28 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Board Game Design » Board Game Design

Subject: Redesigning a Game. New Concept and new mechanics, but same genre? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Hi, I'm back working on my first game, and i wanted to change it all, making a new theme for it... Here you can find the original concept: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1587396/would-you-play/page...
The thing is that, back in october i started to write a novel, and the world of it fits perfectly for what i want for that game:
Background
The world is completely dark, there is no light but the light of the torches. Humans live in temples, where an immortal has provided them the life. In the novel, the characters were exiled, as in the society of the temple, crimes pay with death, and irresponsability pays with exile. Then, the characters have to survive in a world full of monsters, without knowing if there is something else besides the temple they were exiled from.
That's the premise of the novel.
Now, in one part of the novel, they manage to find a demon, and it warns them to not go to the Stone Arc. And there is where i want the game to take place!
The game
So, i want it to be a survival horror game. By now i've been thinking that the characters are going to be only scum of the society, murderers, thieves... they were exiled instead of being killed, and, in their journey they get to the stone arc, a giant stone arc in the middle of the darkness with stone stairs that descend further than where the light of the torches reach, leading to a stone maze.
Gameplay
a) Character creation: Each player would be playing as one of those characters, and they will build them in the beginning: giving them a certain amount of points for stats like anger, apathy, hatred, lust, greed, and so on... they will draft the abilities of their character.
B) Preparation for the trip: a phase in which each player can gather resources to use during the actual game in X ammount of time, while each activity takes Y amount of time. This phase is still being considered.
c) The trip: If the game has the preparation phase, then i would like to include an event deck that represents the journey from the temple to the stone arc, that could include diferent locations, combat against monsters, and so on.
d) The maze: The main mechanic of the game. Once in the Stone Arc, the characters enter down the stairs into a giant stone maze. They can explore as far as they want, and they can go back whenever they want. The problem is, the maze is full of monsters, and worst: there is where the Demons live. So, players would be exploring a maze, with random events popping out as they move.BUT, there is a tricky part i'm missing to tell you: the light of the torches will eventually go off, leaving them trapped in the darkness. So, they have to save resources if they want to live. In the novel, the fat of an animal is what fuels the torches, so they can find some of those animals in the maze maybe, kill them, and use their fat...

The only thing i really dont know is what will the goal of the game be. I was thinking that maybe, defeating the demons (somehow) will grant them favors from other demons (or maybe the defeated demon), and they (the players) can choose among the demon's favors, and one of the favors could be "Return to the temple" so players could finish the game, or get more "powerful" and keep playing, still, i havent decided yet (just came with the idea as i was typing).
Monsters
About the monsters, I dont really know which could be lurking inside the maze. In the novel there are a lot, but i dont know if they would fit in the maze, probably they wont, so I have to think about them, and the only thing i know for sure is that all of them will be nightmare material. They will have each an AI attack and AI defense deck.
The maze
The maze will be a stack of 3x3 tiles that the players would be building as they explore. And the old idea of the game included 6x6 tiles that were discovered every 6 small tiles, but i dont know if this will be used again... Each tile of the maze can trigger an event which can mess wuth each character's stats, it could be just flavor event, it can be that the characters see some glowing eyes in the distance, it could be a person in that tile... you know, anything can happen...
The Demons
About the demons, they are maybe 13, cant recall right now, and most of them will be expansions for the game. The demons will have their human form and their demon nightmarish form. While players can fight against the human form, the demom form will probably not be fightable (is that a word?). The demons would be able to possess a character according to their stats. For example, the demon of hunger could be possessing the character with the higher Gluttony.
When the players kill a monster or an animal, if they have the ability, they can take parts of the dead body to feed themselves, craft weapons, and stuff like that...

So, this is like the basic concept... what do you think?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you have a lot of things you still need to figure out. Your post is full of "I'm not sure how this will work" and "I'm not sure whether I want this to be part of the game or not."

Make some decisions about those. Playtest the results (just by yourself to begin with, using the cheapest, fastest components you can bash together) to see if the concept works.

Your concept right now is modular so you should be able to test out and tinker with each stage of the game.

Something that may help you make decisions about your game is playing other games that have aspects you want to emulate. Play them, think about what you like best about them, try and combine and remix those favourite aspects into something for your game.

