Smash Up» Forums » Variants

Subject: new madness themed deck CTHULU'S WRATH rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Zandler Chavez
United States
California
flag msg tools
OK SO I KNOW MOST PEOPLE DON'T LIKE THE CTHULU EXPANSION, but i had an idea of a great deck to make another faction. the CTHULU'S Wrath faction
would consist of:
Cthulu x1: power 10: Ongoing: if you have zero points you win the game. this card is a madness card that can not be returned to the madness pile
madness x19: actions and madness minions. all different with different abilities and minions. all having Ongoing: this card is a madness card that can not be returned to the madness pile

the idea being having all your card be worth madness and having to get enough points for the madness not to count. so you start the game with negative ten points and you work your way with weaker cards to get sero to play Cthulhu to win the game

i thought it was a good idea. along with this the expansion would also add more madness cards.
could be part of a gods deck expansion. maybe i don't know

Anyway let me know your thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you realize that madness VP penalty only applies if the game is going to end.
Also if you draw it early it makes you win the game in a very anticlimactic way.

Another thing is that your deck would always have a 10 VP penalty. Since card a in the deck, hand and discard pile are considered for the penalty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Young
United States
virginia beach
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
desocupado wrote:
Do you realize that madness VP penalty only applies if the game is going to end.
Also if you draw it early it makes you win the game in a very anticlimactic way.

Another thing is that your deck would always have a 10 VP penalty. Since card a in the deck, hand and discard pile are considered for the penalty.

Any game that has a 1 turn win functionality is anti-fun for both the opponent and player. It is just random, and means you have to clean up the very short game you just played to play another. If you play with the base rules that means separating all those bases as well which is just another pain.

I agree this is just silly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the idea is that you'd start at negative ten, thanks to your bases, and have to race to exactly ten to be able to play your powerful minion which only lets you win if you get to 0vp. I agree it's not a great idea, but I think you two might be misunderstanding it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre Oliveira
Brazil
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My point is mechanically he's conflicting with the rules - you don't start at -10 VP since you have 20 madness cards in your deck.

As written the only way to play the leader is to do so before you score any vp. Also, even if you were to go the way he's intending to endorse, it basically means 5 free VP.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United States
Kansas City
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I see what you're saying, madness are only counted up endgame and not during the game.

And yes, the free VP are the biggest issue with the idea. You're not really hampered by the madness cards existing in your deck so it's basically spotting this player 5 vp.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.