Popular Tags: [View All]
Nathan M
United States
Knoxville
TN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've owned this game for quite a while now and played many games with many different people. I recently picked up my fifth expansion to the game (Enchanting, Knightly, Seafaring, Animal, Fairy) and I couldn't be happier. I've also bought this game as a gift for several people.

I'll start with first impressions.

I wanted this game for a long time because the blurb on the back of the box really interested me. When I got it, I was not disappointed.

My thoughts:
1. Each player has their own Ending card, so each person is trying to shape the story in a different way, including introducing characters, themes, and such that they need present at the end of the game. This can be an exciting aspect of the game when you realize your opponent needs some character for a love story that you don't need and kill him off.devil

2. Interrupt cards are great for competitive storytelling, but not so great for sparking the imagination like the cards with pictures on them. I wish they had pictures on the interrupt cards.

3. Sometimes there is nothing you can do but sit and listen to the story. The rulebook suggests that you ask the storyteller for more details to try to get them to mention something on one of your cards. Sometimes that works, mostly it doesn't. If you are in a big game, maybe one of the other players will help you, but sometimes you sit and listen. If you're lucky, the story you are hearing is interesting at least.

4. The more you play with the same people, the more you will enjoy playing with those people, generally. You get to understand the kind of stories you each like telling and can move to that type of game much more quickly. New players take some time to learn the pacing and grow confident in their storytelling.

5. Foreshadowing is the most useful thing you can do. Mention that your band of heroes needs to go to the tower (while holding a card that says tower) and don't actually play the card so you can give yourself an opening to steal the story back later on. This gives you the opportunity to be descriptive without going to words that other players might have.

6. As players become more familiar with the game, they tend to shy away from words they know are on other cards in the game.

7. My favorite way to play the game is in a more cooperative format in which every player takes turns telling the story while working toward a common ending. This allows for the best narratives the game can produce because you are not suddenly heading in random directions when a new player takes control of the story.

8. Lastly, I absolutely love this game. It's a great way to explore the imagination and have a few laughs with your friends!

Check out my Review Writing Challange.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.