Good luck; you have a lot of work ahead to bring this to fruition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
geerhead wrote:
I think you have a lot of things you still need to figure out. Your post is full of "I'm not sure how this will work" and "I'm not sure whether I want this to be part of the game or not."

Make some decisions about those. Playtest the results (just by yourself to begin with, using the cheapest, fastest components you can bash together) to see if the concept works.

Your concept right now is modular so you should be able to test out and tinker with each stage of the game.

Something that may help you make decisions about your game is playing other games that have aspects you want to emulate. Play them, think about what you like best about them, try and combine and remix those favourite aspects into something for your game.

yeah thanks, i resumed my work with this last night, so i still dont have a lot of things fleshed out

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
xchikyx wrote:
geerhead wrote:

yeah thanks, i resumed my work with this last night, so i still dont have a lot of things fleshed out

In one of the games I am designing, I had a fairly open theme. Nothing solid, it could be placed in any setting, and could be almost anything.

In my first design I played by myself, and realized that one mechanic was drawn out and tedious, so I removed half of it. On the second play through, It was still boring. So I removed it completely. While trying to bridge the gap for seamless play, I found a mechanic that worked, and almost instantly changed all the possible themes.

I know as a story teller, you want to tell the story, but sometimes game mechanics tell a different story.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
aandrews wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
geerhead wrote:

In one of the games I am designing, I had a fairly open theme. Nothing solid, it could be placed in any setting, and could be almost anything.

In my first design I played by myself, and realized that one mechanic was drawn out and tedious, so I removed half of it. On the second play through, It was still boring. So I removed it completely. While trying to bridge the gap for seamless play, I found a mechanic that worked, and almost instantly changed all the possible themes.

I know as a story teller, you want to tell the story, but sometimes game mechanics tell a different story.

so, should i build a mechanic around theme, or a theme around the mechanic?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Andrews
Canada
flag msg tools
xchikyx wrote:

I would say just do not be blinded by either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
aandrews wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
geerhead wrote:

It is kind of too late for you, as you have the theme already, and no mechanics. You are looking for good mechanics that emerge from the theme.

The setting sounds really interesting and I want to read more about it! I think what you need to decide is whether your game is going to be more of a storytelling game (arabian nights, arkham horror) or if it is more of a puzzle (ghost stories, forbidden island). I actually could see it working well ghost stories style, running around the maze having fights and restoring the lanterns to stay alive until you find all of the pieces to the key that unlocks the maze or whatever the endgame is.

I don't think it needs the journey section. Unless you go the more storytelling route, and then you could seed the event deck with the journey cards before building the maze.

Anyway, make that decision, and then continue asking questions to guide it somewhere. How long? How challenging? How often do you expect players to win/lose? How much randomness is in the game, and do players have ways to mitigate that randomness?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
saluk wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
aandrews wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
geerhead wrote:

It is kind of too late for you, as you have the theme already, and no mechanics. You are looking for good mechanics that emerge from the theme.

The setting sounds really interesting and I want to read more about it! I think what you need to decide is whether your game is going to be more of a storytelling game (arabian nights, arkham horror) or if it is more of a puzzle (ghost stories, forbidden island). I actually could see it working well ghost stories style, running around the maze having fights and restoring the lanterns to stay alive until you find all of the pieces to the key that unlocks the maze or whatever the endgame is.

I don't think it needs the journey section. Unless you go the more storytelling route, and then you could seed the event deck with the journey cards before building the maze.

Anyway, make that decision, and then continue asking questions to guide it somewhere. How long? How challenging? How often do you expect players to win/lose? How much randomness is in the game, and do players have ways to mitigate that randomness?

thank you, those are really good questions to make. I like the story telling better, as any horror thing (game, movie, or book), the participants must be immersed in the story to get scared, and that is my main goal with the game. About lenght i think 2 hours will be more than enough, and giving the chance to have some sort of check point to resume later is being considered. I want it to be hard, where a bad movement could kill you, as in real life would happen, that players will be scared to explore, yet they must have to. Funny that you mention Ghost Stories, as that is a very difficult game yet i really enjoy losing hahaha.
And about randomness, by now it is too random, players have 0 clues about what they could find at the very entrance of the maze... they couls totally die at the entrance, and that is something i dont want to happen, so i have to find a way to make the players peek the cards they will face, or increase difficulty the more deep they go into the maze, leaving easy events at the beginning.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
On a slightly unrelated note...

