Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
okonek okonek
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hi,

Im a begginer in KD:M and just want to know how good is this game in solo play? Is it doable? Is there a lot of fun and how hard is to play solo when you compare it to multiplayer game?

Best
Luck
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Martyn
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
KDM plays great solo or multiplayer. It's one of the best solo games I own. There is a lot to keep track of, though, and learning the all the rules for KDM isn't easy whether you're playing solo or not.

If you have further questions, I may sneakily redirect you to my thread - https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1683147/new-kdm-everything-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Blaine French

Temple
Texas
msg tools
mbmb
I've done both. Solo is feasible, there are some great modified record sheets in the files section here in BGG that help immensely. The record keeping can get a bit tedious when you're playing solo. For me the sweet spot is 2 players. That way you have one person on rules and events while the other is on record keeping. Plus the epic narrative in my opinion is more fun when shared.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
Solo is very doable and enjoyable; as noted it's very highly regarded solo game. I think the sweet spot for the game is two.

There is a lot of bookkeeping but the bigger sheets help a lot. I just started a solo campaign myself and biggest advice I can give you is take your time. Have space to spread out the sheets and just take your time and the game is great even when alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
I've been waiting for KD:M to come out again mainly for the solo play aspect of it.

In addition to his review video of the game that is in the video section of the forum,

https://boardgamegeek.com/video/80716/kingdom-death-monster/...

Nick Meenachen (Boardgamebralwer) came out with his "Top 10 Solo Games" list several months ago. He has KD:M as his #1 game. (Time stamp 21:30)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ny9EjcTG1IA

One persons nice generalized review of how it plays solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
bibious wrote:
Solo is very doable and enjoyable; as noted it's very highly regarded solo game. I think the sweet spot for the game is two.

There is a lot of bookkeeping but the bigger sheets help a lot. I just started a solo campaign myself and biggest advice I can give you is take your time. Have space to spread out the sheets and just take your time and the game is great even when alone.

This. Take your time to account for everything that is in front of your nose on the board and sheets and you'll be fine. The main drawback of playing solo is that oyu have to be aware of 4 survivor characters, but if you don't rush youll be fine. You will obviously miss the coop part of settlement development and other group decisions, but that's sometimes an advantage too XD

And besides, no early kill will leave you out of a showdown heheh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Koch
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Like the other people said before: It's a great game to play solo. I played it with my group once, after this evening I had to own this game. Afterwards our group played it a second time. Since then a year passed in which I always played solo. Book keeping is a very important thing, but it's manageable. Sid's record sheets are very good. You can easily everything necessary and have a nice overview. They are printer and space friendly and you don't need to use your original sheets.
Another large part of this hobby - I call Kingdom Death a hobby due to it's complexity (Playing, building miniatures & terrain, painting and the community of course) - is the building and painting. If you are into this, it's totally great. There are so many possibilities to build your survivors and to paint them afterwards, which is also great solo fun (of course you can paint with your gaming group, too). I totally enjoy it for almost a year now and never regretted a single Cent Or minute I invested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Montgomery Box
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
There are also some great web sites that help with campaign management. I've been using kdm-manager.com, which has a great interface and is being well maintained. It'll help you with everything from survivor record sheets to the settlement sheet, and update the timeline for what expansions you want to use.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Solo is great but tough to manage at times. For whatever reason, I have more trouble soloing this game than Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is extremely fiddly. As others have said, take your time and acknowledge that you will miss a rule from time to time. It's a great solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam D
msg tools
mbmb
I've only played solo (hoping to get a multiplayer campaign starred in the new year).

Organising everything is the key. I've only just got space on my table for the board, so the gear grids are on a chair next to me. Cards are often dealt into the board, in a corner I am not being murderised in.

Things I forget/do to try to not forgot

Use different sculpts for the different survivors, they are easier to tell apart than the starting four survivors. I also write what the model is on the character sheet and what weapon they are using

Try to use survivor models that have the rightish weapon for the gear grid. For example use a zanbanto survivor for someone with a rib blade, rather than a katar.

