Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
15 Posts

Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Trying to understand AH:LCG Cycle structure rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
So..

Past LCGs have released a core set, and then started a cycle with small box offerings. Periodically, and unrelated to specific cycle themes, a large box will be released, generally dedicated to expanding on a faction or theme.

Am I correct in assuming Arkham Horror is deviating from this practice -- releasing large box expansions at the start of a cycle, and then finalizing the narrative ark through small box expansions? Do we know (from informal contact through conventions, or the like) whether we'll see large box expansions dedicated to fleshing out specific factions still (i.e. large boxes dedicated to something other than specifically starting out the next cycle)?

Is January the ETA for the first small box offerings? They'll be expanding the Dunwich line, yes?

Thanks (one and all).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It's more in line with LotR LCG that required a big box to be able to use the six separate small packs.

It's likely due to the story driven nature of the game, since it provides more variety up front.
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Your initial understanding is correct. Your assumption re: Arkham is also correct. Dunwich Horror will start the cycle with two scenarios and player cards. The mythos packs will feature scenarios 3-8 of the cycle as well as more player cards. Presumably the second boxed expansion will start the next scenario.

FFG has not announced its intentions beyond the first cycle. They may release small box expansions that focus on certain aspects of the core game but have not indicated it yet. I can see them releasing an expansion of "side quests" that can make their own campaign or be used as additional content to prolong an existing campaign (think Return to Hoth for Imperial Assault). Then again, it may just be pure story arcs for a while. We just don't have that information yet.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B.D. Flory
United States
New York
flag msg tools
The norm will be a big box launches each cycle, and the two are narratively linked in an 8 scenario campaign. It's safe to asume the cycle will also develop mechanical themes intro'd in the box, particularly including support for new investigators, which seem to come only in boxes.

Based on LotR, I doubt they'll do faction boxes like they do for their competitive LCGs. Though they might use boxes outside the standard box/cycle pattern to play around with things like game modes -- big boxes for LotR intro'd campaign play, for example.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shan Rievan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmb
Deluxe to introduce a new campaign with a couple of scenarios. Then the packs to continue on with the story. It looks like new investigators and some cards per faction to help boost some deckbuilding options.

Like you said, it would be nice to see if they release for specific factions which would then bring the entire focus of that story arc around that 1 faction. Then it would sort of be harder(?) for other factions to complete that mission (solo or otherwise).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Vampyur wrote:
It's more in line with LotR LCG that required a big box to be able to use the six separate small packs.

It's likely due to the story driven nature of the game, since it provides more variety up front.


Lord of the Rings didn't start with a big box. It went core - small boxes - big box - small box.

This is going: core - big box - small boxes - ?

kelann08 wrote:
Your initial understanding is correct. Your assumption re: Arkham is also correct. Dunwich Horror will start the cycle with two scenarios and player cards. The mythos packs will feature scenarios 3-8 of the cycle as well as more player cards. Presumably the second boxed expansion will start the next scenario.

FFG has not announced its intentions beyond the first cycle. They may release small box expansions that focus on certain aspects of the core game but have not indicated it yet. I can see them releasing an expansion of "side quests" that can make their own campaign or be used as additional content to prolong an existing campaign (think Return to Hoth for Imperial Assault). Then again, it may just be pure story arcs for a while. We just don't have that information yet.


Killer (this was what I was looking for). I pieced together my impression from the official articles, but haven't been paying attention to the BGG side of things till now (i.e. I may have missed some unofficial chatter).
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Marley
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
It also seems that the Deluxes will focus on Level 0 cards, and the cycle will add higher level cards to give more deckbuilding options as the campaign expands.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Tackett
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmb
Anarchosyn wrote:
Lord of the Rings didn't start with a big box. It went core - small boxes - big box - small box.

This is going: core - big box - small boxes - ?

If I remember correctly, the first cycle of LotR used the encounter sets from the core to round out the quests. I don't think Arkham's doing that (or at least not as heavily), so you can think of LotR's core acting as the springboard for the first cycle, whereas Arkham is using the core as an "intro" campaign.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
XShagrath wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
Lord of the Rings didn't start with a big box. It went core - small boxes - big box - small box.