Look at your post and ask yourself how likely you'd be to read a post that long.

Consider paring down to the most essential information and formatting it so its easier to read. You'll get more responses.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
ByDeadlyHands wrote:
On a slightly unrelated note...

Look at your post and ask yourself how likely you'd be to read a post that long.

Consider paring down to the most essential information and formatting it so its easier to read. You'll get more responses.

i only use my phone, so it's not easy to do... i'll try to edit it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
edited, it wasnt that hard lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I love the idea of sins as the stats. Not so sure about the many phases. I wonder if you could do the drafting as part of the journey, and kind of roll all the pre-arrival sections together into kind of a flashback/montage?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Jlerpy wrote:
I love the idea of sins as the stats. Not so sure about the many phases. I wonder if you could do the drafting as part of the journey, and kind of roll all the pre-arrival sections together into kind of a flashback/montage?

that "flashback" thing could really work well :o i'll add it to the main ideas list, that could totally decrease gametime in preparation phases, possibly deleting them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
Here is an example of an event for the game. What do you think? (Sorry if it's not written well, i translated the event i already had made in spanish)

The cries of a woman made you look to a side. There she was, lying in the ground, barely visible in the darkness. For a moment, nobody knew what to do.
Every player gets -1 Apathy. If anyone has Apathy 0 or lower:
The cries were heartbreaking, and doing nothing was soaking into your counsciousness. You walked carfully towards her, taking the torch with you. But when you were closer, the scene froze you. She was a young girl with dark black hair, in her teens. She was facing contrary to you, to the darkness ahead in the maze. She was lying in a pool of her own blood, which flowed from her thighs, where the rest of her legs had been ripped off. As she listened the steps towards her, she turned her face to see you, with tears and horror in her eyes.
Move all characters with Apathy 0 or lower to a new adyacent tile and they must take a lit torch with them. After entering the new tile don't trigger it's effect and reveal the new tiles.
If a character in the tile has a weapon, that character may kill the young girl. If he or she does, it gains +5 Apathy and +4 Sadness. If no one does, each character in the tile gets +3 Sadness and +4 Fear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
Here is an example of an event for the game. What do you think? (Sorry if it's not written well, i translated the event i already had made in spanish)

The cries of a woman made you look to a side. There she was, lying in the ground, barely visible in the darkness. For a moment, nobody knew what to do.
The cries were heartbreaking, and doing nothing was soaking into your counsciousness. You walked carfully towards her, taking the torch with you. But when you were closer, the scene froze you. She was a young girl with dark black hair, in her teens. She was facing contrary to you, to the darkness ahead in the maze. She was lying in a pool of her own blood, which flowed from her thighs, where the rest of her legs had been ripped off. As she listened the steps towards her, she turned her face to see you, with tears and horror in her eyes.
Move all characters with Apathy 0 or lower to a new adyacent tile and they must take a lit torch with them. After entering the new tile don't trigger it's effect and reveal the new tiles.
If a character in the tile has a weapon, that character may kill the young girl. If he or she does, it gains +5 Apathy and +4 Sadness. If no one does, each character in the tile gets +3 Sadness and +4 Fear.

This is really verging into torture/rape porn territory (and here I use the word "porn" in a colloquial sense, as in "HGTV is like home reno porn" or the entire "safe for work porn network" on Reddit). Please re-think the use of (1) female characters/NPCs existing purely as plot devices/motivation for the characters, and (2) sexualized violence - you've focused your description on the brutalized NPC's appearance and age, and that she meets the player characters' gaze with "tears in her eyes." I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure if someone was getting their legs ripped off by demons, there would be high-pitched screaming regardless of gender, followed by going into shock, followed by death from massive blood loss, with very little time for any pleading gazes in the firelight.

I would strongly suggest you tone down the "damsel in distress, dying attractively by candlelight" stuff. If you want to horrify the players, give them enough to let their imaginations run wild - describe the shrieking, describe smears/pools of blood on the floor, maybe a limb left behind (but no "it was a shapely leg with a well-turned ankle" crap though) as if the monster had started rending the victim apart and then moved to another room, and let the players decide from there what to do and how sympathetic they are to the imagined victim.