Keep all of the trait cards close at hand. My most common mistakes are forgetting the butcher draws two AI cards, putting cards that ten trigger abilities and so on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Reed
United States
LINCOLNTON
NC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know the post asked about solo but just my overall thoughts on all player counts.

5-6 player- I have never played at this player count but I can honestly say I never will. Its neat that its included but just to many people.

4 player- The problem with 4 player is that if someone dies on the hunt or very early they will not have a character control. They can still give advice or input but from experience its not the same. I also find that its more difficult to get a consensus on which direction to take your settlement.

3 player- Having a player who is controlling two survivor is great because if someone loses there character early they can take the second survivor. I did not mention it in the 4 player but something that effects both player counts is often the need for a support character who's main job is to manipulate the deck. This is not always the most engaging job. I think the game really starts to shine at this player count however...

2-player- For me this is the PERFECT player count. Because each player controls two characters there always involved in the showdown. I have also found that its much easier to pick a direction for the settlement. Me and my wife play a lot two player and we spend a fair amount of time thinking about each decision and the impact it will have on the game.

SOLO- Really a great game to play solo. I have found that I really enjoy being able to micro manage every aspect of the settlement. I don't really have a problem keeping up with the rules and find that I seem to make less mistakes when Solo then with higher player counts. Took the spot of Mage Knight as my favorite solo game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bibious P
msg tools
mbmb
ravenblade23x wrote:
I know the post asked about solo but just my overall thoughts on all player counts.

5-6 player- I have never played at this player count but I can honestly say I never will. Its neat that its included but just to many people.

4 player- The problem with 4 player is that if someone dies on the hunt or very early they will not have a character control. They can still give advice or input but from experience its not the same. I also find that its more difficult to get a consensus on which direction to take your settlement.

3 player- Having a player who is controlling two survivor is great because if someone loses there character early they can take the second survivor. I did not mention it in the 4 player but something that effects both player counts is often the need for a support character who's main job is to manipulate the deck. This is not always the most engaging job. I think the game really starts to shine at this player count however...

2-player- For me this is the PERFECT player count. Because each player controls two characters there always involved in the showdown. I have also found that its much easier to pick a direction for the settlement. Me and my wife play a lot two player and we spend a fair amount of time thinking about each decision and the impact it will have on the game.

SOLO- Really a great game to play solo. I have found that I really enjoy being able to micro manage every aspect of the settlement. I don't really have a problem keeping up with the rules and find that I seem to make less mistakes when Solo then with higher player counts. Took the spot of Mage Knight as my favorite solo game.

I agree with all of Daniel's points above, spot on with the player counts. The big thing about 4 players is the people you play with. If someone gets knocked out and is easily bored or upset it will dampen the mood, however if someone gets knocked out and stays engaged it can really help the rest of the crew. This game has amazing moments all the time and its easy to get caught up in the excitement of a critical or special event or whatever and you can easily skip something or do something sub-optimal.

To me, 2 players is the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
okonek okonek
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Always this Player that was killed can do the "monster staff " in 4 players game.

Thank you for all anwser now Im sure that I will be able to play alone and it will be a great adventure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Whalen
United States
Pasadena
California
flag msg tools
mb
I invested so heavily into this game because of how great the solo experience was talked up to me at Gencon this year.

Ever since I played through Pandemic Legacy with a roleplay-oriented group of friends, I have been doing small narrative write-ups for games that lend themselves to be the bases of creative writing exercises. Kingdom Death solo has been a fantastic source of these creative write-ups, as the setting/mechanics leave a lot to the imagination, and solo play means that I can get up and write whenever the urge strikes (stemming from frustration or inspiration.)

(Example: In my prologue, I never made a single wound success until two of my surviors had already been dragged away and mauled. They had hit the thing over twelve times! How did that happen? Write something up about being unfamiliar with using founding stones. Third survivor has their chest explode while their arm is being ripped out at the same time. Flip the table? No. Realize that, especially since they were knocked down, the lion had stood on their chest while yanking their arm off with its mouth.)

