decisions. But he knew he was cold and his furry little feet were frozen. “We will go through the mines!”
But no sooner did they get down there than they found the door locked in front of them, Maginos was trying to figure out the password, but so far it was stuck fast. “Just my luck” muttered filch, skipping a stone into the dark waters of the underground pool.

Setup: Place Collin, Lily, Nez, Maginos, and Ansel on a space that touches the west exit. Place Filch on any space adjacent to the flip space. Place a Cave Centipede in the Water Space (flip space).

Special Rule: The Watcher in the Water: When dealing cards on the initiative track, add the Cave Centipede and both of the Frenzied Crawler cards. Treat the Watcher in the Water as a Boss minion with 3 initiative cards. The Watcher in the Water’s first initiative card gains Ambush.

The Doors of Durin: The exit is locked and cannot be explored normally. As an action, a mouse adjacent to the exit space may roll dice equal to its lore. Count the number of * symbols rolled and place that many counters on the door. Once 5 counters have been placed, the door opens. Once the door is open, if Filch is NOT in a water tile, the mice may explore this exit even if there are still minions on this tile.

Surge: Move Filch into a water space adjacent to the Cave Centipede and place a Stun marker on Filch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Room 2: The Lair

Special Setup: There are no minions placed on this tile, and no encounter card is drawn.
Special Search (whole tile): Rest Spot
Special Search (table) : the Tinkerer’s Treasure

Special Rule: A Brief Reprieve. Mice may not use the explore action to leave this tile until each mouse has taken 1 turn and the tile is clear of minions.

Story Moment: After each mouse has taken 1 turn, choose a player to read the following aloud:

It was in that chamber they discovered what had happened to the mice of Moria. The rats had descended on them in droves, and it appeared that here, the valiant mice had made their final stand.
Nez choked back a tear. “Those brave mice…”
“But the rats were too many…” Ansel finished, and Nez nodded sadly. Just then Lily’s ears perked up, she had heard something coming, and then everyone heard it, a lot of somethings coming fast. As they took up defensive positions Collin got a glimpse of a huge dark shape and groaned “They have a big mole.”

After each mouse has taken 1 turn, add 1 molox and 4 rat warriors to the tile on the spaces in front of the South exit, or adjacent spaces, or the nearest possible spaces if they will not fit. Add 2 Firebelly newts to the minion entry space on the ledge in the South East corner.

Surge: 3 rat warriors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Room 3: The Tunnel Entrance

Special Setup: 4 rats, 4 firebelly newts are placed normally.
Special Search (whole tile): Scatter card.
Surge: 2 rats and 1 firebelly newt
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Room 4: Kitchen Tunnels

Mousetraps
Special Setup: 6 rats, 2 firebelly newts
Special Search (whole tile): Fungus Bits
Surge: 3 rats, 2 firebelly newts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Room 5: Deeper Dark

Setup: 4 firebelly newts in the North East corner, 1 Elite rat in the NorthWest corner, 1 Elite Rat in the SouthWest corner.

Special Search: Bridge space: Scroll of Invoke Cheddar Golem.

Special Rule: The Bridge of Doom. If one mouse is on the Bridge space and all other mice are adjacent to the North exit, the mice may explore even if there are minions on this tile. The mouse on the bridge is CAPTURED (move the hourglass marker up one page), if this does not cause the mice to lose, the mice have won the scenario.

Story Moment: When the mice enter this tile, choose a player to read the following aloud:
The rats seemed endless, they fought and ran, ran and fought, constantly through the tunnels. Maginos may have been the oldest of them all, but he pressed them onward faster and faster, he knew there was something just behind them, some evil they did not want to face. Arrows flew past them as rats with bows attacked from afar. Lily returned fire, but for every rat she dropped, there seemed to be more coming to take their place. “To the bridge!” Cried Maginos, gesturing just ahead. They were almost out.

Surge: Shadow and Flame
Place Skorch on the West exit (this is not a normal minion entry space). Push figures that occupy this space to adjacent spaces if necessary. In addition to Scorch’s initiative card, add both frenzied crawler initiative cards to the initiative track. Treat Shadow and Flame as a boss minion with 3 initiative cards and ambush its first card. Treat each Frenzied Crawler initiative card as if it had 1 additional hit point. The Skorch initiative card cannot take damage.

As Daz finished his story he glanced down at the two mouselings. Tip was fast asleep and snoring gently, but Elda was looking up at him with eyes as big as dinner plates.
“That didn’t really happen though, with Maginos at the end and everything?” Elda asked. “It couldn’t have happened that way.”
“Maybe some other time I’ll tell you the rest of the story. Goodnight Elda.”
Elda hid under the covers. “Goodnight.”
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sorg UR
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, Mice and Mystics and Lord of the Rings! What a neat combo.
Please tell me you will send those mice to Arkham, too! An epic showdown against the Cats of Ulthar in the style of the Mouse Guard comics...
And to the Vanderbilt mansion of Mansions of Madness (2nd edition)! Occult mouse investigators vs. cosmic horrors and evil cultists... (Maybe the map tiles could be used as well.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Wonderful!