I know you're trying to do a horror game, so I'm not saying "don't describe gore." I'm saying "make sure you don't confuse 'genuinely horrifying' with 'shock value/fetishized descriptions of gore.'"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
geerhead wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

This is really verging into torture/rape porn territory (and here I use the word "porn" in a colloquial sense, as in "HGTV is like home reno porn" or the entire "safe for work porn network" on Reddit). Please re-think the use of (1) female characters/NPCs existing purely as plot devices/motivation for the characters, and (2) sexualized violence - you've focused your description on the brutalized NPC's appearance and age, and that she meets the player characters' gaze with "tears in her eyes." I'm not a doctor, but I'm pretty sure if someone was getting their legs ripped off by demons, there would be high-pitched screaming regardless of gender, followed by going into shock, followed by death from massive blood loss, with very little time for any pleading gazes in the firelight.

I would strongly suggest you tone down the "damsel in distress, dying attractively by candlelight" stuff. If you want to horrify the players, give them enough to let their imaginations run wild - describe the shrieking, describe smears/pools of blood on the floor, maybe a limb left behind (but no "it was a shapely leg with a well-turned ankle" crap though) as if the monster had started rending the victim apart and then moved to another room, and let the players decide from there what to do and how sympathetic they are to the imagined victim.

I know you're trying to do a horror game, so I'm not saying "don't describe gore." I'm saying "make sure you don't confuse 'genuinely horrifying' with 'shock value/fetishized descriptions of gore.'"

maybe the description wasnt properly written tho... i meant to tell that someone had their legs ripped off and that, after some time, you found that person (the person woke after fainting maybe, and he/she's actually dying, so scared he/she starts to cry and scream in pain and you find him/her). The gender is actually the less important thing here, it could be a guy too, i just tend to switch genders for each NPC i write, usually starting with females, and this was the first event i wrote so... About the description, it is actually the way i write, i'm not used to describe my characters, and when i do their hair, eyes, and skin tone are what i describe.
But anyway, it's just an idea of something that could happen. The main point of the example is to show the mechanics if they look fine. In the example, the situation goes:
Players enter a tile and trigger the event. Players get -1 Apathy.
If any player has 0 or fewer Apathy the event continues.
All characters with 0 or fewer Apathy moves to a new tile.
Any player in that new tile can chose to kill the NPC, gaining +5 Apathy, and +4 Sadness; or maybe no one kills the NPC and all the characters in the tile get +3 Sadness +4 Fear.
Event ends.

I'll put the next event for another example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
maybe the description wasnt properly written tho... i meant to tell that someone had their legs ripped off and that, after some time, you found that person (the person woke after fainting maybe, and he/she's actually dying, so scared he/she starts to cry and scream in pain and you find him/her). The gender is actually the less important thing here, it could be a guy too, i just tend to switch genders for each NPC i write, usually starting with females, and this was the first event i wrote so... About the description, it is actually the way i write, i'm not used to describe my characters, and when i do their hair, eyes, and skin tone are what i describe.
But anyway, it's just an idea of something that could happen. The main point of the example is to show the mechanics if they look fine. In the example, the situation goes:
Players enter a tile and trigger the event. Players get -1 Apathy.
If any player has 0 or fewer Apathy the event continues.
All characters with 0 or fewer Apathy moves to a new tile.
Any player in that new tile can chose to kill the NPC, gaining +5 Apathy, and +4 Sadness; or maybe no one kills the NPC and all the characters in the tile get +3 Sadness +4 Fear.
Event ends.

I'll put the next event for another example

Oh, I didn't realize you weren't looking for feedback on the flavour text stuff. Maybe leave that out next time if that's not what you want feedback on. In general I would advise you to go for believeability, not cheesy tropes, or it's going to jolt people out of the narrative. I am pretty sure that without medical attention, no-one wakes up from that kind of massive blood loss. Go look up combat injuries or something.

For the "mechanics," it's impossible to comment in depth without knowing what function the Apathy, Sadness, Fear, and other statistics have in the game.

