Spain
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria
Gran Canaria- Canary Islands
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello,
I am going through the rules and there is a couple of things I did not understand:

10.5 Step C: US Artillery Fire.

What does it mean including gunboats during the Filipino player phase only ? I dont see any logic in this sentence and why precisely in the Filipino phase , can not be done in the US player phase?

12 Jungle Warfare.

I dont understand very well the function of Jungle warfare boxes. What are the advantages-benefits for the Filipinos to place units in the Jungle boxes, and what are the advantages for the US to place units in the Jungle ?

Thanks for your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Jose,

10.5 Step C: US Artillery Fire: US artillery (including gunboats during the Filipino player phase) may fire. THIS REFERS TO THE US ARTILLERY (AND GUNBOATS ARE CONSIDERED FLOATING ARTILLERY) FIRING BEFORE COMBAT WHETHER DURING THE US COMBAT PHASE OR THE FILIPINO COMBAT PHASE.

12 Jungle Warfare: What are the advantages-benefits for the Filipinos to place units in the Jungle boxes, and what are the advantages for the US to place units in the Jungle? THIS GIVE THE WAR A NEW DIMENSION. SMALL GROUPS OF MEN ON BOTH SIDES ARE ABLE TO MOVE ABOUT LUZON UNDETECTED AND APPEAR UNEXPECTEDLY WHERE THEY ARE LEAST WANTED. US TROOPS WHO TRAINED IS THIS TYPE OF WARFARE TOOK TO THE JUNGLE TO COMBAT SUCH SUPRISES.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the quick answer John !!
Now I see clear the advantages of using the Jungle Warfare boxes and that it is a very clever and intelligent mechanism to similate fighting in the jungle.

On the other hand I am still confused with gunboats fire.

I read for example that in sequence of play US Player phase 5.d , all gunboats may shell enemy units. Perfect.

And then again during combat, 10.2.C US Artillery fire ( gunboats are sea-borne artillery) .
And then again during combat in the Filipino player phase 6.b ??

How many times may the same gunboat actually fire during one turn ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Jose,

I'm sorry if the references are unclear. Look at it this way as this was my intention. U.S. artillery fires at the beginning of any combat, whether U.S. initiated (gunboats included) or Filipino initiated (Gunboats not included). During the U.S. turn therefore, gunboats fire at the beginning of any combat, along with any accompanying U.S.artillery, in which they are involved. During the Filipino turn the U.S. artillery responds at the beginning of any combat in which it is engaged, even if engaged several times. At the same time, gunboats cannot be fired upon by Filipino units so during the Filipino combat turn gunboats would not fire.

I hope that helps to clear things up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
José Antonio Rivero
Spain
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the explanation John.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Poniske
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to help.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitchell Land
United States
Ballwin
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poniske wrote:
Jose,

I'm sorry if the references are unclear. Look at it this way as this was my intention. U.S. artillery fires at the beginning of any combat, whether U.S. initiated (gunboats included) or Filipino initiated (Gunboats not included). During the U.S. turn therefore, gunboats fire at the beginning of any combat, along with any accompanying U.S.artillery, in which they are involved. During the Filipino turn the U.S. artillery responds at the beginning of any combat in which it is engaged, even if engaged several times. At the same time, gunboats cannot be fired upon by Filipino units so during the Filipino combat turn gunboats would not fire.

I hope that helps to clear things up.

I'm confused by this answer.

9.1 3rd bullet says that Gunboats only fire as artillery in the Filipino Combat Phase. This contradicts the above statement.

Here's my understanding:

1. Gunboats fire during the US Operations Phase in Step 5d

2. Gunboats do NOT fire as artillery in the US Combat Phase Step C. [per 9.1]

3. Gunboats DO fire as artillery in the Filipino Combat Phase Step C. [per 9.1]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.