Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Josh Rylander
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
The Master Thief states you can take your taxes from another player's vault. If they don't have enough in their vault to cover the taxes you should get, would you get the rest from the supply or not receive the full amount?

Normally, you would never get less than the amount of tax that you're supposed to, so it makes sense to cover the difference from the supply, but I could see the argument that since your stealing from someone else it's balanced out by them needing to have that amount. Then again it's already supposed to be balanced out by not being able to do it unless you can give back an enmity token.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given that it's a "can take from..." I would say you don't get the extra from the supply, you have to take it from one place. If they don't have enough money, then don't take from them and save the enmity token.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think Paul has it about right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know... technically it says:
When you take the tax action, you may take the gold from any opponent's vault you are At War With. If you do, return one of their enmity tokens.

With the way that's worded (in the singular)
i.e., "the gold," that does seems to imply that it's all or nothing.

BUT! It also could be read to imply that you take "the gold" (i.e., all of it) from that opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
razordaze wrote:
You know... technically it says:
When you take the tax action, you may take the gold from any opponent's vault you are At War With. If you do, return one of their enmity tokens.

With the way that's worded (in the singular)
i.e., "the gold," that does seems to imply that it's all or nothing.

BUT! It also could be read to imply that you take "the gold" (i.e., all of it) from that opponent.

It could ... but it seems clear (to me, at least) that the only modification being made to the tax action is the source of the gold, not the amount of the gold. I think that they would have used a phrase such as "all of the gold in your opponent's treasury".

As a common sense supporting argument, consider that a province raid nets you half of the opponent's gold. It also risks damage to or destruction of your ship, and costs several actions to position your ships and quite a considerable chunk of enmity. Why should this advisor, with a single no-risk tax action and one "free" enmity, net you more than a modest amount?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but frankly that would be ridiculous

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Liddle
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
As a common sense supporting argument, consider that a province raid nets you half of the opponent's gold. It also risks damage to or destruction of your ship, and costs several actions to position your ships and quite a considerable chunk of enmity. Why should this advisor, with a single no-risk tax action and one "free" enmity, net you more than a modest amount?

The Master Thief's offensive ability is always retaliatory, doesn't grant glory, and it's thematically sensible that a sneaky, underhanded Master Thief would have an easier time of depleting a treasury than an obvious, guns-blazing all-out attack... but I agree, it's silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CD Harris
United States
Louisville
KY
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:

Agreed. It never occurred to me to read that card as saying anything other than 'take the gold you are entitled to by the Tax action from an opponent.' Could it be clearer? Sure. But absent express intent, I err on the side of not reading a broader exception to the rules than necessary into the text of a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Kowalczyk
Poland
flag msg tools
I want to revive this old thread.
I disagree with the previous statements.
In my opinion Master Thief is the "Master", so he can steal ALL the money from the opponent.
Situation is quite rare. You must have opponents enmity and this opponent must do nothing to prevent this (i.e. spend money, hire that advisor).
(Usually such theft will be the revenge for being previosly raided)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
j n
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
johnny_b_goode wrote:
I want to revive this old thread.
I disagree with the previous statements.
In my opinion Master Thief is the "Master", so he can steal ALL the money from the opponent.
Situation is quite rare. You must have opponents enmity and this opponent must do nothing to prevent this (i.e. spend money, hire that advisor).
(Usually such theft will be the revenge for being previosly raided)

In some campaigns it would be rare and based on revenge for a raid. In others it would happen multiple games in a row before the robbed player even gets a turn to spend their cash, due to enmity given out before the game even starts.

The advisor is really cheap and already takes at least 5 gold, possibly more with other modifiers. There's no need to make it even harsher.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomasz Virco
Poland
Wrocław
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question:
The Master Thief

I do not have enmity tokens but I have enmity sticked to my province
Am I at war?
If so, Can I use Master thief special ability?
In what cost? zero or I have to unstick one of ths or maybe I have to give mine?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Willott
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are not At War. It must be a token in your "At War With" section to use the ability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.