To compensate for the lack of cooperative idea sharing during settlement phases, I name my survivors after the polticians I last saw on Yahoo!News, and then use their personalities to inform on what choices to make. It worked pretty well for my November campaign, except when Gary Johnson and Jill Stein attempted an intimacy event, rolled a 1, and left Mike Pence as the lone survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fito R
Argentina
flag msg tools
panopticpundit wrote:
To compensate for the lack of cooperative idea sharing during settlement phases, I name my survivors after the polticians I last saw on Yahoo!News, and then use their personalities to inform on what choices to make. It worked pretty well for my November campaign, except when Gary Johnson and Jill Stein attempted an intimacy event, rolled a 1, and left Mike Pence as the lone survivor.
Art imitates life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
okonek wrote:
Hi,

Im a begginer in KD:M and just want to know how good is this game in solo play? Is it doable? Is there a lot of fun and how hard is to play solo when you compare it to multiplayer game?

Best
Luck

Depends on you.

Personally, I much prefer it solo. There's less arguing about what to build and innovate in the settlement. The experience also becomes more emotional.

Management and tracking get easier as you learn the game, you'll learn all kinds of tricks.

Also, approach a KD session like a fine dining... don't rush things, just savour the process and make an occasion out of the bookeeping process.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
United States
Pleasant Hill
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have not played this yet but from the videos, and posts above, it seems that the hardest thing to manage solo will be what mini is who, whose turn it is, as well as all the stats on the sheets such as hit locations. I can't say that I am thrillled with the black and white sheets used to track these things. With today's interfaces in these type of games, it seems overly archaic. Why not just have 4 Hero boards with chits to mark wounds and all the stats like other games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
Solo is great but tough to manage at times. For whatever reason, I have more trouble soloing this game than Sentinels of the Multiverse, which is extremely fiddly. As others have said, take your time and acknowledge that you will miss a rule from time to time. It's a great solo game.

It's funny because I was actually going to say how I find KD:M easier to keep track of than Sentinels lol.

I think one important thing to consider is that KD:M starts you off much slower. The rulebook is really good, and completely walks you through everything.

When you play your first battle, you don't really have any special abilities, fancy armor, swords that do X or Y, etc. Its just you, a broken piece of stone, and your wits!

This makes it easier to grasp the mechanics of the game. And then as you progress forward, each battle gets you more stuff that does more "things". Towards the end, yeah there is a lot to keep track of, but you are adding it gradually all along.

I'm sure at its peak or even midpoint KD:M has more, but the way it evolves over time, I always felt comfortable with it. I remember being so overwhelmed playing Sentinels solo lol.

One thing I've found helpful is that I have a small round glass counter on each player sheet. When that character goes that round, I move the counter up above the sheet. This way I can track who has gone this round. Then when the rounds over, I move all the counters back. It helps me, since sometimes I get interrupted or need to pull the rulebook out.

For me this is the ultimate solo game. I spend so much time with it. The fiddliness is less to me because it becomes second nature after awhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lonny x
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
hwknight wrote:

Personally, I much prefer it solo. There's less arguing about what to build and innovate in the settlement. The experience also becomes more emotional.

Management and tracking get easier as you learn the game, you'll learn all kinds of tricks.

Also, approach a KD session like a fine dining... don't rush things, just savour the process and make an occasion out of the bookeeping process.

Haha, hopefully there is no arguing when your playing solo I agree with this though. I absolutely love solo but like hwknight wrote, take it slow. There is a lot of book keeping and if you try to fly through that your going to get frustrated and miss rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Martin
msg tools
KD:M in my humble opinion is best played solo. I enjoy playing with other people, but with how much I've played it and how little my friends have, it's hard not to be an alpha gamer and I usually feel like an ass since I'll try to help them make decisions but it usually comes off as me just telling them what to do. I've been trying my best recently to use the Narrative style and act as the DM to give them a chance to do things themselves while I get to actively try to wreck them as the monsters. Hahaha
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nerds call me
United States
N Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
freudianslip27 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

It's funny because I was actually going to say how I find KD:M easier to keep track of than Sentinels lol.