Based purely on what you have written, my understanding is:
Players are moving around from tile to tile.
Upon entering a tile, they may trigger an event. (How do they know whether an event is triggered? How are events distributed? Do players make any decisions about triggering events?)
The event has an immediate effect on player stats.
Each player makes a decision between one option and another. Their choice has a further effect on their stats.

Without knowing anything else about the game, this seems random and arbitrary. It really depends on what the rest of the game is like! For example, in Battlestar Galactica, one could also say that events (called crises in that game) are assigned randomly, they are encountered at an arbitrary frequency (one happens every turn, with very few exceptions), and they have a randomized effect on the players, usually negative, with very little that the players can do about it. At best, they can mitigate the problem so that nothing happens, but they use up resources they need in order to do it. Sounds pretty tedious! But it's only one little part of a very big game, and it's the context that make these events compelling.

Here, we are lacking context. It would be easier for us to comment, and for you to develop your game, if you could come up with a concise description of how this "dungeon-crawling" portion of your game work. Like a rules summary. Like, I don't know, "the players have stats for Apathy, Fear, Sadness, [and others]. They start out as numbers between x and y. The numbers are assigned by [random dice rolls/a point system/previous stages of the game/something else]. They'll move through the dungeon, where they may encounter [approximately this many] events. The events can affect their stats by [up to + or -5 each, or whatever number]. Their goal is to get through the dungeon without any of their stats dropping below [z]."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
ok, i'll work with that and come back when i have that figured out clearer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
geerhead wrote:

Oh, I didn't realize you weren't looking for feedback on the flavour text stuff. Maybe leave that out next time if that's not what you want feedback on. In general I would advise you to go for believeability, not cheesy tropes, or it's going to jolt people out of the narrative. I am pretty sure that without medical attention, no-one wakes up from that kind of massive blood loss. Go look up combat injuries or something.

and actually that was really helpful too, i hadnt thought about blood loss

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
hope this help

The game is a semi-cooperative suvival horror game set in a completely dark world.
The game begins with the character building. Each player chooses a role from: Assassin, Thief, Irresponsible, Rapist, and more. Each of those roles give bonuses to the stats of each character. The players build their characters drafting their abilities, divided into: Knowledge, Resistances, and Dexterities, all mixed together into a single deck that is divided among players to draf from there.
Each character has a wide number of stats, which represents their mindset, that can go from -5 to +5. Among these stats are: Apathy, Anger, Lust, Envy, Sadness, Fear, Disgust, and more. The stats help to decide which character is affected by certain events, which are more likely to be attacked, which would have a bigger chance to be possessed by a specific demon and so ong... At the beginning of the game, besides drafting the abilities and chosing a role, each player would have a cetain amount of negative points to distribute among their stats. The players also chose the sex of the character, which gives a bonus in their "skills", and also distribute an ammount of points among them: Strength, Dextery, Reflexes, and Intelligence.

After this phase, there is the preparation phase. In here, rhe player will have X "hours" aviable, and they cand decide to spend those hours preparing their resources. For each resource, the player will have to spend Y hours to obtain it.

Then it comes the main part of the game: Exploring the maze.
In this phase, players move along a modular board revealing tiles as they walk if they have a torch. As they enter new tiles, they trigger a random event, drawn from the "Events" deck. In this deck, players can face different kind of events: Flashbacks, Enemy Spawns, NPC spawns, challenges, and flavor events. Characters' stats, skills, and abilities come into play here to make the game variable, and events vary those stats along with each player's options. For example, you can choose between killing or not an NPC, with different results for each option, ranging from nothing at all to dying, including, but not limited to: changing stats, receiving damage, getting more resources, advancing more spaces, encounters with monsters, encounters with NPCs...

The combat would be in turns, having the enemy its turn first. Each enemy will have an AI deck for attacks, and an AI deck for defense, as well as a "Enemy Sheet" with normal behavior. The combat will be with dice rolling. The characters would add their skills to the rolls for attack and defense, along with any bonus provided by the abilities and their weapons if any.

The main goal of the game is to reach the exit of the maze without dying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
patrick mullen
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are heading into a weird sort of territory with the event you described. On the one hand, there is story situation (come across someone in pain, choose whether to kill them via mercy or leave them be). And on the other hand, there is math saying "you will get afraid if you do this and afraid if you do this". You get some sad either way.

