BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Coming from MTG years ago... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I want to teach my nephew a similar game without it having to be collectible. I'm looking at Ashes and a couple more Phoenixborn or Mage Wars Academy and the two other expansion sets for it. Which would you guys recommend. My nephew is 11 and can handle learning things relatively easy when it comes to games. Thanks guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Moon Legends or Dominion might be good choices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The ones you are looking at and Seasons. Benefit to that is there are only two expansions versus the typical money sink holes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Your gut instinct was spot on. Mage Wars is perfect. He will love it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dejun King
United States
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good MTG feel card game in my opinion would be Star Relams. Set up combos, build your deck, battle your opponent, all the joys of MTG without the price.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I will not rest until Biblios is in the Top 100. - Steve Oksienik
United States
Howell
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Well I been watchin' while you been coughin, I've been drinking life while you've been nauseous, and so I drink to health while you kill yourself and I got just one thing that I can offer... Go on and save yourself and take it out on me
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are a reformed Magic player, as I am, then Ashes would be great. Or Summoner Wars. Blue Moon is much too simplistic. Seasons has a cool drafting thing going on.

Mage Wars does sound like the best bet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Epic Card Game is the game you are looking for. Very similar to Magic and very cheap. It is not easy to learn, but very deep, rewarding and replayable.

About the other mentioned games: Dominion and Star Realms are great, too, but differ quite a bit from Magic. Mage Wars can be fun, but it takes very long and is very complex. Summoner Wars is "Mage Wars Light", a lot more accessible and fun, too. I would suggest it over Mage Wars.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Gallo
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Just to be clear I'm talking about Mage Wars Academy. The more streamlined game that was released last year. Not the original game. Feels more like a magic style card game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stormseeker75 wrote:
If you are a reformed Magic player, as I am, then Ashes would be great. Or Summoner Wars. Blue Moon is much too simplistic. Seasons has a cool drafting thing going on.

Mage Wars does sound like the best bet.

Why do you think Blue Moon is "too simplistic" ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C B
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
flying
badge
dutchman
mbmbmbmbmb
Allegiance: A Realm Divided is a card fighting game with a very similar play style to MTG which uses common card decks and each player is a unique hero. I love it, for me Allegiance is the best card fighting game on the market. Last I knew, Underground Games still had some stock remaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt P
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hero Realms

Quick to play and even quicker to set up. Game is a ton of fun and you can even buy character packs to give each player different start decks.

The combination of the different types of cards reminds me a lot of combo magic decks. You can do things like buy Blue/White cards to focus on generating health and controlling your opponents hands etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
United States
Boulder
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage Wars is great, a good reccomendation.

I'd say the best of all possible games for MTG-like game that offers the most depth, balance, and enriching gameplay over time is Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set, watch Tom Vasel's review of it, he actually replaced his mtg collection with Codex, he liked into better!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fenderbass124 wrote:
I want to teach my nephew a similar game without it having to be collectible. I'm looking at Ashes and a couple more Phoenixborn or Mage Wars Academy and the two other expansion sets for it. Which would you guys recommend. My nephew is 11 and can handle learning things relatively easy when it comes to games. Thanks guys.

Academy is fine, it doesn't feel like Magic, but it's a good card game with a similar theme.

Ashes is excellent, also doesn't feel like Magic.

Codex is excellent, and doesn't feel like Magic.

You're not going to find a game that feels like Magic, but there are a whole bunch of really great 2 player competitive card games out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Mage wars is definetely good. You may also want to look at epic card game. It's basically a magic rip off without the collectible part, which makes it good in my opinion. Lord of the rings the card game is also good with a slightly different feel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
v b
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
Mage wars is definetely good. You may also want to look at epic card game. It's basically a magic rip off without the collectible part, which makes it good in my opinion. Lord of the rings the card game is also good with a slightly different feel.

I COMPLETELY disagree that Epic is a MTG ripoff. Sure it shares similar mechanisms but the feel is VERY different and requires totally different strategies and ways of thinking.
I'd definitely recommend EPIC!

Also what about Nightfall ?? That's a very unique and now inexpensive deckbuilder that's great for pvp combat!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Hello there
badge
Hello there
mbmbmbmbmb
Skrell wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

I COMPLETELY disagree that Epic is a MTG ripoff. Sure it shares similar mechanisms but the feel is VERY different and requires totally different strategies and ways of thinking.

Also what about Nightfall ?? That's a very unique and now inexpensive deckbuilder that's great for pvp combat!