Do you have this text in a .doc or .pdf? For easiness of use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do, I wasn't sure how to share it in that format though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
badge
Working on Perdition's Mouth game content
mbmbmbmbmb
Post it in the files and mention the link here. The process is pretty straightforward. You upload the file and write what it is. There are general guidelines what should be filled. Then someone from BGG checks you do not publish viruses or other bad stuff and if they find it OK, they make your file public. When it is done, you can update your first post so people have direct link to the file itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kilo Force
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
I play with Red
badge
I play with Red
mbmbmbmbmb
Bedtime For Edla.docx

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Downloaded! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I may do the battle along the anduin next, I want to but I have a lot of demands on my time. I hadn't thought of taking the custom scenario outside of LotR though (no lovecraft, etc).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dug fromthearth
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I have downloaded this to try after we finish the first campaign. It looks fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
I downloaded and read this. It sounds like fun. I especially like the innovative way of making new super-strong minions using initiative cards of multiple old ones, but has anyone play-tested this? It sounds like a killer even with six mice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'd love to hear experiences. I have had relatively little feedback on the scenario outside of my own personal runs with IRL friends, so a relatively small sample size. Lots of people have said it looked interesting or that they were going to play it, but I havent seen many after action reports.

All I can say is that I like it a lot myself, but I am occasionally still tweaking things when I play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
I’m looking forward to playing this with my group and we’ll let you know how it goes. I have a few questions:

1. Must Filch keep the ring (seems truest to the story if that’s required)?

2. Is guessing at the Doors of Durin an action? Seems like it should be.

3. Is it intended that you have to start in the rushing water as you enter Deeper Dark? (If the arrows on the boards point “up” on the layout, that is how they connect. Maybe that’s a convention in all M&M scenarios but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it spelled out.)

4. By North, do you mean the direction of the arrows on the boards? (Again, maybe that’s a convention I just haven’t noticed.)

Thanks for your assistance if I’m being a little pedantic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
Quote:
1. Must Filch keep the ring (seems truest to the story if that’s required)?

Yes, the idea was that he has to keep it and cant trade it away (he isn't forced to put it on if he doesnt want to). I suppose I should have spelled that out more explicitly.

Quote:

2. Is guessing at the Doors of Durin an action? Seems like it should be.

Yes it is. I'm pretty sure that actually is in the scenario text.

Quote:

3. Is it intended that you have to start in the rushing water as you enter Deeper Dark? (If the arrows on the boards point “up” on the layout, that is how they connect. Maybe that’s a convention in all M&M scenarios but I don’t think I’ve ever seen it spelled out.)

They do indeed. The arrows point "up" in all scenarios, that holds true for this one as well. Mice do start in a rushing water space when the enter the Deeper Dark. To me, it represents the crumbling rocks and rickety infrastructure in the area being particularly treacherous for climbing on. If you dislike the idea of water on this tile, feel free to treat them as normal spaces.

Quote:

4. By North, do you mean the direction of the arrows on the boards? (Again, maybe that’s a convention I just haven’t noticed.)

That was the intent, yes. If you draw a compass rose on the tile, "north" would be in the direction of the "top" of the map, that is to say, "north" is where the arrow points towards. (side note, I may have made a mistake on the first tile, I believe I said the "west" exit is locked, but it should be the east exit! Regardless, it is the only exit to this tile in this scenario.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
I'd love to hear experiences.

I still don't own the Downwood Tales expansion (is scheduled for the end of this year in my country!), and wanted to play this scenario as you designed it.

If you can come up with a variation that doesn't need the DT tiles, enemies and rules (like the Night Fight, which I suppouse is a new rule from DT), then I'll absoluteley play it. Right now, as I don't know how some enemies/places/rules are suppoused to behave, I don't want to spoil the fun.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
I wasn't aware DT wasn't out in other countries, it's been out a couple of years in the US, I wonder what is taking them so long!

I sympathize but unfortunately, it would be very difficult to come up with a variant of the scenario that doesn't use the DT expansion, particularly the tiles and enemies. Even if I was able to, I think it would lose something and wouldn't be as fun.

On the plus side, you're in for a lot of entertainment when DT does come in, I am a big fan of the expansion in general, and I hope you play this scenario when you can and come back and share what you thought!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Falenthal Greenleaf
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
awp832 wrote:
unfortunately, it would be very difficult to come up with a variant of the scenario that doesn't use the DT expansion,

That's what I thought and, as I didn't want to spoil my fun with it, I prefered to keep the .doc in my Mice & Mystics folder for now.

As a LotR fan, be sure I'll play it to the full once DT comes out in Spain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
Wow, what a battle. We played and lost in the next-to-last tile, overwhelmed by cheese on the wheel plus a couple mice getting captured. But it’s interesting – “epic” to use an overworked word. I think you got the assignment of mice just right for the fellowship:

Maginos for Gandalf
Ansel for Aragorn
Collin for Boromir
Nez for Gimli (bit of a stretch)
Lily for Legolas
Filch for Frodo

The other three hobbits aren’t represented but they don’t make a big difference to the battle dynamics anyway.

We’re going to try again, with slightly better starting abilities for some of the mice. I also made an executive decision that on the next try each mouse will start with two cheese, representing provisions they were carrying on their journey.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Pogatshnik
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmb
thanks for sharing!

Starting ability picks are critical (So is your pick of gear for the Tinkerer's Treasure). With no Tilda character for healing, and a ton of enemies around, this scenario makes it very likely that a mouse will be Captured. I like to pick up First Aid for this reason (usually on Nez) but even so you can likely expect some captures anyway!

Try to find the Scatter! card in the tunnel Entrance and use it either in the Kitchen Tunnels or Tunnel Entrance, if you're in a bind!

It can be helpful to Surge in the Kitchen Tunnels and then scatter out, that way you have maximum time before Shadow and Flame shows up in the Deeper Dark.

Good luck with your next attempt!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B.
msg tools
We got all the special searches and found Scatter just before someone got captured, making it impossible to use it when we most needed it. Things snowballed from there. But I think it was partly just bad luck. Cheese seemed to be coming up a lot more often than one in every six minion dice rolls. Thanks for making a fun scenario. I’m looking forward to trying it again.

John

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.