As geerhead says, without knowing the rest of the game, it's hard to know whether to choose to go for fear or apathy. But herein lies the rub...

I am deciding what choice to make in a narrative based on what mechanics are available. No matter which choice I make, the context of the choice is going to make my own in-real-life apathy score go up, and disconnect me from the story.

It's not necessarily the wrong way to do it (it's a tried and true mechanic for narrative based games) but just know that this path will hurt your narrative. This is true in games like Betrayal on the Hill (which your game strongly resembles) or Arkham Horror. I stopped reading the actual story in Betrayal long ago, and wasn't that into it even in my first play.

If you keep these kind of mechanics, less is definitely more in terms of the storytelling. I know you are coming from your novel, but the mediums are very different. I think two or three sentences should be what you should aim for. "You come upon a poor soul whose legs have been torn from one of the horrors stalking these halls. They are still alive, but won't last long and cannot be saved."

I'm also not sure about the apathy mechanics which enable you to take part in this event or not. Reading the description, I feel like the game is playing me rather than the other way around. There is a hurt person and I can't even CHOOSE whether or not to investigate? I can only investigate if my character has happened to encounter other things to make them less apathetic?

These kind of mechanics take away the player's agency, or the feeling that they are in control. Not necessarily in control of the opposition that they face in a game, but at least in control of how their character is going to respond.

Also, not to pile on, but I have a hard time with these kinds of moral decisions in a game. (which is the only decision on your card) It's kind of related to my first point. If there are no mechanics to back up choosing to do the "right" thing (whatever you think that might be) then within the context of the game it's not actually a decision at all. On the other hand, if there ARE mechanics, than players tend to choose according to the mechanics rather than the moral situation.

There may be ways to handle them that can work. Digital games (bioware for instance) usually not only have the mechanical aspect, but also hard coded story threads that are more satisfying if completed the right way. If you later encounter the soul of that victim you killed, they can tell you whether they appreciated the mercy killing, or how upset they are that you walked by and ignored their suffering. (It's also a chance to maybe have an outcome that subverts expectations) But pulling off these kind of connections in what I'm assuming is a shuffled deck of events is not easy - which is why you don't see it done often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
Each player chooses a role from: Assassin, Thief, Irresponsible, Rapist, and more.

So you're actually explicitly incorporating rape as a game mechanic?? yuk gulp The real horror here is that you think this is ok. Disgusting. I'm out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
geerhead wrote:
xchikyx wrote:
Each player chooses a role from: Assassin, Thief, Irresponsible, Rapist, and more.

So you're actually explicitly incorporating rape as a game mechanic?? yuk gulp The real horror here is that you think this is ok. Disgusting. I'm out.

It's not a mechanic, it's a role. The idea is that each character is the worst of the society.
There will not be rape situatios inside the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chiky Scares You
msg tools
more events examples

You heard a roar coming from the darkness yet to be revealed. You got paralized for a moment, as you could heard some movement in the depths of the maze.
All characters get +2 Fear. If a character has +5 fear it can't move during its next turn.

The light of the torch was dancingin the floor ahead. It was a small pond, with barely enough water for each oh you to quench thirst.
Each character in the tile may gain -5 in a Stat of their choice and decrease their thirst to 0. If a player doesn't and has an empty bladder, he or she can fill it with water.

A strange figure in front of you waved its hand, calling you.
Roll 1d10 and add your Will to the roll. If the result is 5 or lower end the event. Otherwise:
You were curious, as the figure seemed to be a person, and walked closer to it. It was a person, indeed, with a hood covering it's head. It was a young woman, with blonde hair. You couldn't see her eyes, as they were covered by the hood. "Are you hungry?" she asked with a delicated voice, extending her hands to you, full of fruits.
Move your character to a new tile, but don't trigger its event. You may take any number of Fruit. For each one you take beyond the first you gain +1 Gluttony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benj Davis
Australia
Summer Hill
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
xchikyx wrote:
geerhead wrote:
xchikyx wrote:

It's not a mechanic, it's a role. The idea is that each character is the worst of the society.
There will not be rape situatios inside the game.

It might be better to frame it as what your crime was, which led to your exile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.