Chris Hawks
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The instructions for the Lonely Cowboy are frustratingly vague. It says he "replaces the robber", but it isn't entirely clear whether that means he still functions as the robber (in addition to the new Cowboy rules) or not.

I'm guessing the Cowboy still steals cards, as that's the only way I can figure to interpret the "singing for supper":
rules wrote:
When the lonely cowboy visits you, he will sing for his supper and you will gladly pay him.
Quote:
Whenever you roll a "7", the usual actions are carried out normally. (Discards (if any), move the cowboy, "sing" for a card etc.)
However, once again, this is not made explicit.

The next question, then, is does he also block hex production just like the robber?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
claudio keller
msg tools
I think the cowboy rob your money...and not in a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Regards,
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salt-Man Z wrote:
The instructions for the Lonely Cowboy are frustratingly vague. It says he "replaces the robber", but it isn't entirely clear whether that means he still functions as the robber (in addition to the new Cowboy rules) or not.

I'm guessing the Cowboy still steals cards, as that's the only way I can figure to interpret the "singing for supper":
rules wrote:
When the lonely cowboy visits you, he will sing for his supper and you will gladly pay him.
Quote:
Whenever you roll a "7", the usual actions are carried out normally. (Discards (if any), move the cowboy, "sing" for a card etc.)
However, once again, this is not made explicit.

The next question, then, is does he also block hex production just like the robber?

Your interpretation sounds correct, though you could interpret the "sing" part another way: since the rules imply that paying the lonely cowboy is semi-voluntary, perhaps the "robbed" character could instead choose which resource card to pay to the cowboy.

Aside from that, it does indeed seem that the lonely cowboy functions the same as the robber, except for removing the resource-blocking function and adding in the Nashville resource bonus. (I don't think the cowboy is intended to block resources since he instead rewards players.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.