I don't mean rip off in a bad way, but it was designed by former pro mtg players, and if you know how to play mtg you can pretty much play epic. Personally I think it's a positive.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
HenningK
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iridium192 wrote:
Skrell wrote:
Iridium192 wrote:

I don't mean rip off in a bad way, but it was designed by former pro mtg players, and if you know how to play mtg you can pretty much play epic. Personally I think it's a positive.

Agreed. "Rip-off" sounds negative, but Epic is indeed very close in rules and feel to Magic. Magic players can be taught Epic in two minutes, and good Magic players should also quickly become good Epic players. I don't see how Epic requires different ways of thinking.

Anyway, Epic is a fantastic game that is criminally underrated in my mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mystic Vale has a rather unique mechanism, but reminds me of MtG in parts.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corum irsei
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
You're not going to find a game that feels like Magic, but there are a whole bunch of really great 2 player competitive card games out there.
Spoken like a true fan!

Personally, I feel there's plenty of games that are _really_ similar to MtG (and often with improved mechanics) except in one regard: they don't have a card pool of about a billion different cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Mathias
United States
Hendersonville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhaelen wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Spoken like a true fan!

Personally, I feel there's plenty of games that are _really_ similar to MtG (and often with improved mechanics) except in one regard: they don't have a card pool of about a billion different cards.

I'm a former Magic player, and I still dabble with Commander from time to time, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan. I've tried every game that claims to be "like" Magic. Not a single one of them feels like Magic. I'm not saying that is good or bad.

Magic has two major problems. 1.) Distribution model, 2.) Resource management and allocation.

There are games out there that have improved on both of those aspects to varying degrees of success. But the things Magic excels at are oft copied, and rarely matched. That doesn't make those games bad, it just makes them not "like" Magic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Golden Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jmathias wrote:
jhaelen wrote:
jmathias wrote:
Spoken like a true fan!

I'm a former Magic player, and I still dabble with Commander from time to time, but I wouldn't consider myself a fan. I've tried every game that claims to be "like" Magic. Not a single one of them feels like Magic. I'm not saying that is good or bad.

Magic has two major problems. 1.) Distribution model, 2.) Resource management and allocation.

There are games out there that have improved on both of those aspects to varying degrees of success. But the things Magic excels at are oft copied, and rarely matched. That doesn't make those games bad, it just makes them not "like" Magic.

Yup, I was a competitive Magic player for YEARS and Commander is now the only way I play the game. I don't even follow the new sets and haven't cracked a pack in years. Pick up a couple of the prebuilt decks and you should be fine.

I also agree that there are MANY copycats with few that improve. Ashes is the closest to it IMO. Millennium Blades might be a fun way to show them the distribution model and competitive aspect of Magic without actually playing Magic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dutch

Indiana
msg tools
mb
Mage Wars Academy is very much underrated. I feel it's more tactical and combat driven than MtG. Yes, combat is at the core of MtG as well, but you're at the mercy of who can pull off their awesome combo 9000 the quickest with MtG. With Mage Wars Academy, you're constantly reacting to your opponents most recent action. It's a constant back and forth each round.

Star Realms is solid as well. You construct your deck as you play and I think it's better at pulling combos than Mage Wars Academy. Attack damage can be incredibly swingy at times and most games come down to 1 turn. Star Realms might be the best choice, initially, for your nephew.

It may be that Star Realms has overstayed it's welcome, but Mage Wars Academy has quickly replaced Star Realms as our go to skirmish game for me and my son. He still believes MtG is better; I'm not going to deny that but that's an entirely different discussion. I'm just not a fan of MtG for casual play as one deck will almost always overpower another. Those familiar with MtG will probably pick up Mage Wars Academy more quickly than those not familiar with it as they have a foundation to build from.

The biggest downside of Mage Wars Academy is that it's not very popular. Not that it's hard to teach, but there's plenty of explaining to do and it can be overwhelming to a new player. The same might be said for Ashes (though I haven't played it). You might find that with those two, you might be the only person he plays those games with. That's part of why MtG is so popular - not that it's necessarily a CCG, but you can't throw a stone in group of kids (11yo+) without hitting someone one that plays it. Literally everyone is playing MtG. Being incredibly accessible also really helps MtG's popularity (it's in every big-box store).

With Star Realms, you can pretty much teach it in 5 minutes. This is a big plus as it'll also make it easier for him to teach to his friends. I volunteer part of my time to work with youth and I've had several buy Star Realms after introducing it to them.

Granted, playing Mage Wars Academy has me interested in it's Big Brother - Mage Wars Arena. Rather than having one zone, there's constant movement in, well, an arena.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.