United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Work as if you live in the early days of a better nation"
mbmbmbmbmb
I mentioned this variant a year or so ago somewhere deep in the Porfiriana forums, and I thought I should mention it here too.

Back when I was playing a lot of Porfiriana, one of our favorite ways to play the game was the keep the same deck from game to game. This provided a lovely strategic horizon to play. A player might have a good idea how many of X or Y cards are in the deck and could use those insights to inform his or her decisions. It also allowed us to get a really strong sense of each card.

Then, ever few games, we'd pull out 15 or so cards and put in 15 random new cards from the unused stack. We wouldn't know what got added or removed so it provided some of the chaos of the original game in a slightly more controlled format. In this way we slowly moved through all of Porfiriana's 200+ cards.

Now both Pamir and Renaissance have fewer cards than that, but I think it's still a worthwhile approach, especially if you have either companion expansion. Think of it like a guided tour through the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Long
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice idea - one of the features of this series of games that is so much fun is the way that the world unfolds differently and unpredictably, but it is also true that exploring one of these worlds enough to develop more of honed strategy is something that would create a different feel and challenge.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.