This is going: core - big box - small boxes - ?

If I remember correctly, the first cycle of LotR used the encounter sets from the core to round out the quests. I don't think Arkham's doing that (or at least not as heavily), so you can think of LotR's core acting as the springboard for the first cycle, whereas Arkham is using the core as an "intro" campaign.


Yes, interestingly it seems the AH core isn't getting its own cycle.


1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
reaching out from the in-between spaces...
United States
Baldwin
New York
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
kelann08 wrote:
Your initial understanding is correct. Your assumption re: Arkham is also correct. Dunwich Horror will start the cycle with two scenarios and player cards. The mythos packs will feature scenarios 3-8 of the cycle as well as more player cards. Presumably the second boxed expansion will start the next scenario.

FFG has not announced its intentions beyond the first cycle. They may release small box expansions that focus on certain aspects of the core game but have not indicated it yet. I can see them releasing an expansion of "side quests" that can make their own campaign or be used as additional content to prolong an existing campaign (think Return to Hoth for Imperial Assault). Then again, it may just be pure story arcs for a while. We just don't have that information yet.
]

Well the print-on-demand expansion that was recently released can be used as a side quest in the core campaign, so it does look like we will get side quests here and there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
www.punchboardmedia.com/geaux-gaming/
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Jorune wrote:
kelann08 wrote:
Your initial understanding is correct. Your assumption re: Arkham is also correct. Dunwich Horror will start the cycle with two scenarios and player cards. The mythos packs will feature scenarios 3-8 of the cycle as well as more player cards. Presumably the second boxed expansion will start the next scenario.

FFG has not announced its intentions beyond the first cycle. They may release small box expansions that focus on certain aspects of the core game but have not indicated it yet. I can see them releasing an expansion of "side quests" that can make their own campaign or be used as additional content to prolong an existing campaign (think Return to Hoth for Imperial Assault). Then again, it may just be pure story arcs for a while. We just don't have that information yet.
]

Well the print-on-demand expansion that was recently released can be used as a side quest in the core campaign, so it does look like we will get side quests here and there.


That's what made me think that, but it's not necessarily proof. We will have to wait and see if they do happen and if they will appear as more POD or in a boxed expansion.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:


Yes, interestingly it seems the AH core isn't getting its own cycle.




As someone who isn't all-in on the game, not having the option for small purchases to increase my core cardpool is a bummer. Getting the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle was what got me ramped up to invest in the next cycle of LotR. And then that got me ramped up for the sagas, and then things started to happily spiral out of control. Not sure I'm going to catch the AHTCG bug.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Castree
Japan
Osaka
Osaka
flag msg tools
ACGalaga.com
badge
What da heck?!
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Robrob wrote:
XShagrath wrote:
Anarchosyn wrote:
Lord of the Rings didn't start with a big box. It went core - small boxes - big box - small box.

This is going: core - big box - small boxes - ?

If I remember correctly, the first cycle of LotR used the encounter sets from the core to round out the quests. I don't think Arkham's doing that (or at least not as heavily), so you can think of LotR's core acting as the springboard for the first cycle, whereas Arkham is using the core as an "intro" campaign.


Yes, interestingly it seems the AH core isn't getting its own cycle.




I relized this probably has to do with the investigator count. Since investigators die throughout the campaign it could be incredibly difficult to get through a whole cycle with just the core 5. Especially with 4 players (only one investigator in reserve.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Enon Sci
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
titusm wrote:
Robrob wrote:


Yes, interestingly it seems the AH core isn't getting its own cycle.




As someone who isn't all-in on the game, not having the option for small purchases to increase my core cardpool is a bummer. Getting the Shadows of Mirkwood cycle was what got me ramped up to invest in the next cycle of LotR. And then that got me ramped up for the sagas, and then things started to happily spiral out of control. Not sure I'm going to catch the AHTCG bug.


AH:LCG's approach is actually superior -- instead of the slow drip feed of cards, where only a handful relate to a particular faction per pack, Dunwich will inject the necessary infusion of 59 new player cards in one fail swoop. This will get people into deck building faster.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Titus M
msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense. The extra $15 isn't much of a plunge to an LCG'er.

I'll start saving my allowance...
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.