Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We played our second game yesterday, and Hunters have two wins.
Learning that Dracula does not have much chance if he's caught by well-equipped Hunters.
So have read about the run-around two weeks and then sail for one week 'cheat' that gives Dracula an easier, if suspect, Victory. But I don't even understand How it can be pulled off.

Doesn't Dracula HAVE to get to 13 Influence to win? In both our games, he could not get there. In the first, the Hunters worked hard on the Trail and the game I think was going into it's FIFTH week when they finally finished him off.
Which brings up the second question: Is there a time limit on the game? When I read people discussing the Go2Sea, they make it sound like a week later they auto-win when the 3rd Dispair token goes to the Time marker. We just can't find that it's over at that point.

Our first game was played with NO Dracula bonuses. Ughhh, that's tough.
So our second he got ONE bonus he could secretly choose.
I assume that perhaps we need to Help him out more by giving a few more of the Specialty cards.
By the way, we could not find: Are these ONE use, or can he Hide or such several times?

Anyway, if someone could explain Why the SEA strategy works, would appreciate, as we can't find a 'Timer' that says the game Ends after three weeks.......

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
Scotland
Elgin
Moray
flag msg tools
mbmb
You have missed the Fury of Dracula special ability. It's on Dracula's card, that he gets 3 influence when he places a land location card if there are 3 despair tokens on the board (IIRC, going from memory and not played the game for a while).

This does effectively place a timer on the game because getting 3 influence per move will quite quickly win the game for Dracula, even if he had little or no influence going into that week.

You can use the special power cards multiple times. Some people do house rule that they are one-use only if they feel Dracula is otherwise too difficult to beat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randal Divinski
United States
Natick
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rikolus wrote:
Doesn't Dracula HAVE to get to 13 Influence to win? In both our games, he could not get there. In the first, the Hunters worked hard on the Trail and the game I think was going into it's FIFTH week when they finally finished him off.

As mentioned, you overlooked the Fury of Dracula ability, which is on Dracula's card. Do you know WHY you overlooked it? Because it is NOT MENTIONED IN THE RULES!?! I cannot believed this, but I just skimmed through both manuals. They each have sections on "Winning the Game" that describe three ways for Dracula to advance the Influence Track. Neither mentions the "Fury of Dracula" ability at all, nor does it have its own reference entry. Unbelievable!

So you can be forgiven for missing this. In your play example above, Dracula should have earned 3 influence per location card placed starting at the beginning of Week 4, so by Week 5 would have earned 21 influence and won before the hunters found him.

P.S. The "Fury" ability is not mentioned in the reference on Despair Tokens either! [EDIT: I should have quit while I was ahead. As below, it is described but not named in this section.]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H-B-G
United Kingdom
Halesowen
West Midlands
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
randiv wrote:
Rikolus wrote:

As mentioned, you overlooked the Fury of Dracula ability, which is on Dracula's card. Do you know WHY you overlooked it? Because it is NOT MENTIONED IN THE RULES!?! I cannot believed this, but I just skimmed through both manuals. They each have sections on "Winning the Game" that describe three ways for Dracula to advance the Influence Track. Neither mentions the "Fury of Dracula" ability at all, nor does it have its own reference entry. Unbelievable!

So you can be forgiven for missing this. In your play example above, Dracula should have earned 3 influence per location card placed starting at the beginning of Week 4, so by Week 5 would have earned 21 influence and won before the hunters found him.

P.S. The "Fury" ability is not mentioned in the reference on Despair Tokens either!

The last point is not true, it is mentioned although not by name

Quote:
If all three despair tokens are on the time track when Dracula chooses a city location card, advance the inflence track by three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
RIK FONTANA
United States
St. George
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well guys, I feel like a dufus. But the entire group missed it as well.
It's funny as I read (and Re-Read) the PRIDE special ability of Dracula. But somehow we just did not read that 'other' Kinda-Important special ability on the card.
OK, thanks again for help....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.