Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

New Angeles» Forums » General

Subject: I already own archipelago. Is this different enough to warrant getting? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Just like the title says are these two games different enough to own both?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm so confused by this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
If this game is anything like Archipelago, I want it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris P
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
From what I know from reading the rules, absolutely.

Comparisons between this and Archipelago are nothing to do with the style of the games, which are radically different - 4X/euro vs negotiation/deception. The similarity comes from the existence of a group loss condition, and the necessity of a certain level of co-operation to avoid it (which is not unique to Archipelago). Beyond that they are very different games
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I already own space Hulk and I bought this.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark63 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thinking of buying this but I already own a half-eaten box of Ritz crackers.

Please advise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Louis Bonini
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trilamb wrote:
Dark63 wrote:

Hope that helps.

Thinking of buying this but I already own a half-eaten box of Ritz crackers.

Please advise.

Eat the crackers before they go bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Special snowflake syndrome has invaded the board game community. All board games are special. All board games are unique. No board games warrant comparison.

I don't know how anyone could draw a comparison of two games that have a hidden traitor mechanic that can sometimes be revealed by a player's selfishness or downright refusal to assist in the public good. I mean, it's not like both games feature a population that could explode in unrest if certain conditions are not met by the shared resources of the collective. It's not as if both games require the player to strike deals with his competitors and manipulate them into thinking your doing something good for the island (SORRY, I meant to say city!).

Given that the two games share a lot of similarity, ask yourself this: Do you find yourself playing a semi-cooperative trading game like Archipelago so much that you want a different game that provides a similar feeling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Silva
Mexico
Estado de Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I already have SpaceHulk, But never open, But I loveit!

I have played Archipelago, and I hate it!.

I know that this game will be awesome!, I will buy it and play it

Hope it helps

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Rubinstein

Long Beach
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
m0rgana wrote:
Comparisons between this and Archipelago are nothing to do with the style of the games, which are radically different ... The similarity comes from the existence of a group loss condition, and the necessity of a certain level of co-operation to avoid it...

Those are actually pretty significant similarities regarding "styles of game."

To the OP. If you like competitive games which require an element of cooperation, like Archipelago, you'll probably like this. Yes, they share similarities, but not so much that one makes the other redundant. But then again, I don't think these types of games very proliferated within the hobby.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy Babel
United States
Guymon
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
m0rgana wrote:

Comparisons between this and Archipelago are nothing to do with the style of the games, which are radically different - 4X/euro vs negotiation/deception. The similarity comes from the existence of a group loss condition, and the necessity of a certain level of co-operation to avoid it (which is not unique to Archipelago). Beyond that they are very different games

Hey I wanna say thank you for actually answering the question instead of being an asshat that echos other asshats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Robinson
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BillyBabel wrote:
m0rgana wrote:

Hey I wanna say thank you for actually answering the question instead of being an asshat that echos other asshats.

Chill out, friend. Some of us just having some fun. No one is making fun of you. Welcome to BGG, sometimes we are silly, but we come in peace.

Also New Angeles has one plus over Archipelago: so much less uncomfortable colonial racism! (unless robot slavery bums you out).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Big Head Zach
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
trilamb wrote:
Also New Angeles has one plus over Archipelago: so much less uncomfortable colonial racism! (unless robot slavery bums you out).

New Angeles (and the Android universe in general) definitely has some things to say about corporatism, human rights, security vs freedom, community vs individuality, ethics in genetic research, and the nature of sentience. So many dark threads to pull, but compared to Archipelago, they're all fictional and in the future, so easier to explore.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Smothers
msg tools
They really are not much alike at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.