I think one important thing to consider is that KD:M starts you off much slower. The rulebook is really good, and completely walks you through everything.

When you play your first battle, you don't really have any special abilities, fancy armor, swords that do X or Y, etc. Its just you, a broken piece of stone, and your wits!

This makes it easier to grasp the mechanics of the game. And then as you progress forward, each battle gets you more stuff that does more "things". Towards the end, yeah there is a lot to keep track of, but you are adding it gradually all along.

I'm sure at its peak or even midpoint KD:M has more, but the way it evolves over time, I always felt comfortable with it. I remember being so overwhelmed playing Sentinels solo lol.

One thing I've found helpful is that I have a small round glass counter on each player sheet. When that character goes that round, I move the counter up above the sheet. This way I can track who has gone this round. Then when the rounds over, I move all the counters back. It helps me, since sometimes I get interrupted or need to pull the rulebook out.

For me this is the ultimate solo game. I spend so much time with it. The fiddliness is less to me because it becomes second nature after awhile.

That's funny! I can see how both KDM and Sentinels can get bogged down with upkeep but they are both games.

I do use a couple of tricks to help keep things straight in my head when playing KDM solo:

1. I use the green lantern tokens for each survivor to show they have used their turn. After they use their actions, I flip the token from the green to black side.

2. I use 4 different colored dice for each survival action for each survivor. Once they've used a certain survival action, I take the dice off of their sheet.

3. I sort my survivors in alphabetical order from left to right. It helps keep their miniatures sorted during a showdown.

4. I drink whiskey while I play so I don't worry about missing rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Shrewsbury
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:
freudianslip27 wrote:
dorktron2000 wrote:

That's funny! I can see how both KDM and Sentinels can get bogged down with upkeep but they are both games.

I do use a couple of tricks to help keep things straight in my head when playing KDM solo:

1. I use the green lantern tokens for each survivor to show they have used their turn. After they use their actions, I flip the token from the green to black side.

2. I use 4 different colored dice for each survival action for each survivor. Once they've used a certain survival action, I take the dice off of their sheet.

3. I sort my survivors in alphabetical order from left to right. It helps keep their miniatures sorted during a showdown.

#2 that is a great idea. I do have an occasional issue with that in later lantern years. I'm going to try this!

#3 I've had some goof up sometimes where I'll move the wrong survivor

Making mistakes 2 and 3 because...

#4! Yes! I almost always enjoy a beer while playing lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
okonek okonek
Poland
Warszawa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dorktron2000 wrote:

I always do thesame trick
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike B.
msg tools
I have just finished my first solo campaign. It was great fun - definetly a game you can play solo - BUT: at least in my case, boy is it easy to forget about modifiers, fighting arts, disorders and all that other stuff. Especially once you get to the mid- and endgame. There is just so much going on.

In the end, I have just wrote down my total stats for each survivor (meaning including any modifiers) to help, but I still missed a ton. That is kinda frustrating - but I don't have the patience to go over everything at the start of each turn. Maybe that get's better with more experience...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Awaited King
msg tools
mbmbmb
Basically I just agree with everything written above.

Playing alone is fun but can be a little overwhelming when it comes to book-keeping. Forgetting about some stuff is imminent. But hey... you will also forget about modifiers and and fighting arts when playing with more people.

All in all I love playing KD solo. It's like enjoying a good book Whisky or some other vice of choice is a good tip, but can lead to some poor choices Important part of of playing solo is the fact, that you can play quite fast once you know the rules and you can also play more often

Two players - a definite sweetspot. Easier to handle everything and you have someone to share the joy of the tale that is unfolding. With two dedicated players it is very easy to meet once a week or so.

Three players - also ok, if you have a dedicated team it's probably a very good idea, but I found that meeting regulary was MUCH harder then with just 2 players. We ended up playing once a month.

Four players - only played once, someone died in the beginning of a tutorial fight and was bored and distrated, that lead to other players also not having so much fun, the overall mood was weak and we never met again like that. Maybe it was just bad luck but from what every other person is writing this might be more of a rule

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.