Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Regroup phase, do both attackers and defenders Reset to Ready any of their artillery that was used? I assumed "yes," but wanted clarification.

USA Combat rules state "USA Armies ... may use WA Heavy Artillery units and the Tank unit if they are not already Spent from combat on the WA turn."
- Aren't WA Heavy Artillery units automatically Reset after the WA turn, and hence always available for USA use?
- Can the USA move WA artillery during its turn?
- If the USA does attack with WA Heavy Artillery, is it automatically Reset during the USA Regroup Phase?
- Can the USA pay to Refit the Tank unit during its Production Phase, whether the USA used it or if the unit was left Spent after the WA turn?

It's a lot of questions at once, but I would appreciate any clarifications. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Gómez Relloso
Spain
Dobro (Los Altos)
Burgos
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

I am sure that you will receive official clarification, but I am quite sure that during the Regroup Phase only the active faction's artillery units are reset to "Ready" status (that is, only the attacking units).

Western Allies artillery units are NOT reset in the USA/Eastern Allies Faction Sequence Phase. They cannot be moved in the USA/Eastern Allies turn. Western Allies Tank units cannot be refit with USA Production Points (unless they are transferred to Western Allies).

That is what I understand reding the rules. Let's see if an official clarification confirms this.

David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
mbmbmb
shilton wrote:
During the Regroup phase, do both attackers and defenders Reset to Ready any of their artillery that was used? I assumed "yes," but wanted clarification.

I'll chime in here along with David...

Recall that an artillery unit engaging in counter-battery fire is handled differently than one that is engaging in an attack. The latter is always reset during the its own active faction's regroup phase.

However, the artillery unit engaging in counter-battery fire is, by definition, not firing during its own faction's turn. Thus, it is not reset during the regroup phase purely because it is firing as the non-active player and only the active player regroups his artillery units.

shilton wrote:
USA Combat rules state "USA Armies ... may use WA Heavy Artillery units and the Tank unit if they are not already Spent from combat on the WA turn."
- Aren't WA Heavy Artillery units automatically Reset after the WA turn, and hence always available for USA use?

Yes, WA artillery units do automatically reset at the end of the WA turn. However, if during a subsequent opposing faction's turn the same WA artillery units engaged in counter-battery fire (i.e., on the defensive), they would not be reset during the active opposing player's regroup phase and, thus, not be available for use by the USA when its turn rolled around.

See my explanation above for more details. This stuff might have escaped your notice (it certainly did mine) if you haven't played too many times and/or not drawn sufficient technology cards to acquire counter-battery fire. Once you do, it all makes sense. Conversely, I hope I'm making sense, as I so often don't.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am glad I asked, and your interpretations of the rules make a lot of sense to me. It did strike me that Heavy Artillery was getting quite a lot of use under my interpretation of the rules once the Counter Battery technology kicked in, as it firing both offensively and defensively each season.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk Uhlmann
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
The responses above pretty much have it right.

Artillery is reset during the regroup phase of the faction to which it belongs. So anytime an artillery unit is used for counter-battery, it will be unavailable for subsequent offensive action as it won't be reset until the end of that faction's turn (the regroup phase).

Since the WA artillery will be reset at the end of the WA turn and the Eastern Allies/USA take their turn next, WA artillery would be available but the Tank unit (the second part of the rule referenced above) might still be spent if it wasn't refit during the WA turn.

Note that if the USA uses a WA artillery to attack, it won't be reset until the end of the WA turn, so it wouldn't be available for attacks during the WA turn. Basically, anytime an artillery unit is used for defense (counter-battery), it will not be available for an attack during that faction's next turn since it won't be reset until the end of their turn.

David already answered these above, but for completeness, here are the specific answers to the original questions:

YES - SINCE THE USA TAKES THEIR TURN IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWING THE WA.

- Can the USA move WA artillery during its turn?

NO

- If the USA does attack with WA Heavy Artillery, is it automatically Reset during the USA Regroup Phase?

NO

- Can the USA pay to Refit the Tank unit during its Production Phase, whether the USA used it or if the unit was left Spent after the WA turn?

NO

Kirk
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Hilton
United States
Sarasota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks so much for all your help.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.