3 Posts

The Fires of Midway» Forums » General

Subject: Fires of Midway Foam Core Insert rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I got sick of the plastic bag counters and not really having a nice way to stack the cards in the box so I decided to make an insert. I have included a labeled pic to show dimensions of everything. I used Elmers glue and stick pins to help keep the pieces together until the glue dried. In the past I've used a glue gun and decided it was too messy and leaves little room for error.

I used 5mm foam core, labeled in white on pic, and matte board (about 1mm thick) for the bases, labeled black on pic. Foam core and the matte board can be found at any craft store like Hobby Lobby or Michaels. My reason for the matte board is in future inserts I make if I have to build multiple levels for a game, the extra 4mm helps for vertical room. Using matte board on this insert was a test to see how it holds up versus using a foam core bottom. I am happy with the how the matte board came out and don't foresee durability issues down the road.

If you have questions or feedback, let me know. Thanks!

***The vertical dimension of 39mm does include space for the solo add-on. I used 12pt matte paper for printing the solo boards which is a thicker card stock.

***Listed dimensions on the pics are inside measurements.

***Pockets allow for sleeved cards. Sleeves used are 63.5 x 88.

Pieces List (all in mm):

Matte Board bases
Main Base - 289 x 224
Mini Base - 178 x 117

Letter-labeled Parts - in parenthesis is how many you need to make

Main Section
A - (2) 289 x 39
B - (3) 214 x 39
C - (4) 94 x 39 (2 are notched for easier card access. I did not leave notching dimensions since we all have different size fingers.)

Mini Section
D - (5) 107 x 27
E - (2) 178 x 27
F - (1) 40 x 27 (Splits the section in half. The 40mm label is for pocket width)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Reid
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's really nice! I haven't tried making an insert before, but I play TFoM a lot and this would really help organize and speed up the set up.

Thanks for sharing!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Lillibridge
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You're welcome Jack! Having this insert actually encourages more play because setup/breakdown time is shorter.

My suggestion with inserts, use Elmer's glue and stick pins, takes longer but much cleaner results. I used hot glue in the beginning, too messy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.