United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
Lv 30 Lawful/Evil Human Dungeon Master
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
The small paragraph at the top of page 17 doesn't fully describe how the red dice are used.

Mostly we wanted to know when they are purchased, and who has priority when they are, since it's quite easy to run them out and there was heavy competition for them in the last game when money isn't that useful. I'd guess that they are purchased during your 'hero phase' when you spend money/xp to upgrade? Is there meant to be a limit to how many you can buy? There is clearly a limit of 2 red dice per entry portal but in a four player game that theoretically means that the first player could buy a lot of them if that was the only limit.

Additional, I wanted to clarify the 'support Lord Morth by paying him 3 gold coins' phrase. We took this to mean that the money is just lost, but it could very easily be read that those 3 coins must go to the current holder of the Lord Morth token, since the wording isn't consistent.

Lastly, some of the cards have the red die symbol on them, I couldn't find any reference to this in the rulebook, what does this mean?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaud Dejardin
France
Ferrère-La-Grande
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Darke wrote:

Lastly, some of the cards have the red die symbol on them, I couldn't find any reference to this in the rulebook, what does this mean?

That's for the cooperative game.
You draw cards during some turns, and one red dice means a "boss" enters the game.

Can't help you with the rest of the question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Archange227 wrote:
Darke wrote:

That's for the cooperative game.
You draw cards during some turns, and one red dice means a "boss" enters the game.

Can't help you with the rest of the question.

Aha, never read the coop rules that's why I didn't spot that! Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Lehn
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello Phil!

First of all let me apologize for the unclear spots of the rulebook; PoM is our first game, and we tried our best to have every possible situation in the book, but it's clear that we missed a few important clarifications...

Allow me to help you with your rule doubts:

Regarding the red dice, you are free to acquire them at any time of the game. although in our experience the most "harmful" time to buy them is at the final phase, the enemy phase. This way they will enter the map and start moving in that same phase.
Initially, we didn't feel the need to limit the quantity of red dice each player can buy, in our playtesting sessions we found that the limit of 2 die per route was enough... but after reading your comments, I'm guessing our testers didn't play aggresively enough!
Thinking about it, and keeping in mind that you can buy the dice freely at any time of the game, I would suggest that each player cannot buy more than 2 dice per wave. This way, all 4 players will have the possibility of buying the same ammount of dice. The limit of no more than 2 red dice per route would still apply and we would add the second limit of not more than 2 dice/player each wave.

As for the sentence "support Lord Morth by paying him 3 gold coins", it was only meant to give the game some theme, but it may be phrased in a confusing way. You interpreted it correctly, the money is lost after you pay to acquire red dice.

Regarding your final question, Thibaud Dejardin aswered you perfectly, so I believe there is no need for any further explanation.

We are currently working in a second edition of the game, and we will certainly keep all your feedback and suggestions in mind to improve the game.

Let me know if you have any other doubt, it'll be my pleasure to help you!

Buster Lehn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Davies
United Kingdom
Winchmore Hill
London
flag msg tools
badge
In Toruk's name!
mb
Buster,

Thanks for the reply, having the purchase prior to the enemy movement phase makes sense actually, I'd suggest an addition to the turn order that went round the table once everyone has done their hero phase to allow everyone to buy red dice before the enemies moves, seems like it would allow for maximum meanness

We found towards the last 3-5 rounds of the game that money had become useless, we all had heroes on close to max level and spending it to damage the other players felt a lot more beneficial than buying the 4th or 5th hero. But we're an aggressive bunch so that's probably our mean side showing!

Really liked the game, thanks for making it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buster Lehn
Spain
Madrid
Madrid
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That sounds like a great idea!
I think that adding a purchase phase before the enemy movement might give some order to the red dice in the game, and add some nice, fun meanness for everyone.

As you comment, it's very common that during the last few turns, you use your money to hurt others rather than evolving your team, so this could be a clear way to give an "exit" to that extra cash.

Back in the day we fiddled with the idea of buying cards too. We discarded it as it was a little too much, but I see you guys like playing hard, so just saying...

And thank you for playing Portal of Morth!!
I'm so glad you are enjoying it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.